Socket 754 Upgrade from 2800 to 3400 - Windows Hangs on Boot

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Just dropped in a new Athlon 754 3400 CPU. Applied thermal paste and heatsink. Turned on computer and Windows hangs mid-way through booting. This was the only item changed.

Computer was stable for the last 18 months with the previous processor being a athlon 64 2800.

Motherboard is: Asus K8V-X
Chipsets: VIA K8T800 and VIA VT8237

Ideas or suggestions please.

Just dropped in a new Athlon 754 3400 CPU. Applied thermal paste and heatsink. Turned on computer and Windows hangs mid-way through booting. This was the only item changed.

Computer was stable for the last 18 months with the previous processor being a athlon 64 2800.

Motherboard is: Asus K8V-X
Chipsets: VIA K8T800 and VIA VT8237

Ideas or suggestions please.

I dropped my 754 3400 2.4 in where I had a 3400 2.2 Clawhammer. I had no problem on the switch out, but originally I had a problem booting up (hang loading into windows). I had to uninstall the Nvidia 91.31 video drivers and use an older Nvida driver version. Don't know if this applies to you, but HTH

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
uber_g, thanks for the feedback. I will certainly do this. Both you and badge have the same suggestions. I am very curious as to why this will fix this, I am not doubting you, just very curious to learn.

This seemed like such a benign procedure.

Thank you!

uber_g, thanks for the feedback. I will certainly do this. Both you and badge have the same suggestions. I am very curious as to why this will fix this, I am not doubting you, just very curious to learn.

This seemed like such a benign procedure.

Thank you!

You could do a repair with the windows CD. This might get you into windows.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Reseting the CMOC will clear all the "Memory" it had when u had your older CPU in so if u clear it, it should detect it as a Newer CPU and Reconfigure everything

as with the Drivers, u should always unistall them just to be shure there isnt incompadability issues with your Hardware

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I got the system to boot. I was operating under the assumption that the mobo had the most recent bios, as when I purchased the mobo it was fairly late in its life cycle.

Bottom line, I flashed the bios with support for new processors and it booted flawlessly.

If only I would have checked the bios in the first place.

Thanks for all your help!!!