SURBL and windows 2000 DNS

pankaj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004

I am planning to use SURBL (www.SURBL.org) for spam control. Could you please
help me how to use a local name caching server for SURBL zone using windows
2000 DNS. Thanks in advance for your help.

pankaj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Pankaj wrote:
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Just install DNS. Do not create any zones on it (unless SURBL tells you to).
In the SURBL's machine's IP properties, only use the DNS server's IP address
for the DNS settings. If DNS is on this machine, point to itself ONLY. If
SURBL has a setting to use this DNS, set it in there as well.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

pankaj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004

Ace - thanks for your reply but i am not sure if i understand your response.
Below is taken from www.surbl.org .
"Administrators of high volume mail servers -If you run a high volume mail
server (e.g., processing more than a few hundred thousand messages per day),
please set up rbldnsd, then please fill out our rsync request form to request
rsync access to the SURBL zone files. BIND zone files are also available by
rsync. Please see Links for some references and instructions on using rbldnsd
and rsync. Please do not use public name servers for processing large volumes
of mail. This is true for any RBLs you may be using. "

I checked all the links about Mirroring RBL Zone Files Locally but they
only provide instructions on how to use rsynch with BIND DNS on *Nix systems.
I would like to achieve the same using windows 2000 DNS.

Thanks.

Pankaj wrote:
> Ace - thanks for your reply but i am not sure if i understand your
> response. Below is taken from www.surbl.org .
> "Administrators of high volume mail servers -If you run a high volume
> mail server (e.g., processing more than a few hundred thousand
> messages per day), please set up rbldnsd, then please fill out our
> rsync request form to request rsync access to the SURBL zone files.
> BIND zone files are also available by rsync. Please see Links for
> some references and instructions on using rbldnsd and rsync. Please
> do not use public name servers for processing large volumes of mail.
> This is true for any RBLs you may be using. "
>
> I checked all the links about Mirroring RBL Zone Files Locally but
> they only provide instructions on how to use rsynch with BIND DNS on
> *Nix systems. I would like to achieve the same using windows 2000 DNS.
>
> Thanks.

Now I understand what you are trying to do. SURBL is BIND based. There are
other DNS daemons it works on, but not designed for Windows DNS. After
reading up on it from the link you provided, it apparently seems like you
have to do alot of work to get it to work with Windows DNS and you wold have
to manually update it, since the rsync feature works with the BIND based
daemons.

I use Vamsoft's ORF Enterprise (www.vamsoft.com) for Exchange 2000 or 2003.
I've found it has a 99% hit rate from what I've seen so far, with almost
0.25% false positives. I got these figures myself from reviewing over 30,000
emails in one month. I was impressed, especially snce it only costs USD
$195.00.

To make SURBL work, you will have to find a forum or call/email them to see
if it will easily work with Windows, but it looks like work to me.

Cheers!
Ace

pankaj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004

Ace - thanks a lot for your reply. It looks a lot of work to me too :) . At
this time i am directly using the surbl public servers and it has been
working great. Thanks again for your help.

Pankaj wrote:
> Ace - thanks a lot for your reply. It looks a lot of work to me too
> :) . At this time i am directly using the surbl public servers and
> it has been working great. Thanks again for your help.

Sorry for the late response.

You are quite welcome. I think just leaving it as you have would be better
for you, less work, and it's working.

:)

Ace