Sign in with
Your question

Something wrong with my graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2006 7:36:16 PM

Didn't exactlyknow where to put this post. But its in regards to my computer shutting down when playing world of warcraft. I have ventrilo set up at the same time but when I play the game it randomly restarts my computer after playing a while. I'm not sure what it is. I've cleaned my pc with dustoff also scanned for spyware, viruses, and all that junk. I've also installed the latest drivers for my video card which is the PNY Geforce 6800GT AGP. I don't play any other video games so I couldn't tell ya if it does it on other games.

I set it up where when my computer restarts I get a blue screen and this comes up.

Win32k.sys_address Bf89B66B base at BF800000, Date stamp 43446a58

BC code: 100

Then when it comes back up the first time it gives me this

Exception EZeroDivide in module ASM: THFF.dll at 00002276 floatin point division by zero. It says that in a box.

I don't know whether or not this is a MOBO issue or a video card issue. Anyone know anything or how they would approach this? It's been a while since i've updated the bios so perhaps I can do that.

More about : wrong graphics card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2006 5:31:38 PM

Can you do a search on your computer for THFF.dll and see which application it is associated with and where it is located? I have never seen that file before.

Have you made sure you have the latest version of WOW by checking Blizzard's web site?

Also, you may want to try Nvidia's 91.33 beta reference drivers. Often, the reference drivers are more reliable than the manufacturer's web site.

Have you tried to reset all the settings in your Nvidia tab? If you are overclocking your video card, try to set it to the default. You got to start somewhere when troubleshooting and setting everything to "out of box" defaults is the best way to start.

Good luck!
September 22, 2006 12:06:30 PM

I had a similar problem with my computer with blue screen of death crashes. There are only a few things that really do that and in my case it was a faulty memory chip. I changed over to Corsair memory and no more blue screens. As far as I remember I couldn't elicit the problem with any of the usual memory tests and had to resort to simply removing the memory DIMMs one by one to find the faulty one. What sort of memory do you have?
Related resources
September 22, 2006 1:13:16 PM

I play WoW Alot too. I have had this same issue on 2 of the other computers in my house (never had it happen to my main system). The problem on the first PC it started happening to was because of heat issues, the computer would get too hot, and BAM the power supply would trip and shut off as a failsafe.

The second computer it started happening to seemed to be a power problem. The power supply was a cheapy that came with the case and was not supplying enough power to all the components... I tested the PSU with a tester and it turned out the PSU was going out or was just plain bad from the start.

--Shodar
September 22, 2006 2:20:22 PM

The best thing to do my brother is get some testing programs to try and isolate the problem. Download MemTest (which is a Windows memory testing application, not 100% accurate but its wicked easy to use and if you pass it over and over you're pretty damn safe). You can download MemTest86+ which is more thorough but more annoying to run. That will see if your memory is OK, if you get errors, its bad.

Download PCMark06 to stress mainly your video card - if that crashes or artifacts it may very well be your video card.

Get Prime95 - a general stability testing program. You can choose Torture Test and select Small FFT tests to stress mainly just your CPU, if that fails then maybe not enough power to your cpu.

CPU-Z is a monitoring program. It also monitors your CPU voltage. If it fluctuates say from 1.2 to 1.3 (+ or - .1v) or more, that's your PSU being bad. Also download a temperature monitoring program like Coretemp (which for my Conroe doesn't seem too accurate) If you get some outrageous (like 60c or higher) temp, thats bad too and could be a cpu temp issue.

Last but not least, get NVidia Temp Logger. That will show you your graphics card temp and log it in a txt format as well. So start that up and go play WoW for a few minutes, then come back and see what it logged. If the temps get high then maybe your card is overheating. I dunno what temp is high for your model, but for mine (7900GT) 80C is getting close to being too hot.

If ALL of these damn things fail then it has to be your PSU. Post some system specs, we need more info.

On a final note, at some point when playing WoW I'd get plagued with blue screens 2 maybe 3 times a night. It started happening out of nowhere. Strangely enough, a disk defrag solved the issue. My Hdd needed one fairly bad (which usually I stay on top of), so I did it and guess what? No more blue screen. So give that a shot too.

PHHHHEWWW...that's a novel. I know its a lot of crap to download and do, especially if you're not familiar with any of it. But...you can test memory, cpu, temp, etc...all separately from eachother to isolate the problem. I'd say the first and easiest step though, would be to check the the temps. If they look good, move onto those other programs.

Best o' luck
September 22, 2006 4:03:22 PM

Check to make sure if your mobo has a auto shut off when your cpu temps are high that it is disabled. have a temp program running in the background so while wow is running u can alt tab and see the temps. with the games setting on high and your system setup it might be running hot and shutting down. I had this with bf2 wow and cs source.
September 22, 2006 4:21:20 PM

check
!