can't find domain name using name

Hi

I just installed first domain controller with DNS on it and named it test.com
and the computer name is first (first.test.com) and its ip is 192.168.1.2

But when I tried to join domain test.com with client computer, the client
computer could not find the test.com domain. Even though I configured the
client DNS to 192.168.1.2 manually.

If I ping first or first.test.com from the client computer then I got reply
with right IP
but if I pnig just test.com, I got timed out.

When you join the domain, you put domain name which is test.com not IP
address.

Please help me what I did wrong.

Thanks

In news:34743BF8-203F-4716-9044-F525E5A05F0F@microsoft.com,
MinNY <MinNY@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi
>
> I just installed first domain controller with DNS on it
> and named it test.com and the computer name is first
> (first.test.com) and its ip is 192.168.1.2
>
> But when I tried to join domain test.com with client
> computer, the client computer could not find the test.com
> domain. Even though I configured the client DNS to
> 192.168.1.2 manually.
>
> If I ping first or first.test.com from the client
> computer then I got reply with right IP
> but if I pnig just test.com, I got timed out.
>
> When you join the domain, you put domain name which is
> test.com not IP address.

Is the server using 192.168.1.2, only?

Run netdiag /fix from a cammand line.

--