If I go for DNS-ADI, should I specify the DNS prim=DNScent..

I have 10 branch offices and if I setup AD-DNS Integrated, I understand each
DC would hold a copy of DNS zones.

In that circumstance, should I point thousands of windows clients IP address
t as IP DNS Primary=DNSCentral Site ?
How clients would take advantage of multimaster and DNS-DC redundancy in
case the primary DNS goes down ??!!
3 answers Last reply
More about prim dnscent

    "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have 10 branch offices and if I setup AD-DNS Integrated, I understand
    each
    > DC would hold a copy of DNS zones.

    Well, each DC on which you choose to run DNS server,
    although that might be all of them it is not a rule.

    > In that circumstance, should I point thousands of windows clients IP
    address
    > t as IP DNS Primary=DNSCentral Site ?

    ??? You should generally point each client to the 'nearest'
    (several) DNS servers -- they MUST be pointed strictly
    to your internal DNS servers.

    Part of the point of AD-Integrated is multi-mastered
    registration -- clients can register AND resolve addresses
    with ANY such DNS server.

    > How clients would take advantage of multimaster and DNS-DC redundancy in
    > case the primary DNS goes down ??!!

    Since each DC (running DNS) is a DC, that IS the
    basis of multi-mastering and it will replicate as
    part of AD, efficiently and as described by your
    in Sites and Services (Sites, Site Links with Schedules,
    Costs, and Frequency.)

    Thanks Herb.
    That means that I need to change the settings for each of the subnets DHCP
    server provides IP configuration to (since DHCP the device giving out IP
    configuration information to clients).

    > "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have 10 branch offices and if I setup AD-DNS Integrated, I understand
    > each
    >> DC would hold a copy of DNS zones.
    >
    > Well, each DC on which you choose to run DNS server,
    > although that might be all of them it is not a rule.
    >
    >> In that circumstance, should I point thousands of windows clients IP
    > address
    >> t as IP DNS Primary=DNSCentral Site ?
    >
    > ??? You should generally point each client to the 'nearest'
    > (several) DNS servers -- they MUST be pointed strictly
    > to your internal DNS servers.
    >
    > Part of the point of AD-Integrated is multi-mastered
    > registration -- clients can register AND resolve addresses
    > with ANY such DNS server.
    >
    >> How clients would take advantage of multimaster and DNS-DC redundancy in
    >> case the primary DNS goes down ??!!
    >
    > Since each DC (running DNS) is a DC, that IS the
    > basis of multi-mastering and it will replicate as
    > part of AD, efficiently and as described by your
    > in Sites and Services (Sites, Site Links with Schedules,
    > Costs, and Frequency.)

    Yes, each DHCP server should set the first (primary) DNS server option as the
    local one. But also add the main site (or the closest physical site if it's
    not the main site) DNS server as well.

    All (DNS) clients should use multiple DNS servers for redundency.

    > Well, each DC on which you choose to run DNS server, although that might be all of them it is not a rule.

    I'll elaborate on this too, if Herb doesn't mind [yikes!]

    Each DC will hold the actual zone data (it's replicated as part of the
    domain partition or, in 2003, it can be replicated as its own application
    partition) but not necessarilly function as a DNS server with that data.

    Obviously this statement only applies to DCs within the scope of the
    partition.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/