Sign in with
Your question

Did I make the right choice with Nvidia's PureVideo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2006 8:16:10 PM

I'm built a Multi media PC and I am going to hook it up to my tv(just waiting for the svideo cable to come through the mail). I went with a Nvidia 7600 GT card for the complete PureVideo Capabilities(especially the Inverse Telecine that ATI doesn't have unless they added it recently). Now I am starting to wonder though if I should of went with ATI's Avivo instead.

Has anyone used both and know which is better for normal DVD play back(no HD)? I looked for reviews for compareisons but I could only find outdated ones.
August 19, 2006 8:51:51 PM

Video shoot-out

This one isn't terribly outdated. The nvidia purevideo decoding software is definitely awesome, I use that for my HTPC for mpeg2 playback and it makes my recorded TV shows look really great. As far as hardware goes I think ATI is doing a little better job right now.
August 19, 2006 9:14:18 PM

Would any difference in quality matter? I mean, S-Video isn't very good resolution (Text in Windows virtually unreadable at 1024x768, way too blurry). I'm sorry if this isn't a video quality issue and this post is irrelevant.
Related resources
August 19, 2006 9:49:13 PM

First you'll want a large screen LCD for the TV or you'll be horribly dissappointed with resulting PQ. Secondly pure video is probably the only codec I've found that eliminates 99.9% of stutters/pauses/glitches in DVD playback. Thirdly I would not wish ATI's software and drivers on even my worst enemy. I've been there done this. I've used CRT TV, WS projection TV and LCD TV in attempts at HTPC, no plasma yet, they're exspensive and not many have PC input let alone DVI and some suffer from burn in issues. If you want to be able to do anything besides video say like read text on the screen then you NEED a LCD nothing else will display ledgible text and only then with a PC input preferrably DVI. Any setup run through a video cards TV out no matter if it's SVHS or component or for shame composite will look like crap, the edges of desktop most likely will be deformed with no adjustment available, text will look smeared and unreadable, maximum resolution to my knowledge with any video card for TV out is 1024x768 quite a bit short of 1280x768 which most 26" and above LCD's use. But if you want to travel that bumpy road yourself by all means don't let me stop you though getting a LCD TV with pc input will avoid it.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 20, 2006 2:57:23 AM

Quote:
I'm built a Multi media PC and I am going to hook it up to my tv(just waiting for the svideo cable to come through the mail). I went with a Nvidia 7600 GT card for the complete PureVideo Capabilities(especially the that ATI doesn't have unless they added it recently). Now I am starting to wonder though if I should of went with ATI's Avivo instead.

Actually their differences in both Video Playback and drivers is more of a issue in the past, not now. Really they're closer to each other than they are different, even in what used to be ATi's advantage in AVIVO, PureVideo is now very close if not equal (nV just updated their drivers which should make them equal)

Quote:
Has anyone used both and know which is better for normal DVD play back(no HD)? I looked for reviews for compareisons but I could only find outdated ones.

Unfortunately they are almost all outdated since the recent changes to nV are brand new additions, but for the most part the BETAs of the drivers were running equal with the tie breaker going to ATi for tweakabiolity which was used it seems just to pick 'a winner', but really the differences are minor at best. A few sites like FiringSquad and Anandtech have promised updated reviews.

Old FiringSquad Reviews;
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_catalyst_5.13_v...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_video_qualit...

The funny thing about nV HD reverse telecine, it's only an issue for 1080i content, yet both BluRay and HD-DVD content are 1080P, so only DIVX HD would be an issue, and most of that content is now 1080P as well. So like some ATi advantages their overall usefullness may be limited, since both do well at 3:2:2 on SD resolution, and actually ATi has more options to tweak for SD than the new PureVideo drivers which don't give you the same number of options, however the default is usually good enough.
August 20, 2006 4:30:11 AM

I can't speak in technical terms, but my opinion is PureVideo definitely beat out AVIVO.

For standard definition tv all Geforce 7-series cards perform exactly the same. Also, all Geforce 7-series card perform hardware accleration on high definition content. With the Geforce 7600GT and higher you get the advanced high definition features.

Keep in mind, a $175 graphics card and a $250 17" LCD monitor cannot compare to a $3500 3LCD, DLP or Plasma TV. With that in mind, nVidia does the best job of correcting imperfections in motion (pixel) editing. Each company (ATI and nVidia) is doing the same thing but differently. ATI does it in sectors. You may recall their features called Video Soap (noise reduction) and FullStream (sector smoothing). The AVIVO theroum is an excellent convergence of these two features. AVIVO has a good/great picture. But on my hardware, nVidia performed much better.

I suggest trying this: If you have a lcd with dvi and analog inputs and a motherboard with two PCI x16 slots then buy a low priced ATI X1300 based card and put it in the unused x16 slot. Connect each graphics card to the inputs on the lcd. Open up an instance of a DivX video and open up an instance of a WMV video. Switch inputs on the lcd back and forth so you can compare the two images. DivX supports hardware acceleration on the ATI card and WMV supports hardware acceleration of the nVidia card. You will begin to see which one looks better on your setup. Take some time away from the computer and go watch a regular television for about 30 minutes. Come back and repeat the process. Your eyes will see which one is closer to a real television. My guess is your probably going to agree its PureVideo.

The current version of PureVideo support h.264 and MPEG2 video, plus WMV-HD and some others. nVidia is close to completing PureVideoHD which will support Blu-Ray and HD-DVD videos (whatever codecs those will be).
!