Programs that must/should be installed into the RAM ?

a b } Memory
January 3, 2005 5:25:05 AM

Hi,

I have an iPAQ 2210 and I extended it with a 512 MB SD memory card.
So, for storing software (programs) and data I have some RAM, very
little ROM (iPAQ File Store) and a lot of SD card memory available.
The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
any software and data saved there will be gone.
Therefore, I would prefer to install/save as little as possible in the
RAM. Can you tell me which programs must/should be installed into the
RAM?

Peter

P.S.: When someday I will have to *exchange* the battery, how can I
make sure not to lose what is saved in the RAM?

More about : programs installed ram

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 3, 2005 10:57:05 AM

On 3 Jan 2005 02:25:05 -0800, Peter Frank <peter_frankde@yahoo.de> wrote:

> I have an iPAQ 2210 and I extended it with a 512 MB SD memory card.
> So, for storing software (programs) and data I have some RAM, very
> little ROM (iPAQ File Store) and a lot of SD card memory available.
> The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
> memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
> any software and data saved there will be gone.
> Therefore, I would prefer to install/save as little as possible in the
> RAM. Can you tell me which programs must/should be installed into the
> RAM?
> Peter
> P.S.: When someday I will have to *exchange* the battery, how can I
> make sure not to lose what is saved in the RAM?

You need to install any apps that utilize your hardware buttons in RAM.
In other words if you push a button to launch your contact manager, it
needs to be in RAM. Also, OS components such as the Microsoft SQL
components, or updates to your ROM image such as Bluetooth fixes should be
in RAM too. If you use NetFront browser it goes in RAM as well, but most
other things can be installed on a storage card.

I recommend frequent backups to make sure data is not lost during times
such as battery replacements. Although you shouldn't lose data, it's been
hit or miss in my observations. You could use Sprite backup to back up
your RAM to a storage card, or you could use ActiveSync as a free option
for backups. I have some detailed instructions on how to use ActiveSync
to back up here:
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Forums&f...

--
Brad Isaac
editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com

Peter,

As a general rule, you could install any and every application into your SD
card. However, I recommended that you install applications that require or
use the hardware buttons into Main Memory. Further, any updates you get
from your OEM (ie Bluetooth updates) be installed in Main Memory as well.

As for your battery replacement/exchange, just like your PC you should have
a good and current backup of your Pocket PC. Most OEMs have a built-in
backup utility and there is one built into ActiveSync as well.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"Peter Frank" <peter_frankde@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an iPAQ 2210 and I extended it with a 512 MB SD memory card.
> So, for storing software (programs) and data I have some RAM, very
> little ROM (iPAQ File Store) and a lot of SD card memory available.
> The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
> memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
> any software and data saved there will be gone.
> Therefore, I would prefer to install/save as little as possible in the
> RAM. Can you tell me which programs must/should be installed into the
> RAM?
>
> Peter
>
> P.S.: When someday I will have to *exchange* the battery, how can I
> make sure not to lose what is saved in the RAM?
a b } Memory
January 3, 2005 7:00:27 PM

| The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
| memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
| any software and data saved there will be gone.

even if a program is loaded to ROM or an SD card there are almost always
parts, references, shortcuts, registry settings, etc... that will be in RAM,
if you loose your PPC those programs loaded in ROM or SD will more than
likely have to be re-installed before they will work again,
January 3, 2005 7:01:49 PM

Peter Frank wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an iPAQ 2210 and I extended it with a 512 MB SD memory card.
> So, for storing software (programs) and data I have some RAM, very
> little ROM (iPAQ File Store) and a lot of SD card memory available.
> The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
> memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
> any software and data saved there will be gone.
> Therefore, I would prefer to install/save as little as possible in the
> RAM. Can you tell me which programs must/should be installed into the
> RAM?
The 2210 has a backup battery so the PDA can last for days with no main
battery. I install all software to RAM unless it's really huge. Since
I'm always swapping my memory cards around for different music, its
inconvenient to have programs on one card. Just use active sync to
backup once a week if your worried about losing data, but as I said -
there's a backup battery so its not much to worry about.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Do you know how many applications there are? How can you expect such a
list to be created for you?

You should try the program on first install. If it works and performs
fast enough then your answer is yes, otherwise use internal memory.
Some programs run more slowly on memory card- only you can decide if it
is too slow for you. (VB programs can be a pretty good example). A few
programs may not run at all unless in main memory- there was someone
posted recently about an app that wouldn't run from his storage card,
although someone said they could.

Use your own powers of judgement- try the program you are interested
in, if it works to your satisfaction you have your answer.

For a definitive list of all programs- well why not create such a list
yourself? I'm not sure if it will apply to everyone though- it would be
based on your machines speed and configuration, and your own
expectations. Each of these is likely to be different to other users.

"Peter Frank" <peter_frankde@yahoo.de> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have an iPAQ 2210 and I extended it with a 512 MB SD memory card.
| So, for storing software (programs) and data I have some RAM, very
| little ROM (iPAQ File Store) and a lot of SD card memory available.
| The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
| memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before re-loading
| any software and data saved there will be gone.
| Therefore, I would prefer to install/save as little as possible in
the
| RAM. Can you tell me which programs must/should be installed into the
| RAM?
|
| Peter
|
| P.S.: When someday I will have to *exchange* the battery, how can I
| make sure not to lose what is saved in the RAM?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 4, 2005 5:33:33 AM

On 03 Jan 2005, "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com>
pondered an unfair universe and came up with
news:o psj019ftd25tyy7@blarneystone.belkin:

> On 3 Jan 2005 02:25:05 -0800, Peter Frank <peter_frankde@yahoo.de>
> wrote:

> You need to install any apps that utilize your hardware buttons in
> RAM.

This isn't true on my Axim x30. Any installed program that's
registered, whether in RAM, BIS or a card will run on the hardware
buttons.

The only programs I have that needed to be installed in RAM were PHM
Regedit and TDLaunch (a Today Screen launcher). Additionally, Pocket
Streets needed to install a DLL in RAM to work.

--
StephG
Anonymous

The hardware button issue is only to deal with the possibility of
pressing a hardware button with the memory card removed...

In general

All schedule/alert/alarm program should be in ram

All "essential" apps should be in RAM... it's a pain to go looking for
them if the memory card was left at home.

Browsers and other communications program should not be installed on a
card slot that will be in use for comm hardware... i.e. using a CF wifi
card... don't install a browser on a CF memory card... obviously, not an
issue for multi function cards.

Same holds true for any other removable hardware that might be
controlled by an installed app.

If you install a program (such as a reader) to access content and use
multiple memory cards with content, that install should be duplicated on
each additional card with content.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 4, 2005 5:41:20 AM

On 03 Jan 2005, "KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> pondered an

>| The RAM is the fastest memory but in contrast to ROM and SD card
>| memory it is volatile, so if the battery goes empty before
>| re-loading any software and data saved there will be gone.
>

> even if a program is loaded to ROM or an SD card there are almost
> always parts, references, shortcuts, registry settings, etc...
> that will be in RAM, if you loose your PPC those programs loaded
> in ROM or SD will more than likely have to be re-installed before
> they will work again,

I had nearly all of my software on ROM on my Axim when I had to do a
hard reset. I was able to create new shortcuts with Total Commander by
just copying .exe files. I had to reinstall TDLaunch, but that was easy
since I kept the original .cab files in ROM. I keep more of them now. I
restored my registry from a backup I'd made with PHM Regedit. I've
since regularly backed up my RAM on my SD card with a total backup.

But most software that I installed on ROM functioned just fine once I
restored the registry and re-created the shortcuts. Most of the
programs installed into ROM also stored their data in their home
directory there, and not on RAM.

--
StephG
Anonymous

On 03 Jan 2005, "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]"
<BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> pondered an unfair universe and came up
with news:o 8usN2g8EHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> The hardware button issue is only to deal with the possibility of
> pressing a hardware button with the memory card removed...

I don't know if all PPCs have "built in storage", but I was under the
impression that all relatively recent models have writable "ROM". You
can't remove that.

I think you were misinterpreting what I was saying. I have 20+ programs
installed on my 64 mb of ROM, none installed on removable storage.

I don't install any programs to RAM unless the program won't operate
unless it's installed there.

I do backups to my storage card though. It's a 1gb card, and I never
remove it anyway.

--
StephG
!