DNS changes

Need some assistance on configuring a new external DNS.

I have to retire our old box and Microsoft recommonds I do not swap the IP
and host names due to an exchange migration. I have a Windows 2000 network
environment with internal DNS running. I will be installing DNS - external on
other box to communicate to the outside world.

I have read a lot of white paper on the dns creation (split and namespace)
that I think I am just getting more confused: I have a question about
creating the zone on this box (external) My internal domain name is e.g.,
rrrrr.sssss.bbbbbb and the registered domain is kkkkkk.com. Do I just create
a new zone - with the registered name on the outside world and create all the
records within that zone? also - do I create an alias or CName --- if I want
to have the HOST known to the outside world different than the what the host
name is?
1 answer Last reply
More about changes

    In news:22395CFA-D6A5-43AA-86C4-349E778779B2@microsoft.com,
    Multitasker <Multitasker@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Need some assistance on configuring a new external DNS.
    >
    > I have to retire our old box and Microsoft recommonds I
    > do not swap the IP and host names due to an exchange
    > migration. I have a Windows 2000 network environment with
    > internal DNS running. I will be installing DNS - external
    > on other box to communicate to the outside world.
    >
    > I have read a lot of white paper on the dns creation
    > (split and namespace) that I think I am just getting more
    > confused: I have a question about creating the zone on
    > this box (external) My internal domain name is e.g.,
    > rrrrr.sssss.bbbbbb and the registered domain is
    > kkkkkk.com. Do I just create a new zone - with the
    > registered name on the outside world and create all the
    > records within that zone?

    You would create a zone for the public domain under two conditions.
    1. You host sites and or services locally AND you are behind an NAT device.
    Because you are behind NAT those sites and services are only accessible
    locally by their private IP. So you need records for your local machines to
    use to connect to those site by name.
    2. You are hosting the Public zone for any domain, whether your or someone
    else's.

    If both 1. and 2. are true, you need two DNS servers one for public records
    and one for private records.

    also - do I create an alias or
    > CName --- if I want to have the HOST known to the outside
    > world different than the what the host name is?

    Yes and maybe, some records cannot use CNAME records, one is mail server
    host names that are used in MX records the other is NS records. These
    records must have "A" (Address) records for glue.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Windows 2000 Microsoft DNS Windows