ASROCK 775DUAL-VSTA

elbutchos

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Hello

My brand new 775dual-vsta and conroe 6300 just came in.
I stripped my old system and installed the new board and CPU.
The system won't start, no beeps no nothing, just a very silent pop in the system speaker each time the system starts up, fans spinning..
Here's a list with my old parts:

Thermaltake Purepower 360W
2x512 DDR400 CL3 PQI
AGP Ati Radeon 9600Pro video card.
80Gb WD Sata drive.

As i saw the system won't fire up with the E6300 i got out and got hold of a Celeron D2.5Ghz and a Intel 640 (Prescott core).

With the Celeron CPU it's the same thing : no beeps, no nothing.
With the 640 CPU i get 3 beeps if i remove memory.

IN any case removing the video card makes no difference.
Even tried with a PCIex Leadtek 6800GS.

Can anyone tell me , is this board broken.
Should i send it back for Warranty ?

Thank you in advance.

yyrkoon

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
If you have the motherboard in the case and its not working, try pulling it out, and placing it on a cardboard surface, such as the box that came with it. this is to check to see if you're somehow shorting the motherboard while in the case.

Things to check / try:

1) make sure the HSF plug is plugged into the correct fan plug on the motherboard.

2) clear the BIOS via the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard.

3) Is this motherboard a 20+4 ping PSU hook up ? If so, make sure you have the 20, and 4 pin power plugs connected, and connected well.

4) try a different PSU, 360W seems a bit lowish

5) before requesting a RMA, read the manual, follow the manuals step by step guide, on how to set the system up.

I'll add more when, and if I think of more.

yyrkoon

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Another thing I'll add, just in case, is that some ATI 9600 pro card drew too much power from the AGP slot, and thus would cause problems with some motherboards, although you've seemingly checked this with a GFX card that has an external power plug, so . . .

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hello

My brand new 775dual-vsta and conroe 6300 just came in.
I stripped my old system and installed the new board and CPU.
The system won't start, no beeps no nothing, just a very silent pop in the system speaker each time the system starts up, fans spinning..
Here's a list with my old parts:

Thermaltake Purepower 360W
2x512 DDR400 CL3 PQI
AGP Ati Radeon 9600Pro video card.
80Gb WD Sata drive.

As i saw the system won't fire up with the E6300 i got out and got hold of a Celeron D2.5Ghz and a Intel 640 (Prescott core).

With the Celeron CPU it's the same thing : no beeps, no nothing.
With the 640 CPU i get 3 beeps if i remove memory.

IN any case removing the video card makes no difference.
Even tried with a PCIex Leadtek 6800GS.

Can anyone tell me , is this board broken.
Should i send it back for Warranty ?

Thank you in advance.
Don't know if this helps, but a few review sites have had troubles running their RAM at 1T command rate. If you can get into the BIOS, maybe try changing it to 2T.

With DDR400 & DDR2-533:
Although the BIOS offers a 1T Command Rate, we never could get this setting absolutely stable without drastically raising the memory latency settings. We even tried our more expensive memory modules with the same results.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810&p=4

With DDR2-533:
In our test, we set the RAM to DDR2-533 at CAS 3, 3-3-8, 1T for P5W DH and ConRoeXFire-eSATA2. We can only run 2T on the 775Dual-VSTA, 1T is not too stable.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/775dual-vsta/b2.htm

Worth seeing if this is causing boot problems. GL :)

elbutchos

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Sorry i forgot to mention.

The tests i did with the Celeron and Intel 640 were made outside of the case, on a cardboard box.

The HSF connector has 4 Pin. Motherboard has just 1 4 Pin Connector. It's hard to place it wrong.

The power Connectors 20+4 were installed just fine.

Tried a older 350W PSU. Same situation.

I tried with a MSI GF 4 MX440. Still nothing.

According to ASROCK the celeron and 640 are supported with any version of BIOS. so it should have fired up. As for the manual it's a little superficial i'd say.

One more question. Even if the 6300 CPU is not supported with older BIOS, should the system fire up and mention the unknown processor or just do nothing?!?

After ordering the board I asked for it to be shipped with latest BIOS ver. (1.50 by then). I don't know if they updated it or not.

Thank you for the tips

yyrkoon

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
As for the RAM. i can't even get in BIOS.

Reseting CMOS has no effect whatsoever.

Call AsrockAmerica (assuming you're in america), go to thier webpage, click the support link on the top (i think) then select 'contact us',and call thier number in california. Im nearly 100% positive that motherboard is a C2D capable motherbaord, especially since anandtech.com just did 3 reviews with that board, and used a Conroe during the testing.

[EDIT]

We all hate it when it happenes, but it does sound like you have a bad board. Its inconvient, but it does happen from time to time, even with tier 1 manufactuers.