DNS A record & ptr

Tray

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

I have a win2003 server with AD,DNS,DHCP installed. The particular clients
that I have noticed this problem are XPpro clients, I haven't noticed any
other clients having this problem.

Had an existing AD, then later joined a small nextdoor office to the domain
after they got fiberOptic. Those clients joined with no problem, and get
DHCP leases with no problems, and IPCONFIG shows proper DNS,DHCP servers.

But, DNS on the server does not show an A record on forward zone, or a prt
record on reverse zone for any of those clients (5 clients). I've released
and renewed, and they get new IPs just fine, but still don't show up in DNS.

(I want to connect remotely to them using computer name, rather than IP).

Settings appear to be identical, but obviously something is different.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks, Tray

"tray" <traygo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a win2003 server with AD,DNS,DHCP installed. The particular clients
> that I have noticed this problem are XPpro clients, I haven't noticed any
> other clients having this problem.
>
> Had an existing AD, then later joined a small nextdoor office to the
domain
> after they got fiberOptic. Those clients joined with no problem, and get
> DHCP leases with no problems, and IPCONFIG shows proper DNS,DHCP servers.
>
> But, DNS on the server does not show an A record on forward zone, or a prt
> record on reverse zone for any of those clients (5 clients). I've released
> and renewed, and they get new IPs just fine, but still don't show up in
DNS.

> (I want to connect remotely to them using computer name, rather than IP).
> Settings appear to be identical, but obviously something is different.

Can you dump "ipconfig /all" for a working machine
and a non-working machine and post here? (Don't
type in the info, no use a graphic picture, copy and
paste the actual output.)

But the most common reason when it "looks" good,
is that the scope and/or the machines do not have their
own full domain name set correctly. You need the
DNS suffix in the scope. The DNS name should also
be set correctly in each machine's System Control panel.

> Any suggestions on where to look?
> Thanks, Tray

Or course, the zones for the forward and reverse have to
be available and dynamic. The registrant has to be able
to find the "master" DNS server(s) for each of those
those zones to do the registration.

Here's a GENERAL checklist for DNS to support AD:

1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]