Nameserver Issue

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 18, 2005 10:45:03 PM

Good Evening, I am having problems with my nameservers.

I have 6 of them, ns1 - ns3 were setup by microsoft.
ns4 - ns6 is what I am trying to get working. I have setup
the firewall exceptions for dns on those ports. I have deleted
the zone and recreated it. It has its pointers and A records.

What did I forget to do that microsoft showed me how to do?
The funny thing, is when I first set it up, ns4 was working (slowly)
but then went down upon reboot. dnsreport.com shows 3 as not
responding, but before I added them to the parent server, all 3
showed as responding, just missing from the parent????

Help!

John

The domain is three3denterprises.com.
Remove the numeral three from the domain (to protect the innocent :)

More about : nameserver issue

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:01:03 PM

Update -

Everytime I reboot now, the servername gets added back to the servername
zone and the domain I originally referenced and the reverse dns. When I go
in to remove it, it only asks me if I want to remove 4 of the 6 pointer
records.
Of course I say no, but why is it adding my servername back each reboot now?

Thanks

"John McLagan" wrote:

> Good Evening, I am having problems with my nameservers.
>
> I have 6 of them, ns1 - ns3 were setup by microsoft.
> ns4 - ns6 is what I am trying to get working. I have setup
> the firewall exceptions for dns on those ports. I have deleted
> the zone and recreated it. It has its pointers and A records.
>
> What did I forget to do that microsoft showed me how to do?
> The funny thing, is when I first set it up, ns4 was working (slowly)
> but then went down upon reboot. dnsreport.com shows 3 as not
> responding, but before I added them to the parent server, all 3
> showed as responding, just missing from the parent????
>
> Help!
>
> John
>
> The domain is three3denterprises.com.
> Remove the numeral three from the domain (to protect the innocent :)

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:54:30 AM

In news:F4AA2CBC-DAE4-4764-B8AB-0932A78E8D0F@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Good Evening, I am having problems with my nameservers.
>
> I have 6 of them, ns1 - ns3 were setup by microsoft.
> ns4 - ns6 is what I am trying to get working. I have
> setup
> the firewall exceptions for dns on those ports. I have
> deleted
> the zone and recreated it. It has its pointers and A
> records.
>
> What did I forget to do that microsoft showed me how to
> do?
> The funny thing, is when I first set it up, ns4 was
> working (slowly) but then went down upon reboot.
> dnsreport.com shows 3 as not responding, but before I
> added them to the parent server, all 3 showed as
> responding, just missing from the parent????
>
> Help!
>
> John
>
> The domain is three3denterprises.com.
> Remove the numeral three from the domain (to protect the
> innocent :)

Did you map UDP and TCP 53 from the public addresses to the DNS servers'
local IP in your router? (If behind NAT)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:75F106C3-0C89-4458-A7A6-B5D681DD8C55@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Update -
>
> Everytime I reboot now, the servername gets added back to
> the servername zone and the domain I originally
> referenced and the reverse dns. When I go in to remove
> it, it only asks me if I want to remove 4 of the 6
> pointer records.
> Of course I say no, but why is it adding my servername
> back each reboot now?

Is the zones Active Directory integrated?

AD integrated zones will always recreate the NS records for all DNS servers
it is on using the local computer names and IP addresses.

Is the zone allowing dynamic updates?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:25:02 AM

Hey Kevin -

The server is in Workgroup mode, so no AD.
No router, just one nic, 6 ips, basic firewall in RRAS.
I turned off auto update after I made my dns changes.
That did stop my servername from being added back
to the zone.

But still no joy on ns3 - ns6 responding. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:F4AA2CBC-DAE4-4764-B8AB-0932A78E8D0F@microsoft.com,
> John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Good Evening, I am having problems with my nameservers.
> >
> > I have 6 of them, ns1 - ns3 were setup by microsoft.
> > ns4 - ns6 is what I am trying to get working. I have
> > setup
> > the firewall exceptions for dns on those ports. I have
> > deleted
> > the zone and recreated it. It has its pointers and A
> > records.
> >
> > What did I forget to do that microsoft showed me how to
> > do?
> > The funny thing, is when I first set it up, ns4 was
> > working (slowly) but then went down upon reboot.
> > dnsreport.com shows 3 as not responding, but before I
> > added them to the parent server, all 3 showed as
> > responding, just missing from the parent????
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > John
> >
> > The domain is three3denterprises.com.
> > Remove the numeral three from the domain (to protect the
> > innocent :)
>
> Did you map UDP and TCP 53 from the public addresses to the DNS servers'
> local IP in your router? (If behind NAT)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:12:36 PM

In news:FA4C32FF-D0A0-4BAE-8E84-1862A2964EC4@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hey Kevin -
>
> The server is in Workgroup mode, so no AD.
> No router, just one nic, 6 ips, basic firewall in RRAS.
> I turned off auto update after I made my dns changes.
> That did stop my servername from being added back
> to the zone.
>
> But still no joy on ns3 - ns6 responding. Any ideas?

So you are using the Win2k3 as the router?
Using RRAS to forward these to the correct machines on the Services and
ports tab in RRAS NAT on the public interface
You have to do more than just open the ports, you have to map them to the
correct machine.

As for it adding the server name to the zone, it is self registering itself.
There was a KB on this but, I can't seem to find it now. Maybe someone has
it archived and can post it.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:19:29 PM

In news:60970D60-D5DD-4764-A9AE-F657188BF3C2@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hey Kevin -
>
> Thanks, thats what I forgot to do.
>
> Outside the spirit of the RFC. I am using separate ips
> for separate smtp domains. Microsoft set me up this way,
> so I could allow zone transfers easily between the ips.
> I know I shouldn't have more than 7 nameservers, so my
> last one will be a hosted service by someone else. I
> just haven't gotten that far yet.
>
> Since you seem to be a resident expert on dns. My next
> step is to delegate servername.domain.com to the
> dyndns.net service, so I can get to one of my customers
> dynamic servers. Is it as easy as just clicking the
> domain in dns and following the wizard. Or what other
> tweaks do I need to do to make it delegate properly?

Other than creating the delegation there is nothing else you need to do for
the delegation to work, other than making sure the DNS you are delegating
the name to is Authoritative for the domain name you are delegating.

As for whether it will work in your particular situation, that depends on
what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:19:30 PM

Hi Kevin -

I and my customer want to be able to login to their server (which has a
dynamic ip address), by servername.domainname.com. I bought a custom dns
service through dyndns and setup a pointer record with them for
servername.domainname.com

Now I just need to make sure if servername.--- is addressed, the request is
passed to dyndns. Anything else gets resolved locally.

Thanks,

John

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:60970D60-D5DD-4764-A9AE-F657188BF3C2@microsoft.com,
> John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hey Kevin -
> >
> > Thanks, thats what I forgot to do.
> >
> > Outside the spirit of the RFC. I am using separate ips
> > for separate smtp domains. Microsoft set me up this way,
> > so I could allow zone transfers easily between the ips.
> > I know I shouldn't have more than 7 nameservers, so my
> > last one will be a hosted service by someone else. I
> > just haven't gotten that far yet.
> >
> > Since you seem to be a resident expert on dns. My next
> > step is to delegate servername.domain.com to the
> > dyndns.net service, so I can get to one of my customers
> > dynamic servers. Is it as easy as just clicking the
> > domain in dns and following the wizard. Or what other
> > tweaks do I need to do to make it delegate properly?
>
> Other than creating the delegation there is nothing else you need to do for
> the delegation to work, other than making sure the DNS you are delegating
> the name to is Authoritative for the domain name you are delegating.
>
> As for whether it will work in your particular situation, that depends on
> what exactly you are trying to accomplish.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:53:42 PM

In news:0246D381-5727-46C8-8C47-447FBFA595F7@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin -
>
> I and my customer want to be able to login to their
> server (which has a dynamic ip address), by
> servername.domainname.com. I bought a custom dns service
> through dyndns and setup a pointer record with them for
> servername.domainname.com
>
> Now I just need to make sure if servername.--- is
> addressed, the request is passed to dyndns. Anything
> else gets resolved locally.

OIC, I don't think it is not a delegation you need, it would be a CNAME
record.
Name the CNAME record servername, then in the FQDN field type in the dydns
name "user.dydns.org"
I believe this is how the dydns service works, the user has a client that
logs into dydns.org and register an "A" record for the username they logon
with dydns.org with the dynamic IP they are on. At least that is how TZO
works, I assume its the same. I did the same thing for a client that had a
dynamic IP, he set up an account with the TZO service, and with a client on
his machine he logged in and registered an "A" record in tzo.com with his
dynamic IP address. The "A" record had a 300 second Ttl so every 300 seconds
(5 Min) the client registered the current IP address. If the client went
offline, the last known IP was re-registered in tzo.com.
The CNAME works great for every thing but a mail server or MX record, the MX
record had to point to user.tzo.com because CNAMES are not allowed in MX
records.

If all works as it should, when someone types servername.domainname.com in
their browser, it sends a DNS request to your DNS server for that name,
which returns a CNAME record with the dydns.org name. This slows the process
down a bit because it requires an extra lookup, but it is about all someone
with a dynamic IP address can do to host a public site on a dynamic IP
address.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:59:02 PM

Dyndns wants me to use their nameservers.
https://www.dyndns.org/support/services/custom/howto.ht...
is their how to article. They tell me I need to use ns1.mydyndns.org
and ns2.mydyndns.org.

So do I setup 2 cnames to those server addresses?
Or do I need to delegate?

Thanks,

John

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:0246D381-5727-46C8-8C47-447FBFA595F7@microsoft.com,
> John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi Kevin -
> >
> > I and my customer want to be able to login to their
> > server (which has a dynamic ip address), by
> > servername.domainname.com. I bought a custom dns service
> > through dyndns and setup a pointer record with them for
> > servername.domainname.com
> >
> > Now I just need to make sure if servername.--- is
> > addressed, the request is passed to dyndns. Anything
> > else gets resolved locally.
>
> OIC, I don't think it is not a delegation you need, it would be a CNAME
> record.
> Name the CNAME record servername, then in the FQDN field type in the dydns
> name "user.dydns.org"
> I believe this is how the dydns service works, the user has a client that
> logs into dydns.org and register an "A" record for the username they logon
> with dydns.org with the dynamic IP they are on. At least that is how TZO
> works, I assume its the same. I did the same thing for a client that had a
> dynamic IP, he set up an account with the TZO service, and with a client on
> his machine he logged in and registered an "A" record in tzo.com with his
> dynamic IP address. The "A" record had a 300 second Ttl so every 300 seconds
> (5 Min) the client registered the current IP address. If the client went
> offline, the last known IP was re-registered in tzo.com.
> The CNAME works great for every thing but a mail server or MX record, the MX
> record had to point to user.tzo.com because CNAMES are not allowed in MX
> records.
>
> If all works as it should, when someone types servername.domainname.com in
> their browser, it sends a DNS request to your DNS server for that name,
> which returns a CNAME record with the dydns.org name. This slows the process
> down a bit because it requires an extra lookup, but it is about all someone
> with a dynamic IP address can do to host a public site on a dynamic IP
> address.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:07:37 AM

In news:0C9BAED5-5F24-4ECB-8CEA-868C753730E0@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dyndns wants me to use their nameservers.
> https://www.dyndns.org/support/services/custom/howto.ht...
> is their how to article. They tell me I need to use
> ns1.mydyndns.org and ns2.mydyndns.org.
>
> So do I setup 2 cnames to those server addresses?
> Or do I need to delegate?

If you bought a domain name and dydns.org is hosting the DNS for the name on
their DNS and their DNS is updated with your clients current IP address, I
don't see a reason for you to do anything on your DNS.

If they just use the dydns.org service and client to update a record in
dydns.org then you need a cname.

How ever you've set it up you don't need a delegation, the delegation they
are talking about is when you by a domain name and dydns.org is going to
host the public zone. That domain name is delegated to dydns.org's name
servers by the gTLD DNS servers. Then the user logs into dydns.org and
updates the "A" records in that zone with their current IP address.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:37:05 AM

Hi Kevin -

I didn't buy the domain from dyndns. It is a domain I already own and host
at a different location. At my registrar, the nameservers for this domain
all point to my local box. They do not host my entire dns schema.

They only host 1 record servername.domainname.com on dyndns
How do I get my local dns zone to allow the transfer to this record
to their dns server, but keep any other request local?

John

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:0C9BAED5-5F24-4ECB-8CEA-868C753730E0@microsoft.com,
> John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Dyndns wants me to use their nameservers.
> > https://www.dyndns.org/support/services/custom/howto.ht...
> > is their how to article. They tell me I need to use
> > ns1.mydyndns.org and ns2.mydyndns.org.
> >
> > So do I setup 2 cnames to those server addresses?
> > Or do I need to delegate?
>
> If you bought a domain name and dydns.org is hosting the DNS for the name on
> their DNS and their DNS is updated with your clients current IP address, I
> don't see a reason for you to do anything on your DNS.
>
> If they just use the dydns.org service and client to update a record in
> dydns.org then you need a cname.
>
> How ever you've set it up you don't need a delegation, the delegation they
> are talking about is when you by a domain name and dydns.org is going to
> host the public zone. That domain name is delegated to dydns.org's name
> servers by the gTLD DNS servers. Then the user logs into dydns.org and
> updates the "A" records in that zone with their current IP address.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:00:09 PM

In news:F284F5BF-6B26-4994-9A60-4866765DD4C1@microsoft.com,
John McLagan <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin -
>
> I didn't buy the domain from dyndns. It is a domain I
> already own and host at a different location. At my
> registrar, the nameservers for this domain all point to
> my local box. They do not host my entire dns schema.
>
> They only host 1 record servername.domainname.com on
> dyndns
> How do I get my local dns zone to allow the transfer to
> this record
> to their dns server, but keep any other request local?

Why don't you email me direct by following the instructions in my signature
line giving mere the full details and names. Because in order for Dydns to
host the servername.domainname.com and be authoritative for it, they would
have to be Authoritative over the domainname.com public domain.

What I need to know is what domain does your customer register its dynamic
address in at Dydns.org?
I cannot possibly tell you whether you need a CNAME or a delegation without
knowing this.
Does Dydns.org host your customer's public domain zone, there by registering
the dynamic IP in your customers owned domain.
-or-
Does your customer just have an account that allows them to register the
dynamic address in one of Dydns.org's owned domains under a username, e.g.
user.dydns.org.

--
!