TheFatOne

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I have a few spare machines of which I would like to convert one to a NAS box with ubuntu. I am choosing between the two:

Machine 1:

Sepron 2200+
512mb DDR PC3200 (running @ 166 I think as board supports)
233 FSB I think

Machine 2:

Dual Xeon 1.4GHz
2GB RDRAM
100Mhz FSB

I know it appears to be a no-brainer but I am adding a PCI RAID card and SATA II drives as well as PCI Gigabit NICS and seeing as how the PCI Bus will be shared between the NIC and RAID controller I thought FSB might also play a larger role making machine 2 short on bandwidth. Whichever machine is selected for the NAS, the other will run Win 2k3 with terminal services for P2P applications so we dont all have to have a copy of Kazaa or Limewire or BitTorrent installed on every machine in the house so I dont need a workhorse for that as it is already running on machine 1 and its plenty fast enough. My main focus a very fast NAS.

Mondoman

Splendid
Don't worry, the drives will be the limit on your sustained data transfer speeds. Besides, #2 is also likely to have a better-quality power supply and better-cooled case.

PS - Or you could just sell the RDRAM on eBay and buy a new car :wink:

TheFatOne

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
true that on the ebay man, i have another machine with 256 of RDRAM and didnt even bother looking for upgrade im gonna sell it at my shop for a couple hundred and buy the stuff for my NAS...lol. Thanks for the info.