DNS integrated to Active directory not working properly

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 21, 2005 9:59:07 AM

I have a windows 2003 active directory with integrated DNS server in my site.
All the client computer's primary DNS entry is pointing to this DNS.

Now the problem is if we nsllokup from the client machine it gives error
message

Can't find server name for address 160.221.191.5: Non-existent domain ***
Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnown Address:
160.221.191.5.

Is it means DNS is not working. If so how can we resolve this problem.

Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:10:52 PM

In news:6C4F0B1E-F35C-479D-A641-3DB0CC8875A8@microsoft.com,
login script not execute <loginscriptnotexecute@discussions.microsoft.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have a windows 2003 active directory with integrated
> DNS server in my site. All the client computer's primary
> DNS entry is pointing to this DNS.
>
> Now the problem is if we nsllokup from the client machine
> it gives error message
>
> Can't find server name for address 160.221.191.5:
> Non-existent domain *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server: UnKnown Address: 160.221.191.5.
>
> Is it means DNS is not working. If so how can we resolve
> this problem.
>
> Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP

It does not mean DNS is not working, it means nslookup can't find a PTR for
the DNS server IP address. Hence you get "Can't find _server_ _name_ for
_address_ _160.221.191.5_" with 160.221.191.5 being the DNS server address.

That said, 160.221.191.5 is a public IP address, is this the address of your
local DNS server or ISP's DNS server?
Use only the DNS address that supports the AD domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

yes it is my local Active directory integrated DNS server.

Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:6C4F0B1E-F35C-479D-A641-3DB0CC8875A8@microsoft.com,
> login script not execute <loginscriptnotexecute@discussions.microsoft.com>
> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I have a windows 2003 active directory with integrated
> > DNS server in my site. All the client computer's primary
> > DNS entry is pointing to this DNS.
> >
> > Now the problem is if we nsllokup from the client machine
> > it gives error message
> >
> > Can't find server name for address 160.221.191.5:
> > Non-existent domain *** Default servers are not available
> > Default Server: UnKnown Address: 160.221.191.5.
> >
> > Is it means DNS is not working. If so how can we resolve
> > this problem.
> >
> > Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP
>
> It does not mean DNS is not working, it means nslookup can't find a PTR for
> the DNS server IP address. Hence you get "Can't find _server_ _name_ for
> _address_ _160.221.191.5_" with 160.221.191.5 being the DNS server address.
>
> That said, 160.221.191.5 is a public IP address, is this the address of your
> local DNS server or ISP's DNS server?
> Use only the DNS address that supports the AD domain.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

March 21, 2005 2:47:06 PM

In news:12A150AE-73C9-4002-AD34-9D511110E94E@microsoft.com,
login script not execute <loginscriptnotexecute@discussions.microsoft.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> yes it is my local Active directory integrated DNS server.

To stop the message you need a reverse lookup on the IP address. The problem
comes in that this is a public IP address. You will need a zone that only
covers the IP addresses on this server. If this is the only IP address do
this:
Use the DNS management console, expand the server name, open reverse lookup
zones, in the Action Menu, select new zone, when you get to the part of the
wizard where you se4lect to enter the Network ID or Reverse lookup zone
name, select the option to enter a reverse lookup zone name and use this
name:
5.191.221.160.in-addr.arpa. Finish the wizard then open the zone, right
click in the zone, select new pointer, leave the Host IP number blank, type
a FQ server name in the Host name field and click OK.

Do not use the Network ID on the zone name, you can only go to 160.221.191
for the Network ID. Which means the zone will cover 254 IP addresses you
don't have. This could be a big problem if you have a mail server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
April 12, 2009 12:47:13 PM

I have a simillar DNS issue, my outlook ask for domain authentication many times before it downloads the emails. A nslookup result is shown below where 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.25 are my domain controllers with AD integrated DNS on them.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

G:\Documents and Settings\sthomas>nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.1: Non-existent domain
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.25: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.2.1

Pls give suggestions to solve the issue ?
!