DNS integrated to Active directory not working properly

I have a windows 2003 active directory with integrated DNS server in my site.
All the client computer's primary DNS entry is pointing to this DNS.

Now the problem is if we nsllokup from the client machine it gives error
message

Can't find server name for address 160.221.191.5: Non-existent domain ***
Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnown Address:
160.221.191.5.

Is it means DNS is not working. If so how can we resolve this problem.

Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP
4 answers Last reply
More about integrated active directory working properly

    In news:6C4F0B1E-F35C-479D-A641-3DB0CC8875A8@microsoft.com,
    login script not execute <loginscriptnotexecute@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have a windows 2003 active directory with integrated
    > DNS server in my site. All the client computer's primary
    > DNS entry is pointing to this DNS.
    >
    > Now the problem is if we nsllokup from the client machine
    > it gives error message
    >
    > Can't find server name for address 160.221.191.5:
    > Non-existent domain *** Default servers are not available
    > Default Server: UnKnown Address: 160.221.191.5.
    >
    > Is it means DNS is not working. If so how can we resolve
    > this problem.
    >
    > Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP

    It does not mean DNS is not working, it means nslookup can't find a PTR for
    the DNS server IP address. Hence you get "Can't find _server_ _name_ for
    _address_ _160.221.191.5_" with 160.221.191.5 being the DNS server address.

    That said, 160.221.191.5 is a public IP address, is this the address of your
    local DNS server or ISP's DNS server?
    Use only the DNS address that supports the AD domain.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    yes it is my local Active directory integrated DNS server.

    Jagadeesh Prashanth.HP

    In news:12A150AE-73C9-4002-AD34-9D511110E94E@microsoft.com,
    login script not execute <loginscriptnotexecute@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > yes it is my local Active directory integrated DNS server.

    To stop the message you need a reverse lookup on the IP address. The problem
    comes in that this is a public IP address. You will need a zone that only
    covers the IP addresses on this server. If this is the only IP address do
    this:
    Use the DNS management console, expand the server name, open reverse lookup
    zones, in the Action Menu, select new zone, when you get to the part of the
    wizard where you se4lect to enter the Network ID or Reverse lookup zone
    name, select the option to enter a reverse lookup zone name and use this
    name:
    5.191.221.160.in-addr.arpa. Finish the wizard then open the zone, right
    click in the zone, select new pointer, leave the Host IP number blank, type
    a FQ server name in the Host name field and click OK.

    Do not use the Network ID on the zone name, you can only go to 160.221.191
    for the Network ID. Which means the zone will cover 254 IP addresses you
    don't have. This could be a big problem if you have a mail server.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  4. I have a simillar DNS issue, my outlook ask for domain authentication many times before it downloads the emails. A nslookup result is shown below where 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.25 are my domain controllers with AD integrated DNS on them.

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    G:\Documents and Settings\sthomas>nslookup
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.25: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.2.1

    Pls give suggestions to solve the issue ?

Active Directory DNS Servers Windows