Could this be an AMD 4x4 motherboard....

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
IM pretty sure thats just an opteron server mobo as many servers use 2 CPUs as is noted by macs 4 core (2x dual) desktop that runs off the xeon server proc.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
It's possible, but highly doubtful - note that it uses ECC memory and PCI-X, both of which are common for server boards. I'd expect 4x4, a.k.a. "Quad-Father," to use more consumer friendly features: PCIe istead of PCI-X, and normal memory.

Oddly enough, I can't find anything on the chipset it uses...

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I agree with hando. this is a regular F socket board for the upcoming opteron. But I,d say that this board is like a look to whats coming. But they would never put PCI X on a board that is meant to be used for gaming.

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I agree with you an almost everything except the 940 pins the new opteron 2000 will have over 1000 pins i,m not exactly sure how many but am sure i,t over 1000. 940 pins is for the current / opteron.

Can anyone give me an anser on how many pins the new F socket has?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
That's a server motherboard, notice the LSI SAS controller and the PCIX-133 slots: this bus is used only on servers from many years because they require very high bandwidth for their SCSI controllers & RSA processors and PICe came out much time later.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
We know 4x4 is using the socket F platform
No. 4x4 will be AM2 based otherwise you'll have to use Registered memory. It'd be too expensive too.

From what I hear it's socket F, it's impossible to get an extra HT link into the AM2, thus it would never work...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
It certainly looks like it has all the known requirements of 4x4, ticks the boxes et..... We know 4x4 is using the socket F platform, and this mobo certainly has the PCI-e slots to handle multi GPU and multi PPU....

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundern6650w.html

I doubt it. There will be no PCI-X on 4x4 mobos. Enethusiasts and content people don't need PCI-X.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
It certainly looks like it has all the known requirements of 4x4, ticks the boxes et..... We know 4x4 is using the socket F platform, and this mobo certainly has the PCI-e slots to handle multi GPU and multi PPU....

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundern6650w.html

I doubt it. There will be no PCI-X on 4x4 mobos. Enethusiasts and content people don't need PCI-X.

Why not I would love to have a SCSI controller with 4 drives in RAID 0 array.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Because the LSI SAS controller on this mobo is for professional use and regular users won't pay over 2000$ for 4 RAID0 HD (which is also extremely unsecure).
On server mobos the SCSI controller is a must, because only a very fast SCSI drive can deliver the required performance and reliabilty in heavy leaded DB applications, but on a gaming or office PC you'll see no difference at all between a Raptor and a 15k U320 that costs 3 or 4 times and requires the SCSI controller that alone accounts for another 300$.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Because the LSI SAS controller on this mobo is for professional use and regular users won't pay over 2000$ for 4 RAID0 HD (which is also extremely unsecure).
On server mobos the SCSI controller is a must, because only a very fast SCSI drive can deliver the required performance and reliabilty in heavy leaded DB applications, but on a gaming or office PC you'll see no difference at all between a Raptor and a 15k U320 that costs 3 or 4 times and requires the SCSI controller that alone accounts for another 300$.

So.

mpjesse

Splendid
yes, that board can be considered the "equivalent" of 4x4 from a purely technical standpoint. All 4x4 really is is dual sockets w/ SLI capability.

clearly, this board is capable of both dual socket/dual core opterons and SLI.

however, 4x4 is meant to be more of a "certification" than anything. sort of like "SLI certified" motherboards.