"IBM To Shatter Moore’s Law With 300GHz CPU"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
IBM is about to unveil a revolutionary form of computing that could tranform the World of information. It is known as the Crystal Computer and it is a way to use pulses of light to transfer and store digital information as quantum bits. A processor so fast it is capable of running the eqivilatent of 300GHz, or about 400 Gflop/sec, that’s about 100 times faster than today’s fastest consumer microprocessors.

Really impressive.

Just wondering if AMD will use this type of technology for their TRIPS architecture (if they ever consider it). :wink:

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/crystalcomputer.html

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Old news, and a thread for this already exists.... this thread needs to be locked.

Yea, this one is like 2-month old news, and it's never gonna hit consumer market considering the wafer size is giantic, and the whole thing has to be keep at -200C to hit that speed.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
DOUBT that much,,, not everything IBM does AMD has access to.
IBM does have a very serious R&D department & obtains by far the most patents annually,,, well almost. IBM gets significant revenue from them also.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
200px-Carlb-sockpuppet-01.jpg

Slinky%20Original%20Metal.jpg

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
If they had a working system ready for production they would be selling it. Obviously this is probably a non-functional prototype. If they had something that did work I would expect it to show up at a trade show. It is easy to make claims, and another thing to produce actual results.

Show me the working computer, mainframe or otherwise. This would be a waste on a PC. If they get this working expect it in a top of the line Server Environment.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Knowing, beforehand, that you won't reply at my posts, I'll comment this post in such a fashion that it won't really need your rebuttall... at all.

Since it's a small, bad article, I'll paste it all here:

IBM to shatter Moore’s law with 300GHz Crystal Computer....IBM is about to unveil a revolutionary form of computing that could tranform the World of information. It is known as the Crystal Computer and it is a way to use pulses of light to transfer and store digital information as quantum bits. A processor so fast it is capable of running the eqivilatent of 300GHz, or about 400 Gflop/sec, that’s about 100 times faster than today’s fastest consumer microprocessors.

Fist off, the article seems to be addressing, in a clumsy way, Quantum Computing & conventional computing in a single chip which I could hardly classify within the boundaries of any classical computing "law" (I'm sure Moore would agree...); Then, I don't know if IBM's planning to compete with its POWER7 (also slated to 2008/9) but, here's a snapshot of the forefront on Quantum Computing and the hurdles it still has to overcome, to produce... well, a Quantum Computer in 2009:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2006/8/18/5036
and, the abstract:
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/ser...00074000001011802000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=Yes
(mind the dates)

.... The advance is similar to the one made by Australian National University, which used two lasers to focus at a silicate crystal holding atoms of an element known as praseodymium. The element absorbed the light and stored the quantum information as quantum bits.

Here's what the LPC folks at ANU (Camberra) have done:
http://www.physorg.com/news6123.html
Most enlightening, huh?!

....IBM scientists will use a complex process to evenly distribute the rare element neodymium inside silicate crystal. The process works by transferring information onto light beams utilizing the natural "nuclear spin" of the photons in the laser beam. When a series of three lasers are beamed in sequence on the crystal, digital information stored as quantum bits are released and the quantum information is encoded on the neodymium atoms. These atoms can store massive amounts of information. Because of the laws governing quantum mechanics, particles that make up the atoms can be oriented both up and down at the same time. This unit of information is called a qubit, and can hold much more information than a standard digital bit made up of either a 1 or 0.

Doping the crystal is OK but «utilizing the natural "nuclear spin" of the photons» is something else; photons, like any other particles, have intrinsec spin (1; -1, in this case); nuclear particles also have intrinsec spins; and, the photon doesn't have a natural "nuclear spin" but its own...
As for the «massive amounts of information» atoms (rather, ions) can store, if only spin is considered, two 'bits' of information: Up & Down, i.e., 1 AND 0; unlike classical computing, where the two values are alternate, 1 OR 0. The biggest difference is that a given particle can be either 1 AND 0, simultaneously; it's called an entangled state. The major storage potential, comes from the sheer number of atoms (or nucleons...) available, not from the number of [the non-existent] transistors.

....The best part about this breakthrough is that it shatters Moore’s Law, which states the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits will doubled every 18 months. The Crystal computer changes the computer paradyme by taking the transitor right out of the mix, and replacing it with the atom. Processor heat and complexity will be replaced with the cool methodical spin of the atom.

If this is the best part, I'll be damned! If the [computing] paradigm is changed and there are no classical transistors... at all! And, the «cool, methodical spin of the atom» has nothing to do with Quantum Mechanics; it sounds as if atoms could have a 9-to-5 job & go tea-party, afterwards.

....Plans are speeding ahead for a 2009 introduction date, the working name for the chip is “neoton”. Can the Crystal Computer deliver the kind of performance promised and the reliability needed to capture the PC market. Only time and Moore’s unstoppable Law will tell..... " This is clearly the dawning of a new age in computers".

2009?! Well, I surely hope so... why bother with POWER7 & K8L, then?!
Otherwise, this could clearly be "the drowning of a new age in computers"... starting in 2009!

Cheers!

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
IBM also has had articles on Nano-Tubes and Flexible transistors that could be used to build a flexible view screen. I have yet to see these products in any kind of a working system.

This is what I am talking about. It is easy to claim you are doing research, and it is another thing to actually produce a working product. IBM is into the server market in a big way, and they are into the big iron mainframes.

I think this may sound good, but show me a working product before I believe in this dream concept. I say bring it on and show us a working product. Dream Products do not make any money.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
IBM is about to unveil a revolutionary form of computing that could tranform the World of information. It is known as the Crystal Computer and it is a way to use pulses of light to transfer and store digital information as quantum bits. A processor so fast it is capable of running the eqivilatent of 300GHz, or about 400 Gflop/sec, that’s about 100 times faster than today’s fastest consumer microprocessors.

Really impressive.

Just wondering if AMD will use this type of technology for their TRIPS architecture (if they ever consider it). :wink:

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/crystalcomputer.html

Imagine the video card needed so as to not bottleneck your 300GHz gaming machine, and hit 2000FPS in Oblivion. :?