Solved

Why is Windows 7 Storing ISO files in VirtualStore folder?

I'm using DVD Shrink to make iso's from DVD's and I've noticed that my ISO files are being stored in the VirtualStore folder. The file is fine and I can burn it back to DVD w/ no issues just strange how it doesn't store it in my root c:\ directory. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows storing files virtualstore folder
  1. Can't you change the storage directory path?
  2. Sounds a program trying storing the file somewhere in the directory structure that it shouldn't, where vista/7 will create an equivalent in the virtual store.
  3. Windows 7 has native support for burning an ISO file, maybe that's why it puts them in a virtual store.
    By the way you can't delete them to the recycle bin, only a permanent delete, by holding down the shift key.
  4. mi1ez said:
    Sounds a program trying storing the file somewhere in the directory structure that it shouldn't, where vista/7 will create an equivalent in the virtual store.

Isn't c:\filename.iso a valid path in Windows 7? This is the default but wont store here.
  5. Best answer
    Windows 7 won't let applications write to C:\.
  6. Quote:
    Windows 7 won't let applications write to C:\.

Well...that explains it then huh? Thanks!
  7. I had the exact same issue. I could not even see my ISO files, it was like they vanished. I only could find them by disabling the iso mounting application in device manager and also setting explorer to show ALL files including hidden OS files.

They I found a bunch of ISOs taking up a ton of space.

I'd love to disable that win 7 feature.
  8. Could I please kindly ask that you help me ? I need to learn how to disable the iso mounting application so that I can delete about 365GB of virtualstore garbage that I can't even see.
  9. raj072 said:
    I had the exact same issue. I could not even see my ISO files, it was like they vanished. I only could find them by disabling the iso mounting application in device manager and also setting explorer to show ALL files including hidden OS files.

They I found a bunch of ISOs taking up a ton of space.

I'd love to disable that win 7 feature.

Can you let me know also how to disable this. I can't find any info on the web on how to do this.
    Thanks!
    Bill
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD ISO Windows 7