Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why is Windows 7 Storing ISO files in VirtualStore folder?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2009 10:59:53 PM

I'm using DVD Shrink to make iso's from DVD's and I've noticed that my ISO files are being stored in the VirtualStore folder. The file is fine and I can burn it back to DVD w/ no issues just strange how it doesn't store it in my root c:\ directory. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 3:21:32 PM

Can't you change the storage directory path?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 4:00:10 PM

Sounds a program trying storing the file somewhere in the directory structure that it shouldn't, where vista/7 will create an equivalent in the virtual store.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 8:22:03 PM

Windows 7 has native support for burning an ISO file, maybe that's why it puts them in a virtual store.
By the way you can't delete them to the recycle bin, only a permanent delete, by holding down the shift key.
m
l
November 15, 2009 4:30:13 PM

mi1ez said:
Sounds a program trying storing the file somewhere in the directory structure that it shouldn't, where vista/7 will create an equivalent in the virtual store.

Isn't c:\filename.iso a valid path in Windows 7? This is the default but wont store here.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2009 8:48:20 PM

Windows 7 won't let applications write to C:\.
November 15, 2009 8:50:05 PM

Quote:
Windows 7 won't let applications write to C:\.

Well...that explains it then huh? Thanks!
m
l
September 13, 2010 5:00:15 AM

I had the exact same issue. I could not even see my ISO files, it was like they vanished. I only could find them by disabling the iso mounting application in device manager and also setting explorer to show ALL files including hidden OS files.

They I found a bunch of ISOs taking up a ton of space.

I'd love to disable that win 7 feature.
m
l
February 8, 2011 12:49:06 AM

Could I please kindly ask that you help me ? I need to learn how to disable the iso mounting application so that I can delete about 365GB of virtualstore garbage that I can't even see.
m
l
February 28, 2012 6:21:14 PM

raj072 said:
I had the exact same issue. I could not even see my ISO files, it was like they vanished. I only could find them by disabling the iso mounting application in device manager and also setting explorer to show ALL files including hidden OS files.

They I found a bunch of ISOs taking up a ton of space.

I'd love to disable that win 7 feature.

Can you let me know also how to disable this. I can't find any info on the web on how to do this.
Thanks!
Bill
m
l
!