Sign in with
Your question

am2 x2 3800+ build...advice anyone?

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2006 11:38:03 PM

I'm new to the building scene but have been doing my research (tomshardware, newegg, etc.) on what hardware to use. I'm gonna go with the AMD Athlon 64 am2 X2 3800+ but haven't made up my mind for the rest. I'm looking at some middle of the line motherboards ($80-120) and video cards but don't know which will suit my needs. I do some gaming (COD2) and photoshop but mainly just have IE and azureus running. Also any components/advice about making this a home theater system and connecting it to my receiver and TV is welcome. I'm not looking to purchase a top of the line system but do want to have everything run smoothly and be able to upgrade (am3) in the future easily.

I was planning on a PCIe vid card and at last a gig of ram. At first I wanted to keep it below $1000 but now I am thinking that will not happen. I really cannot give a strict number I want to keep it around but I will say I am not looking to build someones beast dream machine. Looking for a stable PC that will run smoothly for a couple years.

I think it will be an almost complete new build as I am using a 3 year old Dell dimension 4600 and I don't know if I can/want to use anything from it. I will keep the the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and any other non CPU things (let me know if you can think of others) that are compatible for sure until I have enough funds to upgrade each of those. I believe the CPU itself will consist of all new hardware.

Heres a breakdown of what I think/want...

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 am2 X2 3800+ (pretty much set in stone...have read too many threads comparing/degrading/arguing about processors to change my mind now!)

MB - want PCIe but have no need for SLI, a HD or 2 (don't know much about RAID but it looks like I will be going that route in the near future), enough PCI slots for a wireless card, ram (2x1gig), and does sound card use PCI

Vid card - Geforce 7600 GT for $149.99 or the $206.68 Radeon X1800 GTO but if I get persuaded maybe the GeForce 6800GS will fit the budget. All I really need to do is to play COD2 and the next few series of games. I can play COD2 on my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and the graphics are bearable but not the best. I would be happy if I could play the next few years of games on this new card (starcraft 2, warcraft 4?, COD3?). I also need the capability of connecting to the TV (I would like a digital connection, like HDMI, if at all possible)

Sound card - like borbus said, I want 5.1 digital sound. Gaming sound is not that improtant as I am currently playing COD2 with one speaker most of the time! Not fun hitting the speaker with someone in the crosshair trying to snipe!

Memory - just want something that is solid and compatible. I don't think I need DDR2 800 for the performance jump over the 939 socket like I am hearing. Just need at least 1 gig that will work for the time being. Another gig will come later if things become laggy or I have extra funds.

Case, power supply, fans - decisions on all those will come later as I don't think they are as important (correct me if I'm wrong). I do want a relatively quiet machine though so again I'm open to any recommendations.

Questions? Suggestions? Insight?

More about : am2 3800 build advice

September 1, 2006 2:34:34 AM

Any good citizens out there??? I think I have all the more expensive components chosen. I will probably add a DVD-RW drive, a couple hard drives (good deals for a RAID setup welcome), and maybe a floppy (not sure if I really need one) to the final list. Also, let me know if there is anything missing (ie. heatsink/fan) or any compatibility issues I might face in the future. I will probably not get everything from newegg but its just easy to provide a good detailed link.

RIG
September 1, 2006 4:32:41 AM

go for 2GB of ddr800 ram. Find a nice brand that sell 2x1GB ram at newegg except cor$air. Video card can be cheap AIW like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

it will serve you well with gaming and home theater.

Dont buy an expensive mobo, set yourself for a price range of $60 and below.
Related resources
September 1, 2006 11:22:05 AM

The mobo you picked has integrated video, you dont need that. Get a mobo that has the Nvidia 550 or 570 (preferably) chipset.

Get the All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900, its $215 but youll be pleased with it for a long time. You should check out the VGA benchmarks on tomshardware and see how it performs really well for its price range. Plus you get all the home teather features.

Get two gigs now and forget about it for two years. The corsair youve picked seems to overclock well to 800 CL5.

You might want a high end zalman or a big typhoon an some artic silver 5 if youre planning on overclocking alot (which is recommend hehe).

Try posting the sound card issue in the Sound cards forums, im sure those guys will help you out.

The case seems fine, nice budget yet secure pick.
September 1, 2006 12:44:35 PM

Quote:
go for 2GB of ddr800 ram. Find a nice brand that sell 2x1GB ram at newegg except cor$air.

not fan boying or anything but why not cosair?
September 1, 2006 1:06:54 PM

Quote:
The mobo you picked has integrated video, you dont need that. Get a mobo that has the Nvidia 550 or 570 (preferably) chipset.

Get the All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900, its $215 but youll be pleased with it for a long time. You should check out the VGA benchmarks on tomshardware and see how it performs really well for its price range. Plus you get all the home teather features.

Get two gigs now and forget about it for two years. The corsair youve picked seems to overclock well to 800 CL5.

You might want a high end zalman or a big typhoon an some artic silver 5 if youre planning on overclocking alot (which is recommend hehe).

Try posting the sound card issue in the Sound cards forums, im sure those guys will help you out.

The case seems fine, nice budget yet secure pick.

That x1900 is a great buy, but also realize thats its very long. Probably one of the longest cards i have seen. So make sure you have room for it in your case.
September 1, 2006 2:29:08 PM

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E

Vid Card: 7600GT now- DX10 later..
September 1, 2006 3:38:17 PM

Quote:

The mobo seems fine if you arent overclocking much and youll go with Corsair memory...

The 7600GT doesnt have a TV output.
You shouldnt worry about DX10 right now, no games will be out for it until Q1 2008. And with the stuff you play the X1900 AiW will display it beautifully.
September 1, 2006 4:08:26 PM

Quote:

The mobo seems fine if you arent overclocking much and youll go with Corsair memory...

You shouldnt worry about DX10 right now, no games will be out for it until Q1 2008. And with the stuff you play the X1900 AiW will display it beautifully.

I don't understand why people keep saying "no DX10 games will be out until Q1 2008". Yes, the vast majority of DX10 games will not be out until then, but there will be a few released next year, including my favorite, Flight Simulator X (which will reqire a DX10 patch once Vista and GPUS are released)...
September 1, 2006 5:04:43 PM

Quote:

Vista will require DX10 card from day one to get the completely Vista experience. Thats the idea.
September 2, 2006 1:41:24 AM

Quote:

Vista will require DX10 card from day one to get the completely Vista experience. Thats the idea.

The aeroglass interface you mean?
September 2, 2006 1:43:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah- it wont fully work unless there a DX10 card installed. Now what that means is anyones guess.
September 2, 2006 3:36:37 AM

Well, in any case, if you want a cheaper card but still with the Tv tuner and radio. You could get the X1300. But it isnt nearly as much performance as the X1900, theres about a 75~80% performance DROP.

I say dont worry and when the time comes for when youll need to upgrade things will be better and cheaper.
September 2, 2006 4:08:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah- it wont fully work unless there a DX10 card installed. Now what that means is anyones guess.

The only requirement for Aeroglass was a DX9 compatible video card...you don't need a DX10 video card to use it fully.
September 2, 2006 6:17:02 PM

My opinion is stick with 7600GT and go DX10 later. Also I STRONGLY recommend to not get M2NE board. I had one, died in a few months. Alot of problems before it died. Its not just me either, look at other forums. I have the X2 3800+ and its a very good processor. I recommend PQI Power Series 667 Ram. It can keep up with my 7900gt and x2 3800+, plus its cheap. 1GB should be definatly fine for now. Now for a motherboard I recommend Motherboard

and heres a link to
RAM
!