Change DNS Network IP

Is there any way to easily change my DNS IP network. My current IP address
is 192.168.1.XXX/24 and would like to change it to 10.10.1.###/24

Thanks R
5 answers Last reply
More about change network

    If you're using DHCP this isn't too painful. You setup a superscope, and
    then disable the old range.

    Obviously, you have to reconfigure the servers. The DCs are particularly
    important -this is one of the main ways to create the DNS island problem.

    Have a look at this article for info. on changing a DCs IP address:
    -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/22/47/

    Obviously you need to change the sites and subnets, and have to cleanup DNS
    and WINS if necessary.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you're using DHCP this isn't too painful. You setup a superscope, and
    > then disable the old range.
    >
    > Obviously, you have to reconfigure the servers. The DCs are particularly
    > important -this is one of the main ways to create the DNS island problem.

    You might also wish to setup routing between
    the old an new address ranges so that as machines
    transfer, they will still be able to reach their servers
    and peers.

    Routers for instance might be given an address on
    each network until all machines have transitioned.

    The same MIGHT make sense for servers but can
    probably be handled by the routers more easily AND
    more reliably.

    > Have a look at this article for info. on changing a DCs IP address:
    > -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/22/47/
    >

    > Obviously you need to change the sites and subnets, and have to cleanup
    DNS
    > and WINS if necessary.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

    The DHCP and all the leases there are easy. I was hoping I would not have to
    go through all the entire DNS. Almost like a search and replace. It will be
    only the 1st three octets being changed globally. Small network.

    > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If you're using DHCP this isn't too painful. You setup a superscope, and
    >> then disable the old range.
    >>
    >> Obviously, you have to reconfigure the servers. The DCs are particularly
    >> important -this is one of the main ways to create the DNS island problem.
    >
    > You might also wish to setup routing between
    > the old an new address ranges so that as machines
    > transfer, they will still be able to reach their servers
    > and peers.
    >
    > Routers for instance might be given an address on
    > each network until all machines have transitioned.
    >
    > The same MIGHT make sense for servers but can
    > probably be handled by the routers more easily AND
    > more reliably.
    >
    >> Have a look at this article for info. on changing a DCs IP address:
    >> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/22/47/
    >>

    >> Obviously you need to change the sites and subnets, and have to cleanup
    > DNS
    >> and WINS if necessary.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Paul Williams
    >>
    >> http://www.msresource.net/
    >> http://forums.msresource.net/

    If it were a LOT of addresses or zones, then
    I would drop them to standard Primaries, kept
    in the file system, and run a Perl script through
    them before loading them back up and changing
    back to AD-Integrated.

    That is what I have done in the past.

    There is a point where changing the zone type
    and writing a quick script is easier than using
    the GUI.

    BTW, this is one of the main reasons that zone
    files use the "@" sign to reflect the "last record
    name" -- so that multiple zones files can be built
    to look very similar when they all point to the same
    set of addresses (such as with many multi-site web
    and FTP servers.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Bob" <b@B.b> wrote in message news:7w30e.75991$755.41293@lakeread05...
    > The DHCP and all the leases there are easy. I was hoping I would not have
    > go through all the entire DNS. Almost like a search and replace. It will
    be
    > only the 1st three octets being changed globally. Small network.

    > > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you're using DHCP this isn't too painful. You setup a superscope,
    and
    > >> then disable the old range.
    > >>
    > >> Obviously, you have to reconfigure the servers. The DCs are
    particularly
    > >> important -this is one of the main ways to create the DNS island
    problem.

    > > You might also wish to setup routing between
    > > the old an new address ranges so that as machines
    > > transfer, they will still be able to reach their servers
    > > and peers.
    > >
    > > Routers for instance might be given an address on
    > > each network until all machines have transitioned.
    > >
    > > The same MIGHT make sense for servers but can
    > > probably be handled by the routers more easily AND
    > > more reliably.
    > >
    > >> Have a look at this article for info. on changing a DCs IP address:
    > >> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/22/47/
    > >>

    > >> Obviously you need to change the sites and subnets, and have to cleanup
    > > DNS
    > >> and WINS if necessary.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Paul Williams
    > >>
    > >> http://www.msresource.net/
    > >> http://forums.msresource.net/

    In news:y900e.75590$755.32854@lakeread05,
    Bob <b@B.b> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Is there any way to easily change my DNS IP network. My
    > current IP address is 192.168.1.XXX/24 and would like to
    > change it to 10.10.1.###/24
    >
    > Thanks R

    Not easy, but you can reduce the pain by first adding the new IP addresses
    to the DNS servers (Make sure DNS is listening on the new address) and DCs
    if this is an AD environment. Set the DC to use all four addresses in TCP/IP
    properties.
    Then run Netdiag /fix then run netdiag /test:dns /v to make sure the new
    addresses are registered in DNS.

    Then it is just a matter of getting the new address scheme out to the
    clients, after which time you can remove the old addresses from the DC and
    run the netdiag commands again.

    Otherwise if you just change the addresses on the DCs, your Network is down
    until you have changed the clients. This makes it where you can change the
    address on the fly fairly easily.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]