Multiple IP entries

Please excuse this very simple question, but I am no DNS expert :)

We have a general problem of very long log in times. I have addressed many
issues with this, but I have noticed in our DNS forward lookup zone (but not
reverse) there are sometimes up to four different names with the same IP
address.

Is this wrong? It seems it to me. What are the ramifications of deleting
these records? Will they lose the ability to contact a DC etc? The DNS
Server is Win2000 Serv and is a DC. Workstations are all Win2k SP4 with
default settings (Dynamic DNS I think). Other servers are Win2003 DC, and
Win2003 member server.

Thanks for your help!

-------
Tech Admin
West Midlands, England
Stressed and Tired!
--------

In news:61AAE62F-2DF8-4DEE-AD02-2A0FE89DC1DB@microsoft.com,
Chris Hagon <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Please excuse this very simple question, but I am no DNS
> expert :)
>
> We have a general problem of very long log in times. I
> have addressed many issues with this, but I have noticed
> in our DNS forward lookup zone (but not reverse) there
> are sometimes up to four different names with the same IP
> address.
>
> Is this wrong? It seems it to me. What are the
> ramifications of deleting these records? Will they lose
> the ability to contact a DC etc? The DNS Server is
> Win2000 Serv and is a DC. Workstations are all Win2k SP4
> with default settings (Dynamic DNS I think). Other
> servers are Win2003 DC, and Win2003 member server.

Long logon times are generally caused because the clients are unable to find
the domain controller's records in DNS. This can be caused by several
factors, usually they are:
1. Client not using the local DNS address only in TCP/IP properties.
2. Domain controller not using the local DNS only in TCP/IP properties.
825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP

3. DC not registering or clients unable to find DC due to the AD domain
being a single-label DNS name.
300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

4. DC not registering due to a disjointed namespace.
257623 Domain Controller's Domain Name System Suffix Does Not Match Domain
Name
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257623&sd=RMVP

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Interesting.. thanks

Two things on our DNS server I noticed. The DNS SUffix for this connection
is not entered, and the node type on ipconfig /all is Peer-Peer not Hybrid.
Should the DNS Suffix be entered and the node type changed?

In news:2853E4A3-C772-4264-B361-BE41E9FFFBE0@microsoft.com,
Chris Hagon <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Interesting.. thanks
>

> Two things on our DNS server I noticed. The DNS SUffix
> for this connection is not entered, and the node type on
> ipconfig /all is Peer-Peer not Hybrid. Should the DNS
> Suffix be entered and the node type changed?

The DNS suffix for this connection is not required, and can be assigned by
DHCP option 015.
On the domain controller the Primary DNS suffix is required and must match
the AD domain name. The node type can also be assigned by DHCP, but is only
needed for NetBIOS and WINS, the node type makes no difference to DNS. The
Node type may affect Network Places but Network places doesn't use Active
Directory, though you do have an option to search Active Directory in
Network Places.

What is important is, the Domain Controller is usually used for the AD DNS
server, this means the DC and all clients must use the DCs's private address
_only_ for DNS. No ISP or other DNS address should be used in TCP/IP
properties.
If you will post the unedited ipconfig /all from the DC and one of the
clients, along with the AD domain name in ADU&C and the list of Forward
Lookup zone names in DNS, it will give me a clue if you are properly
configured for AD.