Are the new GPUs going to create new case design?

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Since they require more power they need like bigger PSUs, right? Are case manufacturers going to make super GPU-friendly cases?

That would suck because I want either this case, that case, or this one and everything else looks retarded to me.

So far I want the following stuff for my first build (beginning of next year):
Unicomp Customizer 101 Keyboard $70
Intel Core Duo E6600 CPU $400
AG Neovo F-417 Black 17" 4ms LCD Monitor $160
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker $65
Evercase ECE4502BS Case $50
Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 80mm 22.7 CFM (Intake)
Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm 36.8 CFM (Exhaust)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $80
Floppy Drive $5
Windows Vista $?
SAMSUNG Model SH-S162L DVD Burner $35
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory $250
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse $80
(copy pasted from a text doc, too lazy to edit out unimportant stuff)

--These things along with the next-gen GPU and mobo.

Will e6600 and the new GPUs work good together or will I need a new CPU?

I want to upgrade slowly over a course of a few years, and cheaply; no surprise-surprise things or new formats that will make me sad.

Should I stop thinking about this first build until all the facts are straightened out and the merchandise made available?

Why does this topic read like a Cathy cartoon?

I rather enjoyed researching and compiling this list of stuff to get but I'm sure most of it is going to get stripped down very soon with all the new stuff coming out like Vista and super GPUs and everything. Gosh, and I don't even know what to expect when it comes time to actually build the thing since I've never built a computer before and I don't have a debit card yet for purchasing the items.

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Are the new GPUs going to create new case design?

No.

The GPU manufacturers will work with the limits they have. Technology most likely will be able to stay within an ATX box both for a PSU and a Graphics card. The vast majority of people out there are quite happy with a middle of the road or less quality graphics card. PSUs that fit in the box already can pump out far more juice than needed. If the future super cards require more than what can fit in a case you'll see outside the box solutions, not a new form factor.

Also, Vista is going to change the way graphics cards work with your system on a fundamental level. It will allow GPUs access to system memory in a way they no longer could before.

You're quite future safe in buying any ATX case right now.