Single-label domain question

I have done alot of reading on single-label domains this morning as i am
tracking a 1054 userenv error with 5719 netlogon errors. I am posting here
to see if i can have a question answered:

Our domain name is partsfortrucks.com, when our clients join/logon to the
domain we just put in 'pft'. Does this constitute a single-label domain? And
if not, is this going to cause similar effects.

An ipconfig on any client in the domain show the primary DNS Suffix as
partsfortrucks.com.
our outside internet name is the same as our inside (b4 my time here)

W2K SP4 domain. mix of NT, 2K Pro and XP clients.
AD Integrated DNS

Just curious, as I am new to the AD DNS topics and very interested.
5 answers Last reply
More about single label domain question

    "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have done alot of reading on single-label domains this morning as i am
    > tracking a 1054 userenv error with 5719 netlogon errors. I am posting
    here
    > to see if i can have a question answered:
    >
    > Our domain name is partsfortrucks.com, when our clients join/logon to the
    > domain we just put in 'pft'. Does this constitute a single-label domain?
    And
    > if not, is this going to cause similar effects.

    If you Domain name is partsfortrucks.com then this is a
    TWO label domain name "partsfortrucks" and "com".

    If you are using the NetBIOS name for logon then that is
    irrelevant to the two label DNS name. (It is a BIT unusual
    but certainly legal for you to have a different NetBIOS name
    than the main portion of your DNS Name ptf ~ partsfortrucks

    > An ipconfig on any client in the domain show the primary DNS Suffix as
    > partsfortrucks.com.

    It is really the DOMAIN name that matters -- but that
    primary suffix SHOULD MATCH the actual domain name.

    What is the name in AD Users/Computer and of your DNS zone?

    If it is partsfortrucks.com then you have a two-label domain
    name.

    > our outside internet name is the same as our inside (b4 my time here)

    Irrelevant except that it is practically impossible for you to
    have a public DNS name that is single label so if they are
    the same you do NOT have a single label name.

    > W2K SP4 domain. mix of NT, 2K Pro and XP clients.
    > AD Integrated DNS
    >
    > Just curious, as I am new to the AD DNS topics and very interested.

    DNS for AD (General checklist):

    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

    In news:39E801F7-D267-4520-83CC-CDED22D443FE@microsoft.com,
    Tony <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1054&eventno=1393&source=Userenv&phase=1

    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5719&eventno=104&source=NETLOGON&phase=1

    > Our domain name is partsfortrucks.com, when our clients
    > join/logon to the domain we just put in 'pft'. Does this
    > constitute a single-label domain?

    No.

    And if not, is this
    > going to cause similar effects.

    The NetBIOS name is usually a single-label name. As long as the DNS name as
    seen in ADU&C is a multi-label name that matches the Primary DNS suffix of
    the DC and the zone name in DNS there should be no problem.

    > An ipconfig on any client in the domain show the primary
    > DNS Suffix as partsfortrucks.com.
    > our outside internet name is the same as our inside (b4
    > my time here)

    The fact that the external name is the same as the internal name make it
    impossible for the internal DNS to resolve names from the external DNS for
    the name without adding records or delegations for those names to the
    internal DNS. You are further hampered in the fact that for all domain
    members the domain name must resolve to the IP address on all DCs for which
    file sharing is enabled on. This allows access to the SYSVOL DFS share at
    \\partsfortrucks.com\SYSVOL if the domain name does not resolve to the DCs
    address you will see USERENV errors.
    You can also see these USERENV errors if the DC is multi-homed and the
    internal interface that has file sharing enabled is not at the top of the
    binding order or if one or more of the required services are disabled.

    A useful tool for diagnosing errors a Netdiag and Dcdiag from the server
    support tools on the CD. We can help you diagnose these if you post the
    following information:
    ipconfig /all
    Domain name from ADU&C
    List of forward lookup zone names in DNS
    results from a 'net start' command (without the quotes)
    results from Netdiag /v and dcdiag /v will give a lot of help.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Wow, thanks to both of you for your responses.
    The name of my dns zone is partsfortrucks.com.

    Yes, I am getting userenv errors, also getting netlogon errors which map to
    1-3 seconds before each userenv error. checked network connectivity can ping
    the DC/dns server by name and by host. (from client to server and vice versa).

    When i run a netdiag from both client and DC i get the following error:
    'The procedure entry point DnsGetPrimaryDomainName_UTP8 could not be located
    in the Dynamic Link Library dnsapi.dll'

    ipconfig /all:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : partsfortrucks.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    with
    SpeedBooster
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-1C-66-35
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    192.1.0.200
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.1.0.200
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:09:52
    AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:09:52 AM

    Domain Name from ADU&C:
    partsfortrucks.com

    Only one forward lookup zone name:
    partsfortrucks.com

    What will 'netstart' do?

    Netdiag does not function.

    Thank-you again guys!

    When researching a bit on this error i stumbled across the 'single-label'
    issue which someone suggected that this may be the cause.

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:39E801F7-D267-4520-83CC-CDED22D443FE@microsoft.com,
    > Tony <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > I have done alot of reading on single-label domains this
    > > morning as i am tracking a 1054 userenv error with 5719
    > > netlogon errors. I am posting here to see if i can have
    > > a question answered:
    > http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1054&eventno=1393&source=Userenv&phase=1
    >
    > http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5719&eventno=104&source=NETLOGON&phase=1
    >

    > > Our domain name is partsfortrucks.com, when our clients
    > > join/logon to the domain we just put in 'pft'. Does this
    > > constitute a single-label domain?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > And if not, is this
    > > going to cause similar effects.
    >
    > The NetBIOS name is usually a single-label name. As long as the DNS name as
    > seen in ADU&C is a multi-label name that matches the Primary DNS suffix of
    > the DC and the zone name in DNS there should be no problem.
    >

    > > An ipconfig on any client in the domain show the primary
    > > DNS Suffix as partsfortrucks.com.
    > > our outside internet name is the same as our inside (b4
    > > my time here)
    >
    > The fact that the external name is the same as the internal name make it
    > impossible for the internal DNS to resolve names from the external DNS for
    > the name without adding records or delegations for those names to the
    > internal DNS. You are further hampered in the fact that for all domain
    > members the domain name must resolve to the IP address on all DCs for which
    > file sharing is enabled on. This allows access to the SYSVOL DFS share at
    > \\partsfortrucks.com\SYSVOL if the domain name does not resolve to the DCs
    > address you will see USERENV errors.
    > You can also see these USERENV errors if the DC is multi-homed and the
    > internal interface that has file sharing enabled is not at the top of the
    > binding order or if one or more of the required services are disabled.
    >
    > A useful tool for diagnosing errors a Netdiag and Dcdiag from the server
    > support tools on the CD. We can help you diagnose these if you post the
    > following information:
    > ipconfig /all
    > Domain name from ADU&C
    > List of forward lookup zone names in DNS
    > results from a 'net start' command (without the quotes)
    > results from Netdiag /v and dcdiag /v will give a lot of help.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

    Is your DNS/domain name set in System Control Panel?

    It really should be set there -- especially for DCs. (Not
    just on the NICs as "connection specific" -- in fact, if
    properly set in the System CP it probably does NOT
    need to be set on the NIC for most machines.)

    You may get errors if you machine doesn't know it's
    "own domain name" in System CP->Computer Name
    tab (on modern machines.)

    You may get errors due to missing a reverse zone --these
    are not a serious problem, but can be easily fixed by
    creating the proper reverse zone and making it dynamic
    as well (Machines try to register both forward and reverse.)

    BTW: It is very odd that you are not using LOCALLY
    ADMINISTERED (private) address ranges:

    It is doubtful that you 'own' the above (192.1.0.x) network.

    A better choice would be 192.168.0.x, but this is not likely
    a part of the problem you are reporting.

    What firewalls (including computer/personal ones) are you
    running?

    --
    Herb Martin

> [...]
    > > ===================================
    > > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    > > with OEBackup:
    > > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    > > ===================================

    In news:A84ADA89-FFE1-4919-8659-E4ABA0959B49@microsoft.com,
    Tony <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Wow, thanks to both of you for your responses.
    > The name of my dns zone is partsfortrucks.com.
    >
    > Yes, I am getting userenv errors, also getting netlogon
    > errors which map to
    > 1-3 seconds before each userenv error. checked network
    > connectivity can ping
    > the DC/dns server by name and by host. (from client to
    > server and vice versa).
    >
    > When i run a netdiag from both client and DC i get the
    > following error:
    > 'The procedure entry point DnsGetPrimaryDomainName_UTP8

    I'm not sure what this error means but wel will try to work around it for
    now.
    I should have sais unedited ipconfig /all, important parts of this is
    missing.

    Please post the full unedited ipconfig /all
    That said, where are these DNS servers?
    This is for the DC isn't it?
    DNS is recommended to be run on a DC because only on a DC can you get secure
    updates only on the DNS zone (When Active Directory integrated)

    > ipconfig /all:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : partsfortrucks.com
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys
    > Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    > with
    > SpeedBooster
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    > 00-0F-66-1C-66-35
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.1.0.200
    > 192.1.0.200
    > Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.1.0.200
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday,
    > March 24, 2005 8:09:52
    > AM
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March
    > 27, 2005 8:09:52 AM
    >
    > Domain Name from ADU&C:
    > partsfortrucks.com
    >
    > Only one forward lookup zone name:
    > partsfortrucks.com
    >
    > What will 'netstart' do?

    The command is net start with a space, it will show the list of running
    services.

    > When researching a bit on this error i stumbled across
    > the 'single-label'
    > issue which someone suggected that this may be the cause.

    This does n't appear to be a single-label domain, it may be disjointed but I
    need to see the full ipconfig /all
    I'll also repeat what Herb posted, you are aware this is a public IP address
    range you are using which may be part of the problem. It belongs to BBN
    Communications.
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=192.1.0.4

    --
    Best regards,