new build

spellfire

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Hi first post here,been reading stuff here for years.Anyhow heres my situation,I have a 4200 x2 on a asus A8N SLI mobo with 2gb of ocz premium ram (4x512)250 gb sataII hd and 7600gt (bfg) dvd drive etc.Been oc'ing with ai booster and can nget 2.456mhz stable no prob but want to do it right in bios,anyone have same kinda rig and could give me bios settins and results on stock cooler...thanx in advance

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Welcome to TGForumz!

Not trying to be rude, but even if someone had the *exact* same rig, you'd get different OC results. Every single CPU clocks differently. I can give you a round-about, but don't just drop these numbers. Probably won't boot, but sometimes even worse things can happen.

With a stock cooler and good ventilation, expect 2.6Ghz as a max. Upgrade the cooler, you might hit 2.8Ghz.

~Ibrahim~

JDept

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi. As a newbie, I understand where you're coming from. But also I realize there's not much that anyone can do to help you, but yourself. I'd suggest doing a lot more research on OC'ng and reading a lot of past experiences w/ similar processors and OC'ng. From what I've researched already. You'd first manually increase you're CPU. Do this in very small increments! Then you'd use those apps you read about in reviews; such as in Tom's Hardware and others to make sure it's stable. This also can be done by running demanding applications; such as the newest games and even WinRaR. If it crashes it's most likely not stable. So either increase/decrease voltage, and experiment w/ settings until you come up w/ an working setting. You'll notice an obvious instability almost immediately. So try that and good luck to you.