popping sounds from computer

aexin

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I originially posted this on another forum, but I was redirected to this one, so, hi all, here is the post 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM #1
aexin

aexin is a n00b, but everyone loves n00bs!

Popping sounds coming from computer
In my computer, ever so often, maybe once or twice a week, I will hear a *pop* coming from my computer. It is not really loud, but loud enough for me to hear it over all of my fans. Is this anything I should be worried about?
aexin is online now Add to aexin's Reputation Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
aexin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to aexin
Find More Posts by aexin
Add aexin to Your Buddy List
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM #2
roxyboi
DeadEye

roxyboi is a n00b, but everyone loves n00bs!
Send a message via MSN to roxyboi

As long as it stays at once or twice a week and it doesn't seem to be coming from the main componants, then don't worry about it but if it becomes more frequent, and u notice your screen flashes then start to worry about it possible gpu fan may cause short some times cpu.
17" WideUXGA
2GB Dual Channel DDR
RAID 0 - 80GB 7200 RPM SATA
Dual 256MB, NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS in SLI

Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 PM #3
aexin

aexin is a n00b, but everyone loves n00bs!

It is beginning to become more frequent, once a day. It sounds like its either coming from the top of the computer. (where the optical drives and PSU are)
I could not completely thread on of the power connectors on my Hiper PSU, could this be causing the problem? (if it even is a problem)

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
definitely sounds like a PSU problem. If arching happened somwhere else inside your computer, it would be smelling like bacon already.

If you really want to try, take the PSU out and turn it on by shorting it (i posted it in aonther post but forgot which one about testing PSU, google it) make sure you put in a couple of fans in there to load it so it starts up and if u hear popping then replace it.

aexin

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
If i unplug the power connector that i think is the problem, the one to the optical drives, can i boot up my computer without it to see if that is the problem? Also, I physically cannot thread that one specific power connector, its like it doesnt fit. And could the sound possibly be coming from my case. I have the alienware predator case, and, when you put pressure on the side, it creaks/pops. (the power cables on the inside right side of the case are smushed against the chassis wall)

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
If i unplug the power connector that i think is the problem, the one to the optical drives, can i boot up my computer without it to see if that is the problem? Also, I physically cannot thread that one specific power connector, its like it doesnt fit. And could the sound possibly be coming from my case. I have the alienware predator case, and, when you put pressure on the side, it creaks/pops. (the power cables on the inside right side of the case are smushed against the chassis wall)

yes you can unplug the cabl that goes to the optical drive and boot up. I have no exp. with that case so I can't put in advice there.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
i'd suggest just replace the power supply :)

I second this notion. For $50-100 you can save yourself a lot of trouble(if the PSU is the culprit). Faulty PSU's can blow many many many things.

If you are going to get a new PSU, post your specs and we can recommend wattage on it. 8)

aexin

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
This is a brand new power supply, so im not going to replace it, ive got a 3 year warranty on it, if it is the problem, ill just call newegg and make them fix it.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
ill just call newegg and make them fix it.

Well I suggest you do that sooner rather than later, then.

If it is the PSU and it takes your system down while you're posting on the forum about your warranty agreement that'd truly suck. I doubt that newegg are into accomodating for 'consequential loss'.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Have you considered the possibility that popping may be metallic, and actually a part of your case? When metal heats up it expands: poorly made case, or part of a case may be secured such that an expanding sheet will buckle slightly, causing a popping sound.

Just a thought.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
This is a brand new power supply, so im not going to replace it, ive got a 3 year warranty on it, if it is the problem, ill just call newegg and make them fix it.

Do the PSU test where u can run it without it being hooked up to your components. Look here http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=197086&highlight=
or google it up.

leave it on with for a while and see if it pops. This might not be a 100% conclusive test as load will be mininal (hook up fans only).