DNS 414 "no DNS domain name"

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 26, 2005 7:49:02 AM

I have a W2k3 standard webserver to host email and domains only.
As I understand it, for security best practice I should not join this
box to my local active directory environment.

But everytime I boot my computer I get a 414 error in my DNS
event log. Currently my webserver is set as:

Computername: sally
Workgroup: enterprise.pub

I have rejoined to this workgroup serveral times, but I still get the error.
Any articles or ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

John

More about : dns 414 dns domain

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:07:02 AM

- UPDATE -

I added a dns suffix to the computername to make it a valid domain name. It
seems to have fixed the problem. (At least to the point that the error no
longer appears.)

Is this configuration correct if I am not going to join to a domain?

Thanks,

John

"John McLagan" wrote:

> I have a W2k3 standard webserver to host email and domains only.
> As I understand it, for security best practice I should not join this
> box to my local active directory environment.
>
> But everytime I boot my computer I get a 414 error in my DNS
> event log. Currently my webserver is set as:
>
> Computername: sally
> Workgroup: enterprise.pub
>
> I have rejoined to this workgroup serveral times, but I still get the error.
> Any articles or ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:28:06 PM

"John McLagan" <JohnMcLagan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> - UPDATE -
>
> I added a dns suffix to the computername to make it a valid domain name.
It
> seems to have fixed the problem. (At least to the point that the error no
> longer appears.)
>
> Is this configuration correct if I am not going to join to a domain?

It is normal for a computer to have a full domain
name (including) suffix and best to do it that way.

If you leave the check box set properly, then if you
ever join a domain, the name will change to correspond.

Only a very, very FEW machines should ever be set
(the opposite) to keep the 'other' suffix when they join
a domain.
March 28, 2005 3:50:47 AM

John McLagan wrote:
> - UPDATE -
>
> I added a dns suffix to the computername to make it a valid domain
> name. It seems to have fixed the problem. (At least to the point
> that the error no longer appears.)
>
> Is this configuration correct if I am not going to join to a domain?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>

> "John McLagan" wrote:
>
>> I have a W2k3 standard webserver to host email and domains only.
>> As I understand it, for security best practice I should not join this
>> box to my local active directory environment.
>>
>> But everytime I boot my computer I get a 414 error in my DNS
>> event log. Currently my webserver is set as:
>>
>> Computername: sally
>> Workgroup: enterprise.pub
>>
>> I have rejoined to this workgroup serveral times, but I still get
>> the error. Any articles or ideas how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John

Ensure the server name is correct under the nameserver tab in DNS properties
since you changed it.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:51:51 AM

John McLagan wrote:

> I have rejoined to this workgroup serveral times, but I still get the
> error. Any articles or ideas how to fix this?

Just to point out, a machine cannot be "joined" to a "workgroup". However, a
machine can be joined to a domain. I think you mean you set the name in the
Computer ID tab in System properties?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:49:03 AM

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> John McLagan wrote:
>
> > I have rejoined to this workgroup serveral times, but I still get the
> > error. Any articles or ideas how to fix this?
>
> Just to point out, a machine cannot be "joined" to a "workgroup". However, a
> machine can be joined to a domain. I think you mean you set the name in the
> Computer ID tab in System properties?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Ace

You are correct Ace. I didn't join the workgroup, but when you accept the
new workgroup, it does say it joined it.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. Everything looks great in the dns
and no more 414 errors.

Cheers,

John

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
> =================================

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:07:49 AM

John McLagan wrote:

> You are correct Ace. I didn't join the workgroup, but when you
> accept the new workgroup, it does say it joined it.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their assistance. Everything looks great in
> the dns and no more 414 errors.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Good to hear!