Reverse MX Record Problem

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what I'm
missing.

I'm running DNS on Windows 2003. I've got everything working EXCEPT,
whenever I run dnsreports.com, I fail the checkup for Reverse DNS entries for
MX records. Now I have an MX record on my DNS server and have been receiving
and sending mail fine. I killed and recreated the MX record, but it does not
seem to have an automatic reverse record created. I've gone in and made sure
there is a reverse lookup PTR record to the server where mail resides. The
machine mail is on is just a normal server, not named special or
mail.sreb.org or anything of the like. I run DNS on my server, and have
alternate name service by way of the University System of Georgia.

Is this something missing on my DNS system, or is it indicating a record
problem on one of the external name servers? And if it is on my DNS server,
what do I need to do to add the proper record? Everything I've looked at
seems right, so I need a little help if possible.

Many thanks.

You probably need to contact your ISP and ask them to setup the PTR
record to point to your A record. Normally they maintain control of the
reverse lookup zone unless you request it.

Kwashnak wrote:
> I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what
I'm
> missing.
>
> I'm running DNS on Windows 2003. I've got everything working EXCEPT,

> whenever I run dnsreports.com, I fail the checkup for Reverse DNS
entries for
> MX records. Now I have an MX record on my DNS server and have been
receiving
> and sending mail fine. I killed and recreated the MX record, but it
does not
> seem to have an automatic reverse record created. I've gone in and
made sure
> there is a reverse lookup PTR record to the server where mail
resides. The
> machine mail is on is just a normal server, not named special or
> mail.sreb.org or anything of the like. I run DNS on my server, and
have
> alternate name service by way of the University System of Georgia.
>
> Is this something missing on my DNS system, or is it indicating a
record
> problem on one of the external name servers? And if it is on my DNS
server,
> what do I need to do to add the proper record? Everything I've
looked at
> seems right, so I need a little help if possible.
>
> Many thanks.

> I'm running DNS on Windows 2003. I've got everything working EXCEPT,
> whenever I run dnsreports.com, I fail the checkup for Reverse DNS entries
for
> MX records. Now I have an MX record on my DNS server and have been
receiving
> and sending mail fine.

Can that MX record be resolve by the world of the
Internet?

(It doesn't matter whether it works for YOU or your
clients, if it doesn't work for those to whom you try
to send mail.)

Also does it MATCH name your EMAIL server claims
when it tries to send email (helo in SMTP)?

Does the address it uses also reverse to that name?

It does NOT matter WHAT that name is (it might have
nothing to do with your domain, but it must match all
the way around: SMTP->MX->reverseIP

> I killed and recreated the MX record, but it does not
> seem to have an automatic reverse record created.

What is the zone or MX record name?

> I've gone in and made sure
> there is a reverse lookup PTR record to the server where mail resides.

Same name and also visible on the INTERNET?

> The
> machine mail is on is just a normal server, not named special or
> mail.sreb.org or anything of the like. I run DNS on my server, and have
> alternate name service by way of the University System of Georgia.

We can look if you give us the name.

> Is this something missing on my DNS system, or is it indicating a record
> problem on one of the external name servers? And if it is on my DNS
server,
> what do I need to do to add the proper record? Everything I've looked at
> seems right, so I need a little help if possible.

You aren't giving us enough info. We cannot test the
error without the name.

Kwashnak wrote:
> I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what
> I'm missing.
>
> I'm running DNS on Windows 2003. I've got everything working EXCEPT,
> whenever I run dnsreports.com, I fail the checkup for Reverse DNS
> entries for MX records. Now I have an MX record on my DNS server and
> have been receiving and sending mail fine. I killed and recreated
> the MX record, but it does not seem to have an automatic reverse
> record created. I've gone in and made sure there is a reverse lookup
> PTR record to the server where mail resides. The machine mail is on
> is just a normal server, not named special or mail.sreb.org or
> anything of the like. I run DNS on my server, and have alternate
> name service by way of the University System of Georgia.
>
> Is this something missing on my DNS system, or is it indicating a
> record problem on one of the external name servers? And if it is on
> my DNS server, what do I need to do to add the proper record?
> Everything I've looked at seems right, so I need a little help if
> possible.
>
> Many thanks.

As Bernard said, talk to your ISP to create it for you. They own the IP
block, and therefore are authorative for it, not your DNS. Depending if
subnetted or not, and/or their TOS, they may delegate to you if you want.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??

Thanks everyone for your help. It was a problem with my ISP not being
authorized to replicate reverse DNS zones, but your answers gave me the
direction in which to work.

Kwashnak wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your help. It was a problem with my ISP not being
> authorized to replicate reverse DNS zones, but your answers gave me
> the direction in which to work.

My pleasure.

Ace