Sign in with
Your question

identifying rails on antec true power 2 550w(2 12V rails)

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2006 4:17:59 AM

hey all,

i'd appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. i just bought an antec true power 2.0 550W (2 12V rails) power supply to go along with my new system, which includes a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800XT 256 MB pci-e, and a Western Digital 320 Gig 16mb Sata Hdd.

I've read that it's important to put the graphics card on a seperate rail from other power hungry components, so I'd like to put the graphics card on a seperate rail from the Hdd, since these are the 2 main power consumers. The power supply has 2 pci-e cables, and 2 Sata cables(each with 2 Sata connectors on them). I'm guessing that each 12V rail has 1 pci-e cable and 1 Sata cable associated with it. So how do i tell which pci-e cable is on the same rail with which Sata cable?

There doesn't seem to be any indication on the cables to differentiate the rails, and nothing of use in the instruction manual, so I just picked chose 2 cables randomly. I just finished putting the system together, powered it up, installed windows, installed the graphics drivers, and everything seems fine - but i'd like to make sure that the graphics card is getting as much amperage as possible.

Also, My case has 3 120mm fans, a 80mm fan, and a front LCD display. Should I also stick all of these on a seperate rail from graphics card? Other system items are Samsung DVD burner, pentium d 805, Arctic Freezer 7 cpu heatsink/fan, 2gigs Corsair XMS2 ddr2 675, audigy 2 ZS, pci d-link wireless adapter.

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, so maybe my question doesn't even make sense, but i'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks,
Laynard
August 20, 2006 11:36:39 AM

Quote:
hey all,

i'd appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. i just bought an antec true power 2.0 550W (2 12V rails) power supply to go along with my new system, which includes a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800XT 256 MB pci-e, and a Western Digital 320 Gig 16mb Sata Hdd.

I've read that it's important to put the graphics card on a seperate rail from other power hungry components, so I'd like to put the graphics card on a seperate rail from the Hdd, since these are the 2 main power consumers. The power supply has 2 pci-e cables, and 2 Sata cables(each with 2 Sata connectors on them). I'm guessing that each 12V rail has 1 pci-e cable and 1 Sata cable associated with it. So how do i tell which pci-e cable is on the same rail with which Sata cable?

There doesn't seem to be any indication on the cables to differentiate the rails, and nothing of use in the instruction manual, so I just picked chose 2 cables randomly. I just finished putting the system together, powered it up, installed windows, installed the graphics drivers, and everything seems fine - but i'd like to make sure that the graphics card is getting as much amperage as possible.

Also, My case has 3 120mm fans, a 80mm fan, and a front LCD display. Should I also stick all of these on a seperate rail from graphics card? Other system items are Samsung DVD burner, pentium d 805, Arctic Freezer 7 cpu heatsink/fan, 2gigs Corsair XMS2 ddr2 675, audigy 2 ZS, pci d-link wireless adapter.

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, so maybe my question doesn't even make sense, but i'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks,
Laynard

Your HDD's don't use much power at all. No real need to worry about putting them on a seperate rail imho. Just spread them around on all the connectors fairly evenly and you should be more than OK.
August 20, 2006 3:09:59 PM

plug them in. if it work. good job.

there is no way to tell with a non modular PSU. the rail's will merge if too much load is on one or the other
August 21, 2006 10:08:52 PM

ok, thanks for the responses. everything seems to have plenty of power - all fans running, etc. only problem i'm having is the video card, sapphire x1800xt 256mb pci-e, is running hot. idles at 67C at stock speeds. but i guess that wouldn't be related to the power supply.
!