  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:52:17 PM

Please excuse me for being stupid. I have a dsl connection 1.5 and its
connected to my usb port but I was told I could get a faster and more secure
connection if I used eternet. So here's what I did: I bought a ethernet pc card
(Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card is what it says) I found out it plugs into
a laptop not desktop! So my question is can I purchase an adapter to use this
card for my desktop? I don't want to go to the trouble of sending it back if I
don't have to.
Thanks In Advance:)

More about : eternet question

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:54:24 PM

In article <20041015115217.23542.00001795@mb-m18.aol.com>,
AnxiousButFree <anxiousbutfree@aol.comxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:p lease excuse me for being stupid. I have a dsl connection 1.5 and its
:connected to my usb port but I was told I could get a faster and more secure
:connection if I used eternet.

That would depend on whether the xDSL modem and your PC are both
running USB 2.0. If not, if one or both are USB 1.0, then the maximum
possible throughput is a bit less than 1.5 mbps, and in that case
you would be able to get higher throughput rates with a direct wired
ethernet connection. If, though, both the xDSL modem and your PC are
running USB 2.0, the maximum throughput rate exceeds 1.5 mbps, and
you would not gain any performance by going to a direct wired ethernet
connection.

In either case, USB connections are at least as secure as direct wired
ethernet connections, so you will not gain any security by going
with a direct wired ethernet connection.

:So here's what I did: I bought a ethernet pc card
:( Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card is what it says)

According to the specs at

http://www.actiontec.com/products/tech/broadband/80211a...

that card has no wired ethernet connector. In order to use that card,
you would need to have a wireless router or wireless access point
connected to your xDSL connection. Wireless is going to be less
secure than a wired ethernet connection in your configuration, especially
as that card only supports 128 bit WEP and not WPA or any of the
newer security protocols: there are known ways to breach security
on WEP, and the problems are such that 128 bit WEP only takes twice
as long to breach as 64 bit WEP.

The fact that the card you bought operates at "54 megabits per second"
would not make it any faster in your configuration than a card
that only operated at "11 megabits per second": in either case, the
limiting factor would be the speed of your xDSL modem, 1.5 megabits
per second. And as I indicated above, if your xDSL modem and PC are
both running USB 2.0 then you are already getting full performance
out of your xDSL connection, and putting a "54 megabits per second"
wireless link in the middle is not going to improve your performance.
It could worsen your performance, though, as it is likely that any
wireless setup would have greater latency than a directly wired setup.

:I found out it plugs into
:a laptop not desktop! So my question is can I purchase an adapter to use this
:card for my desktop?

Probably Yes you could get an adapter, but I can't promise that.
Generally speaking, those kinds of adapters do exist: for example,
I have some from D-Link and some from Linksys. However, it is possible
that the adapters are not interchangable between manufacturers: if so,
then you could end up without having an appropriate driver to use
the combination. Actiontech does not appear to offer those kind
of adapters themselves. I do not have the PC experience to know whether
all Cardbus to PCI adapters operate in the same manner.

The cost of the D-Link and Linksys adapters was very close to
the cost of their Cardbus wireless cards (the style you got).
And you'd need to add a wireless router or wireless access point
to make the connection.

:I don't want to go to the trouble of sending it back if I
:D on't have to.

The card you got appears to be fairly unsuited to addressing the
performance issue that you identified as your problem, and making
that card work is going to cost you significantly more than
going the USB 2.0 or wired PCI ethernet card route.

I would think it unlikely (but not impossible) that an xDSL modem
that offered 1.5 mbps service would offer just USB 1.0 and not USB 2.0,
so if you are indeed not getting full performance, then that would suggest
that your USB connectors on your PC might be USB 1.0. If that is the
case, then the easiest remedy would be to get a USB 2.0 card, which
would probably offer multiple connectors that you could also use to
connect other devices. Getting a wired ethernet card would also
give better performance than if you have USB 1.0 on either end of
your current connection.

All in all, I would advise you to return the card. I would further
advise that you may well not have any performance issue that
changing interfaces would help you with -- the only room for improvement
is if either your PC or the xDSL modem are using USB 1.0 instead of
USB 2.0.
--
Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

Thank You Very Much:)