asus p5b deluxe w/ pentium D 915

I have a asus p5b deluxe motherboard.

I purchased a pentium D 915 which i recently RMA'd.

I RMA'd the processor because the temperature was at a very high 80 degrees celsius on average. Ranging from 76C to 83C and at a one time extreme of 110C (which i immediatly turned the pc off).

The heatsink was warm->hot to the touch. So the heatsink was properly seated.

After RMA'ing the cpu because i thought that the processor was defective i am concerned that it might be the motherboard that should be RMA'd.

I've nevered heard of the problem being the motherboard overheating the processor. But i like to be open minded to weird posibilities ...

Has anyone experienced this problem where the processor was really hot at 80C and RMA'd the motherboard and worked fine after receiving a replacement?

jhwang107

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I tried my board with PentiumD 950 and it works OK. Yes the 915 does run very hot, so 70~80+Celcius is no surprise.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm not sure wether it would be the processor or motherboard, but I do know wang107 said 70-80C is normal but it shouldn't matter on what processor type you use its still way to hot for idle.

I have the P5B and Pentium D 805 it was originally idling @ 140-180F w/e that is Celius, so I went out and bought AS5 and the Zalman 9500 fixed up the cable's a bit for better air flow and now my comp is running 105-110idle.

When is your processor RMA'd due back any idea yet?

i'm hoping for friday i should get it. If not friday then next week.

I found an Asus forum here http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...us&page=2&board_id=1&model=P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

someone mentioned that the asus P5B and the deluxe version are reporting wrong temperatures. Mentioned about the same processor i got runing at 80C on his motherboard but is able to install windows and run the computer normally without any lockups.

I'm not sure wether it would be the processor or motherboard, but I do know wang107 said 70-80C is normal but it shouldn't matter on what processor type you use its still way to hot for idle.

I have the P5B and Pentium D 805 it was originally idling @ 140-180F w/e that is Celius, so I went out and bought AS5 and the Zalman 9500 fixed up the cable's a bit for better air flow and now my comp is running 105-110idle.

When is your processor RMA'd due back any idea yet?

(changed the q-fan from silent to performance and it idles at 54 now)

I got my new processor and running at 60C. Intel heatsink sucks bigtime.

Motherboard is so far pretty sweet. No problems there. Otherthan it corrupting my harddrive and losing all the data. Good thing i have a program called winternals to recover all that data. I hope... Got a lot of purchase music from itunes on there.

anyway working much better this time around.