Newbie in over my head?

Hi, I have a domain controller that is showing the following message in the
event log during startup;
Since the machine is a domain controller, I can't do what it says to do
below (open control panel, system, network etc...)

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

The Event Log Message:

The DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is a
single label hostname with no domain (example: "host" rather than
"host.microsoft.com").

You might have forgotten to configure a primary DNS domain for the server
computer. For more information, see either "DNS server log reference" or "To
configure the primary DNS suffix for a client computer" in the online Help.

While the DNS server has only a single label name, all zones created will
have default records (SOA and NS) created using only this single label name
for the server's hostname. This can lead to incorrect and failed referrals
when clients and other DNS servers use these records to locate this server
by name.

To correct this problem:
1) open ControlPanel
2) open System applet
3) select NetworkIdentification tab
4) click the "Properties" button and enter a domain name or workgroup
name; this name will be used as your DNS domain name
5) reboot to initialize with new domain name

After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up default records,
substituting new DNS name of this server, for old single label name.
However, you should review to make sure zone's SOA and NS records now
properly use correct domain name of this server.

More about newbie head

    Can you do it over the weekend?

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Mark Durrenberger" <durrenm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a domain controller that is showing the following message in
    > the
    > event log during startup;
    > Since the machine is a domain controller, I can't do what it says to do
    > below (open control panel, system, network etc...)
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Mark
    >
    > The Event Log Message:
    >
    > The DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is
    > single label hostname with no domain (example: "host" rather than
    > "host.microsoft.com").
    >
    > You might have forgotten to configure a primary DNS domain for the server
    > computer. For more information, see either "DNS server log reference" or
    > configure the primary DNS suffix for a client computer" in the online
    > Help.
    >
    > While the DNS server has only a single label name, all zones created will
    > have default records (SOA and NS) created using only this single label
    > name
    > for the server's hostname. This can lead to incorrect and failed
    > referrals
    > when clients and other DNS servers use these records to locate this server
    > by name.
    >
    > To correct this problem:
    > 1) open ControlPanel
    > 2) open System applet
    > 3) select NetworkIdentification tab
    > 4) click the "Properties" button and enter a domain name or workgroup
    > name; this name will be used as your DNS domain name
    > 5) reboot to initialize with new domain name
    >
    > After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up default records,
    > substituting new DNS name of this server, for old single label name.
    > However, you should review to make sure zone's SOA and NS records now
    > properly use correct domain name of this server.

    In news:eUJtwUWNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Mark Durrenberger <durrenm@yahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi, I have a domain controller that is showing the
    > following message in the event log during startup;
    > Since the machine is a domain controller, I can't do what
    > it says to do below (open control panel, system, network
    > etc...)

    There is a script in this KB article that will fix this right up, read the
    KB, run the script and reboot.

    257623 Domain Controller's Domain Name System Suffix Does Not Match Domain
    Name
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257623&sd=RMVP

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Cool. Thanks.
    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, PMP
    Principal, Oak Associates, Inc, www.oakinc.com
    "Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management"

    The nicest thing about NOT planning is that failure
    comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by
    a period of worry and depression.

    - Sir John Harvey-Jones
    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:eUJtwUWNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Mark Durrenberger <durrenm@yahoo.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Hi, I have a domain controller that is showing the
    > > following message in the event log during startup;
    > > Since the machine is a domain controller, I can't do what
    > > it says to do below (open control panel, system, network
    > > etc...)
    >
    > There is a script in this KB article that will fix this right up, read the
    > KB, run the script and reboot.
    >
    > 257623 Domain Controller's Domain Name System Suffix Does Not Match Domain
    > Name
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257623&sd=RMVP
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

    Kevin
    All is fine. Thanks for your help.
    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, PMP
    Principal, Oak Associates, Inc, www.oakinc.com
    "Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management"

    The nicest thing about NOT planning is that failure
    comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by
    a period of worry and depression.

    - Sir John Harvey-Jones
    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:eUJtwUWNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Mark Durrenberger <durrenm@yahoo.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Hi, I have a domain controller that is showing the
    > > following message in the event log during startup;
    > > Since the machine is a domain controller, I can't do what
    > > it says to do below (open control panel, system, network
    > > etc...)
    >
    > There is a script in this KB article that will fix this right up, read the
    > KB, run the script and reboot.
    >
    > 257623 Domain Controller's Domain Name System Suffix Does Not Match Domain
    > Name
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257623&sd=RMVP
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,