what is different between dcporo with router on & off?

Dear Sir,
I am from S'pore, I got problem with dcpromo. Here is my scenario.

I am using Netgear wireless router together with notebook for simulation
I also installed vmware with W2K advanced server.

HostOS is WinXP
GuestOS is W2k Advanced Server

When i tried to run dcpromo with router switch on, it never ask dns. I think
automatically get dns info from my isp.
I can able to ping www.yahoo.com, able to nslookup.
How can I setup my own dns server ?

Thanks,

John
179172@gmail.com

The problem is that all domain-based queries call SRV records. Adding to a
domain, and DCPROMO with certain options configured, specifically calls
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain-name.com. These records should be registered in
the DNS zone that is authorative for the AD namespace. By default, this is
your DC (if DCPROMO configures DNS).

If you don't yet have a DNS setup, run DCPROMO and let DCPROMO configure
DNS. You should do this with the router off, or with static TCP/IP settings
that don't point to another DNS server, and you should have the DNS service
installed already.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

In news:e6abeOgNFHA.204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
John S'pore <179172@gmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dear Sir,
> I am from S'pore, I got problem with dcpromo. Here is my
> scenario.
>
> I am using Netgear wireless router together with notebook
> for simulation
> I also installed vmware with W2K advanced server.
>
> HostOS is WinXP
> GuestOS is W2k Advanced Server
>
> When i tried to run dcpromo with router switch on, it
> never ask dns. I think automatically get dns info from my
> isp.
> I can able to ping www.yahoo.com, able to nslookup.
> How can I setup my own dns server ?

Install DNS on the server, don't create any zones as of yet. Point the
server to it's own private address for DNS, (the server must have a static
IP address) Use the DNS management console to configure the DNS server with
a forwarder to your ISP's DNS on the forwarders tab.
Configure DHCP on the router to give the server's address for DNS, this
should give all your clients internet access with your server resolving DNS
for them.

Run DCPROMO on the server, set the DNS name to a name like domain.com or
domain.local or lan.domain.com The latter being my preference. During
dcpromo it wil ask you to set up a NetBIOS domain name with the default
being lan if you use lan.domain.com, you can change that to any name you
want. During the dcpromo process it will also ask you if you want to set up
DNS select yes and let dcpromo configure DNS for you.
After it restarts, run netdiag and dcdiag look for errors you can use /fix
with these commands to fix minor errors. Then, you can begin adding members,
but the members must use the DCs address for DNS only.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]