Unable to access SERVER-B on Win2K3 network

Tags:
  • Workstations
  • Servers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 31, 2005 3:03:02 PM

I'm unable to access a server on my Win2K3 SBS network.
1) The other server (SERVER-B) is a Win2KSP4 server. Not new since the
addition of the Win2003 SBS server (SERVER-A).
2) I can access the Win2K3 SBS server from any workstation in the office.
3) I can't access SERVER-B from any workstation in the office. All
workstations are WinXPSP2. WinExplorer gives the message indicating that
"\\SERVER-B is not accessible. You may not have access...."
4) From within Word I receive the "You do not have access to the folder
\\SERVER-B..."
I've looked into security on the Win2K3 server and the Win2K SERVER-B but I
can't seem to find where this is to change.
Is this a WIn2K3 issue, Win2K or WinXP Pro client issue and where do I make
the changes?
Thanks!
Tom

More about : unable access server win2k3 network

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:06:30 PM

In news:3A8B007D-C73A-4E39-ACDF-4BAE1E44480D@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm unable to access a server on my Win2K3 SBS network.
> 1) The other server (SERVER-B) is a Win2KSP4 server. Not
> new since the addition of the Win2003 SBS server
> (SERVER-A). 2) I can access the Win2K3 SBS server from
> any workstation in the office. 3) I can't access SERVER-B
> from any workstation in the office. All workstations are
> WinXPSP2. WinExplorer gives the message indicating that
> "\\SERVER-B is not accessible. You may not have
> access...." 4) From within Word I receive the "You do not
> have access to the folder \\SERVER-B..."
> I've looked into security on the Win2K3 server and the
> Win2K SERVER-B but I can't seem to find where this is to
> change.
> Is this a WIn2K3 issue, Win2K or WinXP Pro client issue
> and where do I make the changes?
> Thanks!
> Tom

Is the Win2k a member or replica of the SBS domain?
SBS does not support external trusts, so you may have a problem accessing
the Win2k if it is in another domain. All clients that are members of the
SBS domain will have the SBS domain as their primary DNS suffix and as the
DNS suffix search list. And also must use SBS for DNS only on its members,
so the SBS must resolve the Win2k domain. Do that by adding the Win2k domain
as a conditional forwarder.
You won't be able to use only the Win2k host name without its domain name,
unless you add the Win2k domain DNS suffix to the DNS suffix search list.

All said, if the Win2k is in its own domain, it is going to be a problem
accessing it, you may well demote the Win2k and add it as a replica DC for
SBS. Then the Win2k can hold the SBS domains zones, (provided the
replication scope on the zones in SBS is set to replicate to Domain
Controllers in the Active Directory Domain. By default Win2k3 creates a
Forest wide replication zone named "_msdcs.dnsdomainname" for this zone
you'll need to use a secondary on the Win2k or change its replciation scope
to domain controllers in the Active Directory domain.
While SBS must hold all five FSMO roles, the Win2k can be a Global Catalog
for the SBS domain, you'll get better performance for the SBS by moving the
global catalog off the SBS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]