Modular PSUs Cable Troubles & Thoughts & Advice??

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Are modular cable psu's a good idea and relialbe or a source of trouble because of the additional plugs at the psu?

Are these plugs/connectors standardized so that if I start off with a 600 watt for instance today I could add an 800 watt in a year and use existing cables without rewiring the whole system?

This concern arises around wiring up an Antec P180B case which requires longer then "normal" cable lengths I read.

Thank you.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Are modular cable psu's a good idea and relialbe or a source of trouble because of the additional plugs at the psu?

Are these plugs/connectors standardized so that if I start off with a 600 watt for instance today I could add an 800 watt in a year and use existing cables without rewiring the whole system?

This concern arises around wiring up an Antec P180B case which requires longer then "normal" cable lengths I read.

Thank you.

One wonders why you'd need an 800W PSU but anyway.

If you use an Antec PSU now and an Antex PSU in a years time then you should be fine. So if you keep the same brand you should be fine.

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Thank you.

One wonders why you'd need an 800W PSU but anyway.

If you use an Antec PSU now and an Antex PSU in a years time then you should be fine. So if you keep the same brand you should be fine.

Well, 800 watts or more I thought was in line, not with Dual Core but with Dual Core with Hyper Threading when it comes out and needs more power and with more stuff in 5.5" bays and big power hungry GPUs? Not that I'm going that direction at all but...nay--it doesn't make sense really does it? I'll just rewire the power supply wiring if I have to. :)

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I agree with 306maxi.

Just because a PSU is modular dosn't mean that all the cables are longer then normal. The length issue is obviously due to the PSU being at the bottom of the case. So plugging the power connecters into some motherboard may need an exstention due to the connectors being close to the top of the board. On most modular PSU the motherboard cables are the only ones that are not modular and are about the same length as standard PSU's. Any exstentions that come with modular PSU's are for the molex connectors.
So depending on the motherboard and the placement of the power connectors you may have no problems. You don't really need modular to accomidate the P180.

You don't need a modular PSU but it is best for a P180. If you have too many spare cables in the bottom section of the PSU it's just going to be very cramped and unpleasant. The ATX connector on my Antec NeoHE 550W is a lot longer than standard due to the fact that it's made to go into a P180.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Thank you.

Are modular cable psu's a good idea and relialbe

I don't think so.
or a source of trouble because of the additional plugs at the psu?

Yes those plugs on the PSU are the week point. They do NOT give full currant flow to start with and over time will only give less.

High currant supplys (Silverstone 850 Zeus or PC P&C 510/850/1KW) will never come with removable cables for this very reason.

The cables on PC P&C high currant units are long. I Only use this brand now and they reach any MB when mounted in a Coolermaster Stacker,mounted in any configuration.
This company will work with you if you have any custom needs also. Just phone them and talk with one of the techs.

Z

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
It is an interesting read..I agree...

One of the most dominant arguments I see from people who oppose modular PSUs is the extra resistance from the modularized connection to the unit. It was interesting to find out that while there may be some resistance, it is virutally negligible and, in some cases, less than the resistance detected in some non-modular PSUs. I've always been a fan of modular PSUs myself. I believe that modular PSUs from the more reputable companies such as FSP, Enermax and Antec are quite excellent and wouldn't hesistate to use one if a suitable one presented itself. In fact, I've an Enermax Galaxy on order.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Here is an interesting read on modular PSUs - it includes a review of various models as well...
http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1488_1.html

As you can see there is a loss right from the start...and with brand new units.

A year later a OC'er will find all sorts of errors and crashs as this fault just tends to grow larger over time.

I spent over 25 years working with high power 2-way radio amps for cars so if you want currant and don't want problems...yet still have removable conectors...they will be MASSIVE in size!

IE: For a 12-15 volt unit @ 60-80 amp draw the only plugs I found that really worked were ment for use on electric dryers/stoves. Even with these you needed to clean the oxidation from the at least two times a year and in doing so you could see some burn marks,even small "welding" spots.

The connectors used by all the PSU companys today are a real joke and the techs know it.
It is just about marketing.

Z

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I acknowledge that there is a loss and some resistance. But, some modular PSU perform better than some non-modular PSUs. The article goes to show that there are cases where non modular PSU have some greater resistance and loss than their counterparts.

But, it's all apples and oranges to me. I've used an Antec NeoPwer 480 and it served me extremely well, for a number of years I might add. In it's day it was rated better than any other comparable PSU - even better than what PC P&C offerred (as per MaximumPC).

I've never experienced a problem with modular PSUs so it's all good.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Here is an interesting read on modular PSUs - it includes a review of various models as well...
http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1488_1.html

As you can see there is a loss right from the start...and with brand new units.

A year later a OC'er will find all sorts of errors and crashs as this fault just tends to grow larger over time.

I spent over 25 years working with high power 2-way radio amps for cars so if you want currant and don't want problems...yet still have removable conectors...they will be MASSIVE in size!

IE: For a 12-15 volt unit @ 60-80 amp draw the only plugs I found that really worked were ment for use on electric dryers/stoves. Even with these you needed to clean the oxidation from the at least two times a year and in doing so you could see some burn marks,even small "welding" spots.

The connectors used by all the PSU companys today are a real joke and the techs know it.
It is just about marketing.

Z

You really don't know what you're on about. The difference is negligable.

Also learn how to spell current :roll:

If modular PSU's somehow developed problems over time then I think it'd be a commonly known fact rather than just some crap that a guy on a forum with a stupid cowboy for an avatar is spewing.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

This from the Antex power supply dude?

If modular PSU's somehow developed problems over time then I think it'd be a commonly known fact rather than just some crap that a guy on a forum with a stupid cowboy for an avatar is spewing.

Actually, numerous sources have documented problems with modular cable connections, but due to your rude attitude, I won't bother sharing the references I have.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
As you can see there is a loss right from the start...and with brand new units. A year later a OC'er will find all sorts of errors and crashs as this fault just tends to grow larger over time.

There are some interesting articles that deal with soldered connections vs. different connectors, including gold, silver, copper, etc. There are many approaches to making connectors work longer between servicing, such as sealants that attempt to exclude air. For high bandwidth applications daily cleaning is required to maintain performance. PC power supplies are not that demanding, but your comment is accurate.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

This from the Antex power supply dude?

Actually, numerous sources have documented problems with modular cable connections, but due to your rude attitude, I won't bother sharing the references I have.

Sorry for the typo :p Hardly as bad as spelling a word wrong numerous times.......

I think we can all agree that having a hardwired connection would be the best thing. Anyway. Your mobo, PSU, HDD's all have crappy connectors anyway as someone else pointed out. I do understand that you're going to get oxidisation happening and connectors will expand and contract but it's no worse than what's already going on. The inside of a PC is hardly a harsh environment as you yourself have explained.

The fact that less heat will be hanging around in your case due to the better airflow you will get probably negates the small difference that having a modular PSU makes. I do understand the theory of it all but the world is full of connectors carrying current and in most cases they require no maintenance at all.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Forums are for healthy discussion and debate, if you can't say something constructive and be polite then your not adding anything at all.

Antex makes PSUs, along with Enermeeks, Pc P&C&P&C&P, Goldstone, Thermaltook, Voltron Source and Mushpin

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Forums are for healthy discussion and debate, if you can't say something constructive and be polite then your not adding anything at all.

Antex makes PSUs, along with Enermeeks, Pc P&C&P&C&P, Goldstone, Thermaltook, Voltron Source and Mushpin

I stand corrected on "negligible"

Do thoze PeeSYooz give good currants? :roll:

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If resistance build up was really a serious issue with modular or regular power supply connections why don't they use gold plating? I've seen gold plating in a lot of other types of connectors but never in PC PSU supply cables.

I think I will take all the comments to heart with a grain of salt and wait to see what my options need to be when I get the mb mounted in the P180B case.

Thank you.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Actually, I believe that some of the Hyper series of modular PSUs use gold plating on their connectors.

Basically, though, people will argue until the end of the earth and stick to their opinions. It's helpful to see both sides of the story because, if anything, it does make you wiser. Perhaps someone will give you a perspective to look through that you hadn't considered.

I just know that, when all is said and done, my history with modular PSUS has been totally good. I've never had one go all freaky on me and they've powered many a rig. If I had any notion that modular PSUs were something to be concerned about I wouldn't have ordered an Enermax Galaxy.

I like them. They do fine by me and always have. I suppose that it's because I do alot of deep research on PSUs before I buy them.

To each their own....

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Actually, I believe that some of the Hyper series of modular PSUs use gold plating on their connectors.

Basically, though, people will argue until the end of the earth and stick to their opinions. It's helpful to see both sides of the story because, if anything, it does make you wiser. Perhaps someone will give you a perspective to look through that you hadn't considered.

I just know that, when all is said and done, my history with modular PSUS has been totally good. I've never had one go all freaky on me and they've powered many a rig. If I had any notion that modular PSUs were something to be concerned about I wouldn't have ordered an Enermax Galaxy.

I like them. They do fine by me and always have. I suppose that it's because I do alot of deep research on PSUs before I buy them.

To each their own....

I just find it irritating when people portray them as some kind of ticking timebomb in a PC that will go off at any gven moment. It's simply not true in that sense.

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I look at it like this:
Modular PSU's might over time start to build up resistance due to the conectors being in sections. However this build up of resistance is VERY VERY slow. And by the time you have a actual problem at this connector site I will have re-built my computer at least 4 times by now and have a new PSU anyway and have already sold the previous one since it can no longer power my 2killowatt hungry system.

In other words, if you like a modular PSU, go for it. Its not gonna kill your box unless you plan on using it for like the next 10 years. *and by the its more likely to fail internaly than due to the connectors*

TRENDING THREADS