i will be building

e6600
asus p5w dh deluxe
radeon x1900xt
corsiar 2x1gb
2x samsung 250gb
antec p180

*wont be overclocking

Antec NeoHE 500W. Guaranteed to have the cable length for the P180, it's quiet and it's neat. I put the 550W version in my P180 on friday and they seem to go together rather nicely. Modular cables are an added bonus too. Just take a bit of time to plan which cables you're going to put where and you'll have a nice neat case inside and out :)

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Though that is a nice PSU, I noticed from the reviews that it only ships with the cable for 2 rails.

I am looking too. I have the stock PSU for my case which only has (1) 18A 12V rail. When I play games the system crashes sometimes when there is a lot of action. The PSU seems to run pretty hot. I can overclock and run (2) burn-in tests and it's stable, but when I get my raid0 going and gpu's working, I get crashes. My system is as follows.....do you think the PSU is causing the crashes? How important is it for me to upgrade it now? I am in Iraq and running on generators with a UPS. I will be back in Germany in 2 months and I still have to ship the rig back. Can I hold out until the end of October?

ATHLON 4000+X2 @ 2.4GHZ
CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
PNY 7600GT (2) SLI
(2) 320GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA'S RAID 0
GIGABYTE M55-SLI MOBO
MAD DOG DVD RW +/-
2 120MM FANS
3 80MM FANS
ZALMAN CNPS9500 HSF
*I might liquid cool it after I get back to Germany, I don't have an AC there and it can get hot for a couple of months in the summer time, but here in Iraq I keep it nice and cool. It's at about 18*C idle, 38*C max.

Is this machine too much for a JPAC 500W with only 1 12v rail at 18a max?

PS - I don't want to take this thread over, just wanted to combine our problems.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Though that is a nice PSU, I noticed from the reviews that it only ships with the cable for 2 rails.

I am looking too. I have the stock PSU for my case which only has (1) 18A 12V rail. When I play games the system crashes sometimes when there is a lot of action. The PSU seems to run pretty hot. I can overclock and run (2) burn-in tests and it's stable, but when I get my raid0 going and gpu's working, I get crashes. My system is as follows.....do you think the PSU is causing the crashes? How important is it for me to upgrade it now? I am in Iraq and running on generators with a UPS. I will be back in Germany in 2 months and I still have to ship the rig back. Can I hold out until the end of October?

ATHLON 4000+X2 @ 2.4GHZ
CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
PNY 7600GT (2) SLI
(2) 320GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA'S RAID 0
GIGABYTE M55-SLI MOBO
MAD DOG DVD RW +/-
2 120MM FANS
3 80MM FANS
ZALMAN CNPS9500 HSF
*I might liquid cool it after I get back to Germany, I don't have an AC there and it can get hot for a couple of months in the summer time, but here in Iraq I keep it nice and cool. It's at about 18*C idle, 38*C max.

Is this machine too much for a JPAC 500W with only 1 12v rail at 18a max?

PS - I don't want to take this thread over, just wanted to combine our problems.

My 550 shipped with a full set of modular cables and as far as I can see in the manual so does the 500W

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
a single 12v rail at 18amps? Did I understand that correctly?

That's not good at all. Especially if you overclock. That is so much equipment drawing off of those 18amps. I would upgrade but whether you should upgrade now depends on why. The wattage of your PSU is plenty. However the amperage is problematic. This much is certain - you couldn't upgrade any components and expect them to run properly with that PSU. I am surprised you don't experience component dropoffs or your computer "rediscovering" components that you thought you already installed. At the very least, don't overclock. If you stuck to stock settings you might can get by until you get back to Germany - possibly.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've been real pleased with the Enermax Liberty. There's one reviewed here and a more thorough evaluation here.

I've never had any problems with Enermax PSUs. These and Antecs are reasonably priced, perform well and last for as long as you need them. This has been my experience anyway.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
a single 12v rail at 18amps? Did I understand that correctly?

That's not good at all. Especially if you overclock. That is so much equipment drawing off of those 18amps. I would upgrade but whether you should upgrade now depends on why. The wattage of your PSU is plenty. However the amperage is problematic. This much is certain - you couldn't upgrade any components and expect them to run properly with that PSU. I am surprised you don't experience component dropoffs or your computer "rediscovering" components that you thought you already installed. At the very least, don't overclock. If you stuck to stock settings you might can get by until you get back to Germany - possibly.

no, its 3 12v rails with 18 amps.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I'm buying the Liberty right now. The modular cables are going to be really nice. Thanks for the help. Hopefully this PSU will get me through my LAN party this weekend. Maybe I will run 2 power supplies for it. Is it the green and black that I have to short to get a psu to come on without MOBO? :p