Pinging the domain Server

Running 2000 Domain with all service packs.
If I ping the netbios name of the domain server, I get a response.
If I ping the fully qualified domain name, I get the host cannot be resolved.

I then tried to add a dns record to the domain server (it is also a dns
server), and I received the following:
A domain by this name already exists, to create a record with this name,
select the domain and then create the record.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running 2000 Domain with all service packs.
>If I ping the netbios name of the domain server, I get a response.
>If I ping the fully qualified domain name, I get the host cannot be resolved.
>
>I then tried to add a dns record to the domain server (it is also a dns
>server), and I received the following:
>A domain by this name already exists, to create a record with this name,
>select the domain and then create the record.

From where are you pinging? Make sure the DNS records for the clients
and servers all point to a DNS server that contains the Active
Directory information about your domain. Also, try nslookup to see if
the server will give you the right response:

start, run, nslookup <enter>
>server IP_of_server_in_question <enter>
>FQDN_of_server_in_question <enter>

Does it give you the right answer?

Sincerely,
Brian S. Bergin
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

I am pinging from my workstation. If I use NS lookup with the IP then I
receive the FQDN. If I use the FQDN then I get unresolved.

I have 2 dsn/domain servers on the same lan.

Owen@7 wrote:
> I am pinging from my workstation. If I use NS lookup with the IP then
> I receive the FQDN. If I use the FQDN then I get unresolved.
>
> I have 2 dsn/domain servers on the same lan.

DNS suffixes set right / matching on all servers/clients? Is DHCP dishing
out the domain suffix properly?