miss configured DNS

Hey everybody,

I have testing the Windows 2003 Enterprise server (comes with my Visual
Studio Enterprise Edition License), I had run the role wizard to create a
Domain Controller, it also create the DSN server. When I run iterative test,
it say me there are a Fail, I also have tried the command based test, and
doesn’t recognize the server, however, when I ping in the server to the DNS
name it resolve the address.
¿What is wrong?. The people of Microsoft told me the server version I’m
running is not a full license, ¿could be this the answer?, ¿could I do
something to fix this problem?.

--
Best Regards,

Gustavo Salvador
5 answers Last reply
More about miss configured

    GustavoS wrote:
    > Hey everybody,
    >
    > I have testing the Windows 2003 Enterprise server (comes with my
    > Visual Studio Enterprise Edition License), I had run the role wizard
    > to create a Domain Controller, it also create the DSN server. When I
    > run iterative test, it say me there are a Fail, I also have tried the
    > command based test, and doesn't recognize the server, however, when I
    > ping in the server to the DNS name it resolve the address.
    > ¿What is wrong?. The people of Microsoft told me the server version
    > I'm running is not a full license, ¿could be this the answer?, ¿could
    > I do something to fix this problem?.

    Configure a forwarder in DNS properties to point to forward to your ISP and
    that should take care of the Iterative tests.

    As far as being a licensed retail version or the MSDN version, DNS should
    still work the same. The MSDN software is not meant for production, but
    rather for testing, research, development and demos..

    Ace

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    =================================

    Thanks Ace for responding,
    Then I’m could be sure my Windows 2003 enterprise version must works well.
    I’m really a newbie on this, so be patient:
    I run the wizard to create the DC and also the DNS servers, but when I run
    the nslookup test tool it response time up DNS server can’t be find, but when
    I ping the server name it answer correctly with it’s IP address, I have
    tried to get information about but it’s hard, so if you can help me, I will
    really appreciate.

    Best Regards,

    Gustavo Salvador

    GustavoS wrote:
    > Thanks Ace for responding,
    > Then I'm could be sure my Windows 2003 enterprise version must works
    > well. I'm really a newbie on this, so be patient:
    > I run the wizard to create the DC and also the DNS servers, but when
    > I run the nslookup test tool it response time up DNS server can't be
    > find, but when I ping the server name it answer correctly with it's
    > IP address, I have tried to get information about but it's hard, so
    > if you can help me, I will really appreciate.

    Make sure you are ONLY pointing to itself for DNS in IP properties. If it's
    the local loopback address (127.0.0.1), change it to the actual IPof this
    machines. Create a reverse zone for your subnet and make sure there is a PTR
    entry for this machine's IP to it's FQDN, and this problem will go away.

    Ace

    Thanks Ace, this works.
    I really apreciate your support.

    Best Regards,