General questions of the Win2000 DNS admin tool

Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.

My dns admin tool looks like the following.
DNS
<IP of server 1>
<IP of server 3>
<Server2name>
Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
Should server2 name be the FQDN?

Regards,
3 answers Last reply
More about general questions win2000 admin tool

    Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
    >1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
    >have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.
    >
    >My dns admin tool looks like the following.
    >DNS
    > <IP of server 1>
    > <IP of server 3>
    > <Server2name>
    >Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
    >Should server2 name be the FQDN?
    >
    >Regards,

    Depends on how you added it to the MMC. You can remove them and add
    them back as FQDN's if you wish.

    Sincerely,
    Brian S. Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

    Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

    NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

    How do you delete? Also, are these zones?

    "Brian S. Bergin" wrote:

    > Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
    > >1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
    > >have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.
    > >
    > >My dns admin tool looks like the following.
    > >DNS
    > > <IP of server 1>
    > > <IP of server 3>
    > > <Server2name>
    > >Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
    > >Should server2 name be the FQDN?
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >

    > Depends on how you added it to the MMC. You can remove them and add
    > them back as FQDN's if you wish.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Brian S. Bergin
    > Terabyte Computers, Inc.
    >
    > Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
    >
    > NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

    Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How do you delete? Also, are these zones?

    If they're what I think they are they're not zones, they're links to
    your other servers. You can remove them by right clicking and delete.

    Sincerely,
    Brian S. Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

    Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

    NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

IP Domain DNS Servers Windows