General questions of the Win2000 DNS admin tool

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 5, 2005 11:13:05 AM

Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.

My dns admin tool looks like the following.
DNS
<IP of server 1>
<IP of server 3>
<Server2name>
Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
Should server2 name be the FQDN?

Regards,
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:29:58 PM

Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
>1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
>have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.
>
>My dns admin tool looks like the following.
>DNS
> <IP of server 1>
> <IP of server 3>
> <Server2name>
>Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
>Should server2 name be the FQDN?
>
>Regards,

Depends on how you added it to the MMC. You can remove them and add
them back as FQDN's if you wish.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Bergin
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:29:59 PM

How do you delete? Also, are these zones?

"Brian S. Bergin" wrote:

> Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Running a win2000 domain. We have 3 sites with 4 domain/dns servers. Servers
> >1 and 2 are at the main office. Servers 3 and 4 are at different locations. I
> >have one zone for the entire company. There are only 150 workstations.
> >
> >My dns admin tool looks like the following.
> >DNS
> > <IP of server 1>
> > <IP of server 3>
> > <Server2name>
> >Why are there IP names for the servers 1 and 3?
> >Should server2 name be the FQDN?
> >
> >Regards,
> >

> Depends on how you added it to the MMC. You can remove them and add
> them back as FQDN's if you wish.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian S. Bergin
> Terabyte Computers, Inc.
>
> Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
>
> NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:00:36 PM

Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do you delete? Also, are these zones?

If they're what I think they are they're not zones, they're links to
your other servers. You can remove them by right clicking and delete.

!