What's wrong with my Kingston memory?

GGuyZ

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Hi everyone.
I've got myself a new system a few days ago. I have the 805 processor, and my purpose is to overclock the system to around 3.6-3.8GHz(180-190FSB).

I have 512x2 Kingston Value DDR II 667MHz.

As odd as it may seem, with the normal use of the 4x memory multiplier, my overclocking process is stopped in 164FSB. The computer wouldn't POST.

Only if I set the memory multiplier to 2.66x, then my computer will be able to POST. I can even go as high as 190FSB with no problems(besides the heat).
3x/3.3x multipliers won't work either, which is weird because that will make my RAM run at 5xx MHz speed, which is more or less the same speed as in stock - 133x4 - 533MHz ram speed in stock.

I tried raising the vdimm and loosening the timings - still nothing.
I don't get it - why do my memories refuse to even get close to stock speed?
What's holding me back here?

Would really appreciate your help, because this is my biggest concern at the moment.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't bother with any more troubleshooting. Just return that memory if possible. If you are setting out to overclock a brand new system, don't get Value RAM unless you like to tinker a lot. Better to buy premium modules right away that are known to OC, or instead just buy a faster setup initially and then wait to OC when it actually gets slow and you want to extend it's life.

GGuyZ

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I'm afraid this is all my budget was able to afford.

I can't really take the memory back, because that's the most quality memories the store I bought from have.

Anyway, I don't need OC ram because I have no intention of overclocking my RAM. In fact, I don't mind running it underclocked at around 5xx MHz speed. But even that won't work. only setting it to 4xx MHz works, unless I'm running my PC at stock bus(133)

So my only realy option is to troubleshoot with this memory. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a hint of what's the problem.

I'm starting to think my MoBo is the culprit, yet I have no way to prove that.

Could anyone help please?

Mondoman

Splendid
What brand and model MB do you have? Will the RAM work if you don't OC the CPU? If so, what memory speed does it run at then? (as reported by e.g. PC Wizard 2006) What are the SPD settings in the RAM? (also available from e.g. PC Wizard)

GGuyZ

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
What brand and model MB do you have? Will the RAM work if you don't OC the CPU? If so, what memory speed does it run at then? (as reported by e.g. PC Wizard 2006) What are the SPD settings in the RAM? (also available from e.g. PC Wizard)

I'm using Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G-RH Motherboard.
If I don't OC then the ram works fine at 533MHz speed. the SPD are 5-5-5-15 for 333MHz(667 effective), 4-4-4-12 for 266MHz(533 effective).

Another weird development I found - If I set the PCI-E to auto, then I can use the 4x is multiplier. However, that forces me to stop at 175FSB because then the memories exceed 700MHz and start producing errors.

I need the 3x/3.3x multipliers - but those fail to work in any case!

any ideas?

GGuyZ

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I can only reach around 470-480MHz with the 2.66X multiplier.

This is a motherboard limitation I guess, but what is the cause of it? what's the connection between the memories multi and the PCIE lock?

I'm trying to get the best results I can, but I keep hitting walls.

Could you please explain how over 200+Mhz difference won't affect performence? -- I'm by no means disrepectful, I'm really trying to understand more.

Of course I will tighten timings that way. but shouldn't using the memories at around 650-700MHz, which is a 200-250MHz increase, outperform tighter timings + lower clock speed?

GGuyZ

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Thank you for the explanation! now I'm much more relaxed!

I guess the only issue now is the one with the HD. do you think it might be due to BIOS update and not because of the PCI lock?