simple dns question

I have a dns server set up, and most things work correctly. I made a zone and
all requests to hosts explicitly defined in that zone resolve. I want any
host in that zone but not given a specific host record to go to my dns
forwarders. That part is not working. If I use a completely different domain
name, forwarding works fine. Here is an example that might be a little easier
to show what I'm trying to do:

A quick example of what I'm trying to do is:
Say I have a zone microsoft.com and in this zone I have a host entry MSDN
pointing some ip address. if I ping msdn.microsoft.com it will resolve the
correct IP, but if I ping www.microsoft.com I want it to see no record exists
and ask a forwarder. Right now it will give a unknown host error. If I ping
www.google.com, where I do not have a zone created, it then sucessfully goes
to a forwarder and resolves the IP address.

This is 2000 server, local server dns interface points to itself.

Thank you.

Sorry - Windows DNS will not forward when it thinks it owns a zone. If it
is configured to have microsoft.com locally, it will never forward anything
that asks for host.microsoft.com. Your DNS server thinks that if it cannot
be resolved locally, it cannot be resolved since it also thinks it is the
SOA for that zone.

kevin

"helpme_745" <helpme_745@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a dns server set up, and most things work correctly. I made a zone
>and
> all requests to hosts explicitly defined in that zone resolve. I want any
> host in that zone but not given a specific host record to go to my dns
> forwarders. That part is not working. If I use a completely different
> domain
> name, forwarding works fine. Here is an example that might be a little
> easier
> to show what I'm trying to do:
>
> A quick example of what I'm trying to do is:
> Say I have a zone microsoft.com and in this zone I have a host entry MSDN
> pointing some ip address. if I ping msdn.microsoft.com it will resolve the
> correct IP, but if I ping www.microsoft.com I want it to see no record
> exists
> and ask a forwarder. Right now it will give a unknown host error. If I
> ping
> www.google.com, where I do not have a zone created, it then sucessfully
> goes
> to a forwarder and resolves the IP address.
>
> This is 2000 server, local server dns interface points to itself.
>
> Thank you.

Why do you think you need to create a microsoft.com zone locally? Just
curious.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I