Secondary dns server

I have a Win2000 AD dns server with primary dns server(not AD
integrated) . I've created a 2nd dns server in another machine but
can't seem to load the master dns copy into it. Both machine is in same
subnet. I've enabled the zone transfer in master dns server. Thanks

Regards
Daniel
6 answers Last reply
More about secondary server

    Brian, forget to tell that my 2nd dns server is using win2003 server
    standard edition. I
    dun understand what the log says, its quite complicated. Where is the
    error usually located ? and how is it looks like ? Thanks

    Rgds
    Daniel

    Brian S. Bergin wrote:
    > danieltan@time.net.my wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Win2000 AD dns server with primary dns server(not AD
    > >integrated) . I've created a 2nd dns server in another machine but
    > >can't seem to load the master dns copy into it. Both machine is in
    same
    > >subnet. I've enabled the zone transfer in master dns server. Thanks
    > >
    > >Regards
    > >Daniel
    >
    > Set DNS logging to full and see what the log says is the error.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Brian S. Bergin
    > Terabyte Computers, Inc.
    >
    > Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
    >
    > NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of
    Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at
    http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

    Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
    primary server domain ?

    Daniel

    danieltan@time.net.my wrote:

    >Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
    >primary server domain ?
    >
    >Daniel

    Nope. So long as your primary is set to allow transfers to all the
    name servers listed in the Name Servers tab in the zone on the SOA box
    then transfers should work. Verify that the secondary name server is
    listed on the Name Servers tab, that the IP is correctly corresponding
    to the secondary name sever, and that under Zone Transfers it's set to
    allow only to the servers listed on the Name Servers tab.

    danieltan@time.net.my wrote:

    >Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
    >primary server domain ?
    >
    >Daniel

    Another thing to try is to verify that the secondary has permission to
    pull the full zone is to use nslookup. Do this:

    Start, run, nslookup <enter>
    server FQDN_of_primary_NS <enter>
    ls zone_name <enter>

    If the secondary has permission to pull the entire zone it will be
    shown to you. If not you'll get:

    *** Can't list domain zone_name: Query refused
    The DNS server refused to transfer the zone colo.comcept.net to your
    computer. If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security
    settings for zone_name on the DNS server at IP address a.b.c.d.

    Sincerely,
    Brian S. Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

    Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

    NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Brian, thanks for your help. It works already but only problem was my
    win2003 server can't seems to ping the FQDN of win2000 server. It
    happens once a while but after sometime it works. any idea why ? But
    ping ip address is ok. So when issuing nslookup, it returns unknown
    server. What is LS command for ? Thanks

    Regards
    Daniel

    Brian S. Bergin wrote:
    > danieltan@time.net.my wrote:
    >
    > >Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in
    the
    > >primary server domain ?
    > >
    > >Daniel
    >
    > Another thing to try is to verify that the secondary has permission
    > pull the full zone is to use nslookup. Do this:
    >
    > Start, run, nslookup <enter>
    > server FQDN_of_primary_NS <enter>
    > ls zone_name <enter>
    >
    > If the secondary has permission to pull the entire zone it will be
    > shown to you. If not you'll get:
    >

    > *** Can't list domain zone_name: Query refused
    > The DNS server refused to transfer the zone colo.comcept.net to your
    > computer. If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security
    > settings for zone_name on the DNS server at IP address a.b.c.d.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Brian S. Bergin
    > Terabyte Computers, Inc.
    >
    > Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
    >
    > NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of
    Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at
    http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.

DNS Server Microsoft DNS Windows