Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Secondary dns server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 10:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have a Win2000 AD dns server with primary dns server(not AD
integrated) . I've created a 2nd dns server in another machine but
can't seem to load the master dns copy into it. Both machine is in same
subnet. I've enabled the zone transfer in master dns server. Thanks

Regards
Daniel

More about : secondary dns server

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:02:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Brian, forget to tell that my 2nd dns server is using win2003 server
standard edition. I
dun understand what the log says, its quite complicated. Where is the
error usually located ? and how is it looks like ? Thanks

Rgds
Daniel


Brian S. Bergin wrote:
> danieltan@time.net.my wrote:
>
> >I have a Win2000 AD dns server with primary dns server(not AD
> >integrated) . I've created a 2nd dns server in another machine but
> >can't seem to load the master dns copy into it. Both machine is in
same
> >subnet. I've enabled the zone transfer in master dns server. Thanks
> >
> >Regards
> >Daniel
>
> Set DNS logging to full and see what the log says is the error.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian S. Bergin
> Terabyte Computers, Inc.
>
> Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
>
> NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of
Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at
http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:27:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
primary server domain ?

Daniel
Related resources
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

danieltan@time.net.my wrote:

>I have a Win2000 AD dns server with primary dns server(not AD
>integrated) . I've created a 2nd dns server in another machine but
>can't seem to load the master dns copy into it. Both machine is in same
>subnet. I've enabled the zone transfer in master dns server. Thanks
>
>Regards
>Daniel

Set DNS logging to full and see what the log says is the error.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Bergin
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:26:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

danieltan@time.net.my wrote:

>Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
>primary server domain ?
>
>Daniel

Nope. So long as your primary is set to allow transfers to all the
name servers listed in the Name Servers tab in the zone on the SOA box
then transfers should work. Verify that the secondary name server is
listed on the Name Servers tab, that the IP is correctly corresponding
to the secondary name sever, and that under Zone Transfers it's set to
allow only to the servers listed on the Name Servers tab.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Bergin
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:28:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

danieltan@time.net.my wrote:

>Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in the
>primary server domain ?
>
>Daniel

Another thing to try is to verify that the secondary has permission to
pull the full zone is to use nslookup. Do this:

Start, run, nslookup <enter>
server FQDN_of_primary_NS <enter>
ls zone_name <enter>

If the secondary has permission to pull the entire zone it will be
shown to you. If not you'll get:


*** Can't list domain zone_name: Query refused
The DNS server refused to transfer the zone colo.comcept.net to your
computer. If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security
settings for zone_name on the DNS server at IP address a.b.c.d.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Bergin
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Brian, thanks for your help. It works already but only problem was my
win2003 server can't seems to ping the FQDN of win2000 server. It
happens once a while but after sometime it works. any idea why ? But
ping ip address is ok. So when issuing nslookup, it returns unknown
server. What is LS command for ? Thanks

Regards
Daniel


Brian S. Bergin wrote:
> danieltan@time.net.my wrote:
>
> >Brian, does it matters if my 2nd dns server is not participated in
the
> >primary server domain ?
> >
> >Daniel
>
> Another thing to try is to verify that the secondary has permission
to
> pull the full zone is to use nslookup. Do this:
>
> Start, run, nslookup <enter>
> server FQDN_of_primary_NS <enter>
> ls zone_name <enter>
>
> If the secondary has permission to pull the entire zone it will be
> shown to you. If not you'll get:
>
>
> *** Can't list domain zone_name: Query refused
> The DNS server refused to transfer the zone colo.comcept.net to your
> computer. If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security
> settings for zone_name on the DNS server at IP address a.b.c.d.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian S. Bergin
> Terabyte Computers, Inc.
>
> Please post replies here so everyone may benefit.
>
> NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of
Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at
http://terabyte.net/terms.htm#postings.
!