DNS host record question

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 7, 2005 3:49:07 PM

We have a windows 2000 DNS server. Our domain controller is also windows
2000 with DNS as well and it is active directory integrated. When I go to
view our DNS, there is a host record with an IP address of 169.254.12.41
translating into our domain. Why is there such entry? When I deleted, it
kept coming back.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:55:52 AM

Tigger wrote:
> We have a windows 2000 DNS server. Our domain controller is also
> windows 2000 with DNS as well and it is active directory integrated.
> When I go to view our DNS, there is a host record with an IP address
> of 169.254.12.41 translating into our domain. Why is there such
> entry? When I deleted, it kept coming back.

Does the DNS server have multiple NICs where one of the NICs is either
unplugged or set to DHCP and can't get an IP address?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 2:22:21 PM

You "aced" it ;)  Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the errant
NIC.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
> Tigger wrote:
>> We have a windows 2000 DNS server. Our domain controller is also
>> windows 2000 with DNS as well and it is active directory integrated.
>> When I go to view our DNS, there is a host record with an IP address
>> of 169.254.12.41 translating into our domain. Why is there such
>> entry? When I deleted, it kept coming back.
>
> Does the DNS server have multiple NICs where one of the NICs is either
> unplugged or set to DHCP and can't get an IP address?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
> =================================

April 11, 2005 3:42:36 AM

Deji Akomolafe wrote:
> You "aced" it ;)  Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
> auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the
> errant NIC.

Cool. Maybe it's just easier to disable it, if he can.

Ace
April 12, 2005 7:48:07 PM

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> Deji Akomolafe wrote:
> > You "aced" it ;)  Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
> > auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the
> > errant NIC.
>
> Cool. Maybe it's just easier to disable it, if he can.
>
> Ace

Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I assumed
its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain controller. But I
already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be something else?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:49:36 AM

Tigger wrote:
> Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I
> assumed its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain
> controller. But I already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be
> something else?

Make sure the NIC is actually disabled, and not just disabled because there
isn't a cable connected.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
April 15, 2005 3:49:37 AM

When I go to device manager, it says disabled. Can I enter the same IP
address on the other NIC but don't connect it to see if that works?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> Tigger wrote:
> > Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I
> > assumed its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain
> > controller. But I already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be
> > something else?
>
> Make sure the NIC is actually disabled, and not just disabled because there
> isn't a cable connected.
>
> --Â?
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:31:43 AM

Tigger wrote:
> When I go to device manager, it says disabled. Can I enter the same
> IP address on the other NIC but don't connect it to see if that works?

Don't do that, you'll just have to make registry entries so that IP address
is registered for the LDAP IP address record.
Run ipconfig /all to see which interface has the IP address in question,
then verify that NIC is disabled. NICs that are disabled won't register. (Or
shouldn't anyway)

Make sure the DNS server is listening only on the IP address that has file
sharing enabled on it.

--?
!