DNS host record question

We have a windows 2000 DNS server. Our domain controller is also windows
2000 with DNS as well and it is active directory integrated. When I go to
view our DNS, there is a host record with an IP address of 169.254.12.41
translating into our domain. Why is there such entry? When I deleted, it
kept coming back.
7 answers Last reply
More about host record question

    Tigger wrote:
    > We have a windows 2000 DNS server. Our domain controller is also
    > windows 2000 with DNS as well and it is active directory integrated.
    > When I go to view our DNS, there is a host record with an IP address
    > of 169.254.12.41 translating into our domain. Why is there such
    > entry? When I deleted, it kept coming back.

    Does the DNS server have multiple NICs where one of the NICs is either
    unplugged or set to DHCP and can't get an IP address?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    =================================

    You "aced" it ;) Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
    auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the errant
    NIC.

    --

    Sincerely,
    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I

    Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    > You "aced" it ;) Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
    > auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the
    > errant NIC.

    Cool. Maybe it's just easier to disable it, if he can.

    Ace

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    > > You "aced" it ;) Now, he needs to read up on the docs for preventing
    > > auto-registration on unused NICs, or simply disable or remove the
    > > errant NIC.
    >
    > Cool. Maybe it's just easier to disable it, if he can.
    >
    > Ace

    Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I assumed
    its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain controller. But I
    already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be something else?

    Tigger wrote:
    > Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I
    > assumed its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain
    > controller. But I already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be
    > something else?

    Make sure the NIC is actually disabled, and not just disabled because there
    isn't a cable connected.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    When I go to device manager, it says disabled. Can I enter the same IP
    address on the other NIC but don't connect it to see if that works?

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > Tigger wrote:
    > > Since this 169.. IP address is associating with our domain name, I
    > > assumed its coimg from one of the NICs on the DNS server/domain
    > > controller. But I already disabled those unused NICs. Could it be
    > > something else?
    >
    > Make sure the NIC is actually disabled, and not just disabled because there
    > isn't a cable connected.
    >
    > --Â?
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Tigger wrote:
    > When I go to device manager, it says disabled. Can I enter the same
    > IP address on the other NIC but don't connect it to see if that works?

    Don't do that, you'll just have to make registry entries so that IP address
    is registered for the LDAP IP address record.
    Run ipconfig /all to see which interface has the IP address in question,
    then verify that NIC is disabled. NICs that are disabled won't register. (Or
    shouldn't anyway)

    Make sure the DNS server is listening only on the IP address that has file
    sharing enabled on it.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:

Windows 2000 Domain Controller DNS Windows