What should Preferred Server be on Secondary DNS?

CB

Hello,
All help is appreciated...

I'm finding conflicting suggestions on the following configuration.

Environment: AD2003 Interim
Primary & Secondary DNS Servers (ns1 & ns2 respectively and both are
DC's)
AD Integrated

Question: What should the Preferred & Alternate server entries in the
TCP/IP Settings be?

I've heard different answers from; a respected author, a Technet
artical, and a PSS rep.

Currently, each is only pointing to itself as Preferred. Everything is
seems fine, but I keep reading there could be "Island DNS" issues.

TIA,
CB

There is no island issue in 2003, so the question is moot.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
"CB" <question@tech.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> All help is appreciated...
>
> I'm finding conflicting suggestions on the following configuration.
>
> Environment: AD2003 Interim
> Primary & Secondary DNS Servers (ns1 & ns2 respectively and both are
> DC's)
> AD Integrated
>
> Question: What should the Preferred & Alternate server entries in the
> TCP/IP Settings be?
>
> I've heard different answers from; a respected author, a Technet
> artical, and a PSS rep.
>
> Currently, each is only pointing to itself as Preferred. Everything is
> seems fine, but I keep reading there could be "Island DNS" issues.
>
> TIA,
> CB

Hi Berry,

Based on my experience, I have discussed a same question about the primary
secondary DNS settings. My view is that it is not a big deal in win2k3
enviornment. I would prefer the following configuration:

Assume there are two domains: MYDC1 and MYDC2. MYDC1 as the master, fill
in its Preferred DNS server field with MYDC1's IP address and leave its
Alternate DNS server to MYDC2.

MYDC2 as the secondary, fill in its Preferred DNS server field with
MYDC1's IP address and leave its Alternate DNS server to MYDC2.

This can ensure two DNS servers maintain a fulll list on the primary DNS;
the secondary DNS server will also get the full list from primary DNS
server via replicateion.

The clients also have the same settings.

With regards to the island DNS, I have found the following third-party
article has the good description:

Island DNS
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/39771/pg/2/2.html

Further questions, please post back.