DNS records not updating

hello everyone,

We have a W2K domain--domain.com, which we use for our forward lookup zone,
but not all the clients on the network are members of the AD domain. Would
this effect clients registering in DNS? I'm thinking it wouldn't make a
difference, but not sure what else to look at...

Here's the situation: I've setup DNS with the above zone and appropriate
reverse zones...we have several. We're changing the clients DNS
configuration, location by location. I have DHCP in one of our locations and
I have it configured to update clients ALWAYS; I've also set it up to update
downlevel clients. All zones are configured to allow dynamic updates (YES)
and the PTR records seem to be getting updated, but the A records are not
getting updated.

Thanks,
Chris
6 answers Last reply
More about records updating

    You can try putting domain.com into the "DNS suffix for this connection" and
    enabling the "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration".

    --

    Sincerely,
    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello everyone,
    >
    > We have a W2K domain--domain.com, which we use for our forward lookup
    > zone,
    > but not all the clients on the network are members of the AD domain. Would
    > this effect clients registering in DNS? I'm thinking it wouldn't make a
    > difference, but not sure what else to look at...
    >
    > Here's the situation: I've setup DNS with the above zone and appropriate
    > reverse zones...we have several. We're changing the clients DNS
    > configuration, location by location. I have DHCP in one of our locations
    > and
    > I have it configured to update clients ALWAYS; I've also set it up to
    > update
    > downlevel clients. All zones are configured to allow dynamic updates (YES)
    > and the PTR records seem to be getting updated, but the A records are not
    > getting updated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Hmmm..I was thinking about that, but will have to touch a lot of PCs, which
    I will have to do eventually....

    Thanks Deji.

    "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    > You can try putting domain.com into the "DNS suffix for this connection"
    and
    > enabling the "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration".
    >

    > --
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    > "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hello everyone,
    > >
    > > We have a W2K domain--domain.com, which we use for our forward lookup
    > > zone,
    > > but not all the clients on the network are members of the AD domain.
    Would
    > > this effect clients registering in DNS? I'm thinking it wouldn't make a
    > > difference, but not sure what else to look at...
    > >
    > > Here's the situation: I've setup DNS with the above zone and appropriate
    > > reverse zones...we have several. We're changing the clients DNS
    > > configuration, location by location. I have DHCP in one of our locations
    > > and
    > > I have it configured to update clients ALWAYS; I've also set it up to
    > > update
    > > downlevel clients. All zones are configured to allow dynamic updates
    (YES)
    > > and the PTR records seem to be getting updated, but the A records are
    not
    > > getting updated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris

    You don't have to touch them, per se - unless of course you like the
    touching part ;)

    If you search on MS script center, you'll likely see snippets of a vbscript
    that you could use remotely. Failing that, netsh should be able to help you.

    --

    > Hmmm..I was thinking about that, but will have to touch a lot of PCs,
    > which
    > I will have to do eventually....
    >
    > Thanks Deji.
    >
    > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    >> You can try putting domain.com into the "DNS suffix for this connection"
    > and
    >> enabling the "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration".
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    >> www.akomolafe.com
    >> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    >> Yesterday? -anon
    >> "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > hello everyone,
    >> >
    >> > We have a W2K domain--domain.com, which we use for our forward lookup
    >> > zone,
    >> > but not all the clients on the network are members of the AD domain.
    > Would
    >> > this effect clients registering in DNS? I'm thinking it wouldn't make a
    >> > difference, but not sure what else to look at...
    >> >
    >> > Here's the situation: I've setup DNS with the above zone and
    >> > appropriate
    >> > reverse zones...we have several. We're changing the clients DNS
    >> > configuration, location by location. I have DHCP in one of our
    >> > locations
    >> > and
    >> > I have it configured to update clients ALWAYS; I've also set it up to
    >> > update
    >> > downlevel clients. All zones are configured to allow dynamic updates
    > (YES)
    >> > and the PTR records seem to be getting updated, but the A records are
    > not
    >> > getting updated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chris

    See that...another reason to hang out in these forums!!! Scripting I'm not
    too familiar with, but need to learn anyway. I know this isn't a script
    forum, but for someone who has taken some programing classes (i understand
    variables, programming constructs and such), can you give me down and dirty
    pointers on getting started with vbscript?

    Cheers!
    > You don't have to touch them, per se - unless of course you like the
    > touching part ;)
    >
    > If you search on MS script center, you'll likely see snippets of a
    vbscript
    > that you could use remotely. Failing that, netsh should be able to help
    you.

    > --
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    > "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hmmm..I was thinking about that, but will have to touch a lot of PCs,
    > > which
    > > I will have to do eventually....
    > >
    > > Thanks Deji.
    > >
    > > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    > >> You can try putting domain.com into the "DNS suffix for this
    connection"
    > > and
    > >> enabling the "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration".
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > >> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > >> www.akomolafe.com
    > >> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > >> Yesterday? -anon
    > >> "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > Would

    > > (YES)
    > > not

    I don't have anything cooked up to send to you right now. But if you are up
    to it, this is what you are looking for:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/setdnsdomain_method_in_class_win32_networkadapterconfiguration.asp

    Snippet of codes to do similar tasks are located here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/client/modify/default.mspx

    HTH

    --

    > See that...another reason to hang out in these forums!!! Scripting I'm not
    > too familiar with, but need to learn anyway. I know this isn't a script
    > forum, but for someone who has taken some programing classes (i understand
    > variables, programming constructs and such), can you give me down and
    > dirty
    > pointers on getting started with vbscript?
    >
    > Cheers!
    > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    >> You don't have to touch them, per se - unless of course you like the
    >> touching part ;)
    >>
    >> If you search on MS script center, you'll likely see snippets of a
    > vbscript
    >> that you could use remotely. Failing that, netsh should be able to help
    > you.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    >> www.akomolafe.com
    >> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    >> Yesterday? -anon
    >> "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hmmm..I was thinking about that, but will have to touch a lot of PCs,
    >> > which
    >> > I will have to do eventually....
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Deji.
    >> >
    >> > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    > connection"
    >> > and

    >> > Would

    >> > (YES)
    >> > not

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > I don't have anything cooked up to send to you right now. But if you are
    up
    > to it, this is what you are looking for:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/setdnsdomain_method_in_class_win32_networkadapterconfiguration.asp

    > Snippet of codes to do similar tasks are located here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/client/modify/default.mspx

    > HTH
    >
    > --
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    > "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > See that...another reason to hang out in these forums!!! Scripting I'm
    not
    > > too familiar with, but need to learn anyway. I know this isn't a script
    > > forum, but for someone who has taken some programing classes (i
    understand
    > > variables, programming constructs and such), can you give me down and
    > > dirty
    > > pointers on getting started with vbscript?
    > >
    > > Cheers!
    > > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
    > >> You don't have to touch them, per se - unless of course you like the
    > >> touching part ;)
    > >>
    > >> If you search on MS script center, you'll likely see snippets of a
    > > vbscript
    > >> that you could use remotely. Failing that, netsh should be able to help
    > > you.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > >> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > >> www.akomolafe.com
    > >> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > >> Yesterday? -anon
    > >> "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > connection"

Domain Microsoft DNS Windows