Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My System log file is filled with "Event ID: 5774, Source:..

Tags:
  • DNS
  • Event Id
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 11, 2005 5:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

To the experienced:

I have a ton of these "Event ID: 5774, Source: netlogon" in my system log
folder. I have done enough research to know that it has something to do with
my DNS configurations. Recently, our workgroup was migrated over to the new
domain, and I recall that when it came to the DNS config's, the gentleman I
was working together with wasn't sure how to, so we left it alone.

The idea was that this person was going to show me the ropes on how to setup
a domain, and use active directory and so forth. Unfortunately, since the
migration, the network has had nothing but small irretating quirks that
continually popr up interrupting the office work flow. These problems
include, 1)slow initial logon, and 2)major connectivity issues with network
mapped pathways. It is important to know that problem #2 is only in Windows
XP Pro Operating Systems.

The Server is running on Windows 2000 Server, and connecting to 12 clients
using Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional Operating
Systems.

Thanks for your time,

Sweeper.

More about : system log file filled event 5774 source

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:48:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Sweeper wrote:
> To the experienced:
>
> I have a ton of these "Event ID: 5774, Source: netlogon" in my system
> log folder. I have done enough research to know that it has something
> to do with my DNS configurations. Recently, our workgroup was
> migrated over to the new domain, and I recall that when it came to
> the DNS config's, the gentleman I was working together with wasn't
> sure how to, so we left it alone.
>
> The idea was that this person was going to show me the ropes on how
> to setup a domain, and use active directory and so forth.
> Unfortunately, since the migration, the network has had nothing but
> small irretating quirks that continually popr up interrupting the
> office work flow. These problems include, 1)slow initial logon, and
> 2)major connectivity issues with network mapped pathways. It is
> important to know that problem #2 is only in Windows XP Pro Operating
> Systems.
>
> The Server is running on Windows 2000 Server, and connecting to 12
> clients using Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional
> Operating Systems.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Sweeper.

This is a classic example when the machines are using an external DNS
address (the ISP's servers probably), in all of the internal machines' IP
properties. Since DNS stores all of AD's service location records, all
machines MUST ONLY use the internal server in their IP properties. So when a
client tries to login, it asks DNS, "Which domain controller do I send my
logon credentials too?". If using the ISP's, that server does not have the
answer, and hence the long logon times, which is actually one of a vast
number of problems that arise from this. Configure a forwarder for efficient
Internet resolution, or just let is use the Root Hints by default.

Also, if you have a single label AD DNS domain name, such as "domain"
instead of "domain.com", that can be a bigger problem, especially if in
conjunction with the above.

Tell you what, instead of conjecturing, can you *please* post some info that
will help us pinpoint this, such as:

1. Ipconfig /all of your server and of one of your clients
2. Name of the AD DNS domain name
3. The spelling of the zone in DNS and if updates are allowed.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
=================================
April 16, 2005 12:45:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Hello Ace,

Thank you for responding so promptly, I will do my best to answer the 3
questions given at the end of your email.

1. Ipconfig /all of your server and of one of your clients:

Here's the server settings:
=================

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name: ppdserver1
Primary DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesiogn.com
paperproductsdesign.com

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 200.200.200.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 200.200.200.1
DHCP Servers: 200.200.200.1

Here's a client setting:
==============

Host Name: dell7gl
Primary DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesiogn.com
paperproductsdesign.com

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 200.200.200.6
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 200.200.200.1
DHCP Server: 200.200.200.1
DNS Servers: 200.200.200.1

Above, the Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank.

2. Name of the AD DNS Domain Name:

ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com

3. The spelling of the zone and if updates are allowed:

Inside Forward Lookup Zones is: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com

It's Active Directory-Integrated and in:

Allow Dynamic updates? is Yes.

I hope I have answered your questions correctly, and thanks for taking the
time.

Sweeper.





"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> Sweeper wrote:
> > To the experienced:
> >
> > I have a ton of these "Event ID: 5774, Source: netlogon" in my system
> > log folder. I have done enough research to know that it has something
> > to do with my DNS configurations. Recently, our workgroup was
> > migrated over to the new domain, and I recall that when it came to
> > the DNS config's, the gentleman I was working together with wasn't
> > sure how to, so we left it alone.
> >
> > The idea was that this person was going to show me the ropes on how
> > to setup a domain, and use active directory and so forth.
> > Unfortunately, since the migration, the network has had nothing but
> > small irretating quirks that continually popr up interrupting the
> > office work flow. These problems include, 1)slow initial logon, and
> > 2)major connectivity issues with network mapped pathways. It is
> > important to know that problem #2 is only in Windows XP Pro Operating
> > Systems.
> >
> > The Server is running on Windows 2000 Server, and connecting to 12
> > clients using Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional
> > Operating Systems.
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> >
> > Sweeper.
>
> This is a classic example when the machines are using an external DNS
> address (the ISP's servers probably), in all of the internal machines' IP
> properties. Since DNS stores all of AD's service location records, all
> machines MUST ONLY use the internal server in their IP properties. So when a
> client tries to login, it asks DNS, "Which domain controller do I send my
> logon credentials too?". If using the ISP's, that server does not have the
> answer, and hence the long logon times, which is actually one of a vast
> number of problems that arise from this. Configure a forwarder for efficient
> Internet resolution, or just let is use the Root Hints by default.
>
> Also, if you have a single label AD DNS domain name, such as "domain"
> instead of "domain.com", that can be a bigger problem, especially if in
> conjunction with the above.
>
> Tell you what, instead of conjecturing, can you *please* post some info that
> will help us pinpoint this, such as:
>
> 1. Ipconfig /all of your server and of one of your clients
> 2. Name of the AD DNS domain name
> 3. The spelling of the zone in DNS and if updates are allowed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
> so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
> =================================
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Sweeper wrote:
> Hello Ace,
>
> Thank you for responding so promptly, I will do my best to answer the
> 3 questions given at the end of your email.
>
> 1. Ipconfig /all of your server and of one of your clients:
>
> Here's the server settings:
> =================
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name: ppdserver1
> Primary DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
> Node Type: Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled: No
> WINS Proxy Enabled: No
> DNS Suffix Search List: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesiogn.com
> paperproductsdesign.com
>
> Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
> DHCP Enabled: Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
> IP Address: 200.200.200.20
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 200.200.200.1
> DHCP Servers: 200.200.200.1
>
> Here's a client setting:
> ==============
>
> Host Name: dell7gl
> Primary DNS Suffix: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
> Node Type: Unknown
> IP Routing Enabled: No
> WINS Proxy Enabled: No
> DNS Suffix Search List: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesiogn.com
> paperproductsdesign.com
>
> Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
> DHCP Enabled: Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
> IP Address: 200.200.200.6
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 200.200.200.1
> DHCP Server: 200.200.200.1
> DNS Servers: 200.200.200.1
>
> Above, the Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank.
>
> 2. Name of the AD DNS Domain Name:
>
> ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
>
> 3. The spelling of the zone and if updates are allowed:
>
> Inside Forward Lookup Zones is: ppdcustom.paperproductsdesign.com
>
> It's Active Directory-Integrated and in:
>
> Allow Dynamic updates? is Yes.
>
> I hope I have answered your questions correctly, and thanks for
> taking the time.

Your problem is several things all rolled into one.
The Domain Controller must have a statically assigned IP address and its
address must be used for DNS in TCP/IP properties of the DC and all members.

If the router is not capable of assigning the Domain Controllers static
address for DNS in its DHCP service, I'd recommend disabling DHCP on the
router and configuring DHCP on a Windows server. If the DC is the only
Windows server then use DHCP on it. Run the new scope wizard, set up the
routers address as the Gateway (option 003), the Domain Controllers address
for the DNS server (option 006) and the Domain Name (option 015)

This will make your errors go away and greatly speed up the start up and
logon time, you didn't mention that part, but I'd put good money on saying
it takes 15 to 30 minutes to start up and logon.



--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
===================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
===================================
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
>
> Your problem is several things all rolled into one.
> The Domain Controller must have a statically assigned IP address and
> its address must be used for DNS in TCP/IP properties of the DC and
> all members.
>
> If the router is not capable of assigning the Domain Controllers
> static address for DNS in its DHCP service, I'd recommend disabling
> DHCP on the router and configuring DHCP on a Windows server. If the
> DC is the only Windows server then use DHCP on it. Run the new scope
> wizard, set up the routers address as the Gateway (option 003), the
> Domain Controllers address for the DNS server (option 006) and the
> Domain Name (option 015)
>
> This will make your errors go away and greatly speed up the start up
> and logon time, you didn't mention that part, but I'd put good money
> on saying it takes 15 to 30 minutes to start up and logon.

That about sums it up!
:-)

Ace
!