New Printers

That means it is CHIP- ed

adriatic

"Adriatic" <a1@adriatix.hr> wrote in message
> That means it is CHIP- ed

Apparently you have some inside information? You've seen the printer and
carts?

Adriatic wrote:
> That means it is CHIP- ed
>
> adriatic

Depends what you mean by that. We'll have to wait and see if these
LED lights merely display ink remaining in the cartridge or are there
for some more "sinister" purpose, like blocking refilling, that would
deny Canon the use of your money. ;-)

-Taliesyn

>>Not exactly clear in the company advert but there may be LED lights on
>>the new cartridges themselves that flash when low on ink, and flash
>>faster when almost out. They can certainly afford to put little lights
>>on the cartridges because, after all, you'll be paying for them, not
>>Canon. ;-)
>>
>>The inks are apparently new improved dye formulations (What! - the old
>>OEM ones got too many complaints???). And again, there's no mention of
>>CD printing capability. It'll take a few months for the compatible ink
>>industry to get the new formulation inks and cartridges to market. This
>>new printer is scheduled for US sale in August (2005). I don't know if
>>Canon has posted a street price for it. I haven't checked since I have
>>no immediate plans to get one until one of my current ones die.
>>
>>-Taliesyn

Canon said:
When you install a new ink tank this >>SMART<< LED system will even glow to
let you know if its >>NOT PROPERY INSTALED<<, making it an ease to use.

Considering HP:

I would not be surprised if they have not already or will very soon burrow
RF chip in theirs thanks

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2005/spt/fs_ink02.pdf

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message

> "Adriatic" <a1@adriatix.hr> wrote in message
> > That means it is CHIP- ed
> >

> Apparently you have some inside information? You've seen the printer and
> carts?

The most possible is to be chipped, because of the huge amount of cheap
canon compatibles form Far East...

--
Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

--

Taliesyn wrote:
> Adriatic wrote:
>
>> That means it is CHIP- ed
>>
>> adriatic
>

> Depends what you mean by that. We'll have to wait and see if these
> LED lights merely display ink remaining in the cartridge or are there
> for some more "sinister" purpose, like blocking refilling, that would
> deny Canon the use of your money. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn

Have to agree with Taliesyn, I read the pres release and I saw nothing
that would indicate any electronics have been added to the new carts.
Sure doesn't take anything new to light an LED, the current prism
detector can just as easily have a light on the printer turn on as
having the printer software popping up an window to notify of low ink.
Same with proper install of cart. Not snapped in properly the prism
detector isn't likely to function if cart not installed fully. Could
just as well notify you that cart not installed correctly.

At this point I don't see the sky falling so to speak. Just slightly
different implementation of what current models do.

Mickey

Mickey wrote:
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Adriatic wrote:
>>
>>> That means it is CHIP- ed
>>>
>>> adriatic
>>

>> Depends what you mean by that. We'll have to wait and see if these
>> LED lights merely display ink remaining in the cartridge or are there
>> for some more "sinister" purpose, like blocking refilling, that would
>> deny Canon the use of your money. ;-)
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>>

> Have to agree with Taliesyn, I read the pres release and I saw nothing
> that would indicate any electronics have been added to the new carts.
> Sure doesn't take anything new to light an LED, the current prism
> detector can just as easily have a light on the printer turn on as
> having the printer software popping up an window to notify of low ink.
> Same with proper install of cart. Not snapped in properly the prism
> detector isn't likely to function if cart not installed fully. Could
> just as well notify you that cart not installed correctly.
>
> At this point I don't see the sky falling so to speak. Just slightly
> different implementation of what current models do.

I was thinking why the lights? I'm guessing they're being incorporated
because the Pixma line of printers have the Pictbridge feature where
you can print photos directly from your digital camera without the use
of a computer. Currently anyone doing it that way wouldn't notice that
they're running out of ink unless they had their computer on and saw
the low ink reminders. I always wondered why no blinking lights on
Canon printers. Even my first Epson, an Epson 500 from 10 years ago
had flashing out of ink lights. Welcome to the 21st Century, Canon.

Yes, it's too early to tell the exact function of the new electronics
involved. They may merely echo the prism readings, or, if they so
wanted, they could have made it that the electronics can't be reset
until a fresh cartridge is installed, much like Epson. I would only
be interested in this printer once compatible cartridges arrived on
the market. I'm not to keen on paying for inks (OEM) that cost as much
as the printer itself. Compatibles shouldn't take more than a few
months to arrive. And, naturally, one of my two printers has to commit
hari kari. Or maybe an assisted suicide. Oh, but that's illegal, isn't
it :). Kidding, I wouldn't junk a good printer.

I just checked the Canon site (US) and there was no street price posted
yet. The drama is killing me. . . not ;-).

-Taliesyn

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
> It was an interesting day for printer introductions. HP announced a new
> line of printers, scanners and cameras, see:
> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2005/spt/newproducts.html
>
> Canon also introduced new printers, see
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=NewProductsAct&fcategoryid=103
>

> Regards,

Did anyone save a copy of these Canon releases? They appear to have been
edited since I looked at them a couple of days a go, and the detail about
colour fade testing has been removed. That detail did not sound particularly
impressive to me, and that's probably why they've removed it. From memory it
had full details about the conditions of the testing - temperature, light
intensity, gases etc. It also for instance said 30 year lifespan under
glass. It doesn't say that any more. Now all it has is the very woolly:

"Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled
temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album
with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints;
results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage
conditions and environmental factors."

Which means ah heck all.

BURT

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/p . fe100.html . Try this link

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>> It was an interesting day for printer introductions. HP announced a new
>> line of printers, scanners and cameras, see:
>> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2005/spt/newproducts.html
>>
>> Canon also introduced new printers, see
>> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=NewProductsAct&fcategoryid=103
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>>

> Did anyone save a copy of these Canon releases? They appear to have been
> edited since I looked at them a couple of days a go, and the detail about
> colour fade testing has been removed. That detail did not sound
> particularly impressive to me, and that's probably why they've removed it.
> From memory it had full details about the conditions of the testing -
> temperature, light intensity, gases etc. It also for instance said 30 year
> lifespan under glass. It doesn't say that any more. Now all it has is the
> very woolly:
>
> "Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled
> temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album
> with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints;
> results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage
> conditions and environmental factors."
>
> Which means ah heck all.

BURT

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/p . fe100.html Sorry to post this
again, but the URL didn't copy properly on the previous post.

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>> It was an interesting day for printer introductions. HP announced a new
>> line of printers, scanners and cameras, see:
>> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2005/spt/newproducts.html
>>
>> Canon also introduced new printers, see
>> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=NewProductsAct&fcategoryid=103
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>>

> Did anyone save a copy of these Canon releases? They appear to have been
> edited since I looked at them a couple of days a go, and the detail about
> colour fade testing has been removed. That detail did not sound
> particularly impressive to me, and that's probably why they've removed it.
> From memory it had full details about the conditions of the testing -
> temperature, light intensity, gases etc. It also for instance said 30 year
> lifespan under glass. It doesn't say that any more. Now all it has is the
> very woolly:
>
> "Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled
> temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album
> with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints;
> results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage
> conditions and environmental factors."
>
> Which means ah heck all.

BURT

One more try - the url was broken into two lines on the post from which it
was copied and the last portion isn't included in the two previous links.

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/p . fe100.html

If the "fe100.html" part isn't included in the link you will have to
reconstruct it in the browser window.

Mickey wrote:

> Have to agree with Taliesyn, I read the pres release and I saw nothing
> that would indicate any electronics have been added to the new carts.
> Sure doesn't take anything new to light an LED, the current prism
> detector can just as easily have a light on the printer turn on as
> having the printer software popping up an window to notify of low ink.
> Same with proper install of cart. Not snapped in properly the prism
> detector isn't likely to function if cart not installed fully. Could
> just as well notify you that cart not installed correctly.
>
> At this point I don't see the sky falling so to speak. Just slightly
> different implementation of what current models do.
>
> Mickey

Since I wrote this yesterday I've read a post from someone that made
an inquiry directly to Canon and received a response. Reported
response did say the new cart were chipped and while looking like the
current offering were shorter.

If this is true, it's a real departure from the past for Canon.

Mickey

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> One more try - the url was broken into two lines on the post from which it
> was copied and the last portion isn't included in the two previous links.
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/p . fe100.html
>
> If the "fe100.html" part isn't included in the link you will have to
> reconstruct it in the browser window.

No - I get Error- Page could not be found. Are you sure that there should be
that stray 'p' in there? I tried it with and without (and with and without
the spaces)

BURT

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20050711_chromalife100.html

Caitlin - The posting had the url truncated with the three dots between p
and fe100.html and there was a wordwrap that broke the url into two parts.
When I copied it to the NG posting it continually lost two of the dots and
left the last part unhighlighted. I got the full url which I show at the
top of this message. Hope it works this time!

> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20050711_chromalife100.html
>
> Caitlin - The posting had the url truncated with the three dots between p
> and fe100.html and there was a wordwrap that broke the url into two parts.
> When I copied it to the NG posting it continually lost two of the dots and
> left the last part unhighlighted. I got the full url which I show at the
> top of this message. Hope it works this time!

Thanks Burt, works great! Maybe that was what I read originally, and it
wasn't in the printer pages after all. I still think it sounds rather
underwhelming.