Network Time (Newbie Q)

We have a network of about 20 computers on a domain - all running
WinXP or 2k. The owner has asked about synchronizing their times (in
general, not to the millisecond), and I'm rather clueless on the
subject ( I didn't set up the network, and the admin is kinda clueless
too).

I tried using a "/net time //[server] /set /yes" batch file in the
startup folder, but it occasionally locked-up the computer or disabled
access to shared drives etc.

Is there some simple way of doing this? Does the "Windows Time"
service running in XP and 2k manage this itself?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about network time newbie

    Hunter wrote:
    > We have a network of about 20 computers on a domain - all running
    > WinXP or 2k. The owner has asked about synchronizing their times (in
    > general, not to the millisecond), and I'm rather clueless on the
    > subject ( I didn't set up the network, and the admin is kinda clueless
    > too).
    >
    > I tried using a "/net time //[server] /set /yes" batch file in the
    > startup folder, but it occasionally locked-up the computer or disabled
    > access to shared drives etc.
    >
    > Is there some simple way of doing this? Does the "Windows Time"
    > service running in XP and 2k manage this itself?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

    In a 2k active directory domain, the machines that are members of the
    domain should be synching time with the domain controller that it
    authenticates to. Nothing should need to be done on your part at all.

    Hunter <neorubicant@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > We have a network of about 20 computers on a domain - all running
    > WinXP or 2k. The owner has asked about synchronizing their times (in
    > general, not to the millisecond), and I'm rather clueless on the
    > subject ( I didn't set up the network, and the admin is kinda clueless
    > too).

    > I tried using a "/net time //[server] /set /yes" batch file in the
    > startup folder, but it occasionally locked-up the computer or disabled
    > access to shared drives etc.

    > Is there some simple way of doing this? Does the "Windows Time"
    > service running in XP and 2k manage this itself?

    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

    Google for 'ntp' there is lot's of software and free servers "out there"

    There is also a newsgroup "comp.protocols.time.ntp" where
    all you never needed to know about ntp is discussed :-)

    --
    Peter Håkanson

    Thank you both very much!

    Hunter wrote:

    > We have a network of about 20 computers on a domain - all running
    > WinXP or 2k. The owner has asked about synchronizing their times (in
    > general, not to the millisecond), and I'm rather clueless on the
    > subject ( I didn't set up the network, and the admin is kinda clueless
    > too).
    >
    > I tried using a "/net time //[server] /set /yes" batch file in the
    > startup folder, but it occasionally locked-up the computer or disabled
    > access to shared drives etc.
    >
    > Is there some simple way of doing this? Does the "Windows Time"
    > service running in XP and 2k manage this itself?

    There are a couple of ways. XP (not sure about W2000) can get it's time
    from an ntp server. Also, if you've got a domain server, it can be used to
    set the time of all computers logging into the domain.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

    > There is also a newsgroup "comp.protocols.time.ntp" where
    > all you never needed to know about ntp is discussed :-)

    The problem is finding time, to join another news group. ;-)

Computers Ethernet Card Networking