could not find a primary authoritative dns server

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have Windows 2000 Adv. Srv. with Active Directory installed. The server is
running NAT. When I installed the server we did not yet have a domain name
so I called the server myserver.domain1.local. Now we have a domain2.com
domain and because I didn't want to reinstall the server or depromote and
repromote it I just typed domain2.com at the "DNS suffix for this
connection" for NIC interface that is connected to the internet and checked
"use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration". I also added a
secondary zone to dns for the domain2.com. The primary zone is on another
computer (say myserver1.domain2.com) and has a Host(A) record that points to
the IP address of the NIC interface of this computer
(myserver2.domain2.com). I can ping myserver2.domain2.com. Everything looks
fine, but netdiag.exe reports: "Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS
server for the name 'myserver2.domain1.local' [RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE" I have
a zone in my DNS for domain1.local. What does this error mean and how can I
fix it? Thanks.

Frank

> The server is running NAT.

Yikes! Could be an issue later...

> When I installed the server we did not yet have a domain name so I called
> the server myserver.domain1.local. Now we have a domain2.com domain and
> because I didn't want to reinstall the server or depromote and repromote
> it I just typed domain2.com at the "DNS suffix for this connection" for
> NIC interface that is connected to the internet and checked "use this
> connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration". I also added a secondary
> zone to dns for the domain2.com. The primary zone is on another computer
> (say myserver1.domain2.com) and has a Host(A) record that points to the IP
> address of the NIC interface of this computer (myserver2.domain2.com). I
> can ping myserver2.domain2.com.

OK, there's a number of issues here, and some big configuration slips...

You have an AD domain called domain1.local and a DC called myserver. You
also have a domain (DNS and/ or AD) called domain2.com. You've tried to
register your DCs IP addresses into this DNS domain. Why?

Firstly, I think you want (and need) to setup DCs for the new domain name.
However, you can implement AD with a different AD and DNS namespace -it just
requires a little extra configuration to get Kerberos and such to work.

I've put together an article on this that may help:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/40/46/

> Everything looks fine, but netdiag.exe reports: "Cannot find a primary
> authoritative DNS server for the name myserver2.domain1.local'
> [RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE" I have a zone in my DNS for domain1.local. What
> does this error mean and how can I fix it? Thanks.

I've not seen this error before, but it looks like you're pointing to SELF
for DNS and you don't hold a copy of the DNS zone in question.

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/