NT server with a .com extension

Hi all

I am in the middle of a migration from NT to 2003 AD. I ma trying to track
down a DNS record on my 2003 AD DNS servers. The A record points to a NT
server box, the NT server box is in the NT domain. When i do a nslookup on my
DNS server for the NT box netbios name it resoves to a FQDN of my 2003 AD
domain. for example

NTnetbiosname.mydomain.com mydomain.com is my AD domain. Also when i search
my DNS servers i cant find this record but when i do an nslookup it disolays
my internal DNS server as the one who resolved it. This seesm wired to me.
Should NT machines that are part of a NT domain have a FQDN in a AD DNS? this
doesnt seem correct either.

Thanks for any help

Sounds like you're using WINS lookup.

With this configuration, the DNS server queries the WINS server. Any NT5.x
clients, and down-level clients configured to use DNS, will talk to the DNS
server first. The DNS server gets the answer from a WINS server if WINS
lookup is enabled and the host record isn't in the zone or a delegated zone,
and the DNS server returns the record as a FQDN.

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Skip

Greate explaination. I have noticed that when my VPN client connect to the
network and launch outlook if the users mailbox is on the 5.5 server Outlook
takes a fefw more seconds to open as opposed to if the users mailbox was on
2003, when i look a the connection settings in the outlook client when its
trying to connect i can see that its trying to make a connection to
5.5mailserver.mydomain.com after about 15 seconds the connections status for
this server switches to 5.5mailserver and the client makes the connection to
the 5.5 email server. The outlook clients are all 2003.

So it seems that Outlook wants to find server by there FQDN