Conditional forwarding / Windows 2000 DNS

At the moment the server has a couple of zones configured and forwards all
unknown requests to our ISPs DNS-Server. Now I need to configure that
requests to a new domain 'someone.org' shall be send to a different
DNS-Server.

In the forwarders-section of properties it says 'conditional forwarding is
not available because this server is a downlevel server' and I cannot add
domains to forward.

What can I do?

"Arno Bosch" <Arno Bosch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At the moment the server has a couple of zones configured and forwards all
> unknown requests to our ISPs DNS-Server. Now I need to configure that
> requests to a new domain 'someone.org' shall be send to a different
> DNS-Server.

Ok, you have deduced that Conditional Forwarding is
one answer.

> In the forwarders-section of properties it says 'conditional forwarding is
> not available because this server is a downlevel server' and I cannot add
> domains to forward.

Normally I would send the following answer, but if you
are USING Forwarders on this machine this would mean
that your forwarders dialog is NOT disabled/locked.

You likely have the a "." zone configured on this server.

You do NOT need it (if you are forwarding to the Internet):

Delete the "." Dot zone

Forwarders will re-enable.

> What can I do?

Do you in fact have a "." zone on this server?

What other zones/types do you have configured?

(The names are not nearly as important as the types, Primary etc...)

There is no "."-zone. There are primary and secondary zones on the server.
The DNS is directory-integrated.

> There is no "."-zone. There are primary and secondary zones on the server.
> The DNS is directory-integrated.

Are all the Primary zones AD Integrated?
(Obviously the Secondary zones are not.)

Note: It only makes sense to say "AD-Integrated"
on a PER zone (per Server) basis.

What is the relationship between these zones?

Is the following (your original message) an EXACT
quote of the error message? [Trying to Google it, the
exact message is needed.]

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> Are all the Primary zones AD Integrated?
Yes.

> What is the relationship between these zones?
what do you mean with relationship?
They are like this:
SE.DE
HVW.SE.DE
BHG.SE.DE

> Is the following (your original message) an EXACT
> quote of the error message? [Trying to Google it, the
> exact message is needed.]
>
> In the forwarders-section of properties it says 'conditional forwarding is
> not available because this server is a downlevel server' and I cannot add
> domains to forward.

This is no error message! This message is displayed. And the Add- and
Remove-Buttons are grayed out.

In between, I am wondering if the DNS of Win2000 is capable of conditional
forwarding at all? But I could not find out anything about that.

Probably I am just using a MMC-SnapIn that is made for Win2003 and displays
this message instead of quoting 'this is not possible with Win2000'.

I interpreted 'downlevel server' as 'DNS-downlevel' and was wondering what
that meant but probably I should interprete it as 'OS-downlevel = to old
operating system'?

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > Are all the Primary zones AD Integrated?
> Yes.
>
> > What is the relationship between these zones?
> what do you mean with relationship?
> They are like this:
> SE.DE
> HVW.SE.DE
> BHG.SE.DE
>
> > Is the following (your original message) an EXACT
> > quote of the error message? [Trying to Google it, the
> > exact message is needed.]
> >
> > In the forwarders-section of properties it says 'conditional forwarding
is
> > not available because this server is a downlevel server' and I cannot
add
> > domains to forward.

Win2003 is needed for Conditional Forwarding.

> This is no error message! This message is displayed. And the Add- and
> Remove-Buttons are grayed out.

Well, the exact message but I though you were referencing
a Win2003 server so the problem is that Win2000 doesn't
support conditional forwarding and you are using the Win2003
DNS MMC.

> In between, I am wondering if the DNS of Win2000 is capable of conditional
> forwarding at all? But I could not find out anything about that.

No. Win2000 only does "total" Forwarding (unconditional?)

> Probably I am just using a MMC-SnapIn that is made for Win2003 and
displays
> this message instead of quoting 'this is not possible with Win2000'.

I now understand the message which I didn't recognize with
that (incorrect) assumption I was making about Win2003.

> I interpreted 'downlevel server' as 'DNS-downlevel' and was wondering
what
> that meant but probably I should interprete it as 'OS-downlevel = to old
> operating system'?

Yes. Sorry it took me so long to catch on to the
actual situation.