Canon IP3000, 4000, 5000, 6000

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
reasons:

I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
change from my Epson 740.

I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.

I want reliability.

I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
custom.

Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?

I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
less inviting.

Which Canon?
47 answers Last reply
More about canon ip3000 4000 5000 6000
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    <eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    > reasons:
    >
    > I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    > visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    > change from my Epson 740.
    >
    > I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >
    > I want reliability.
    >
    > I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    > printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    > get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    > custom.
    >
    > Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    > max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    > choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >
    > I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    > and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    > cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    > ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    > less inviting.
    >
    > Which Canon?
    >

    The 4000 is the best choice for you. This is also the most popular in the
    range.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    <eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    > reasons:
    >
    > I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    > visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    > change from my Epson 740.
    >
    > I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >
    > I want reliability.
    >
    > I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    > printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    > get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    > custom.
    >
    > Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    > max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    > choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >
    > I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    > and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    > cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    > ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    > less inviting.
    >
    > Which Canon?

    You can go onto the Canon website and do a comparison of three printers.
    Of the ones you in which you are interested, the 4000, 5000, and 6000 are
    the ones to check out in my estimation. The 4000 and 5000 have CMYK
    dye-based inks plus a black pigment-based ink for text printing. The 5000
    has a 1 picoliter printhead as opposed to 2 picoliter heads in the other
    two. The 6000 uses CMYK plus photo cyan and photo magenta which are low
    dye-load inks designed to produce more subtle color blends the the cyan and
    magenta range. I use the i960, a six color ink printer in the I series that
    came before the Pixma line and is similar in color printing to the ip6000.
    Since I use this printer only for photo and color graphics I prefer the six
    color ink output and have no need for the pigment-based black for text
    printing.

    The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate. That is
    what I would buy.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Mike wrote:

    ><eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    >>I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    >>reasons:
    >>
    >>I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    >>visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    >>change from my Epson 740.
    >>
    >>I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >>
    >>I want reliability.
    >>
    >>I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    >>printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    >>get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    >>custom.
    >>
    >>Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    >>max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    >>choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >>
    >>I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    >>and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    >>cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    >>ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    >>less inviting.
    >>
    >>Which Canon?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >The 4000 is the best choice for you. This is also the most popular in the
    >range.
    >
    >

    I agree. The only exception is if your print load will be higher for
    text and graphics. Then I would also look at the IP5000. To get the
    best results and reduce the chance of printhead clogs use Canon OEM ink.

    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    ><eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    >>I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    >>reasons:
    >>
    >>I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    >>visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    >>change from my Epson 740.
    >>
    >>I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >>
    >>I want reliability.
    >>
    >>I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    >>printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    >>get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    >>custom.
    >>
    >>Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    >>max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    >>choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >>
    >>I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    >>and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    >>cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    >>ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    >>less inviting.
    >>
    >>Which Canon?
    >>
    >>
    >
    >You can go onto the Canon website and do a comparison of three printers.
    >Of the ones you in which you are interested, the 4000, 5000, and 6000 are
    >the ones to check out in my estimation. The 4000 and 5000 have CMYK
    >dye-based inks plus a black pigment-based ink for text printing. The 5000
    >has a 1 picoliter printhead as opposed to 2 picoliter heads in the other
    >two. The 6000 uses CMYK plus photo cyan and photo magenta which are low
    >dye-load inks designed to produce more subtle color blends the the cyan and
    >magenta range. I use the i960, a six color ink printer in the I series that
    >came before the Pixma line and is similar in color printing to the ip6000.
    >Since I use this printer only for photo and color graphics I prefer the six
    >color ink output and have no need for the pigment-based black for text
    >printing.
    >
    >The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate. That is
    >what I would buy.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    The IP6000 is not a good choice. According to PC Mag tests it is
    slower, marginally worse when printing photos, substantially worse when
    printing text and graphics and more expensive. The only people that
    should consider this printer are those few who want to print photos
    without using a computer.

    If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Measekite always stresses using OEM inks although he has never used non-OEM
    inks. Without personal experience, that is his point of view. MIS and
    Formulabs bulk inks for refilling give comparable results, are one tenth the
    price, and have proven reliable without harm to the printer with several of
    the people who post on this NG. I use MIS inks in my i960, the printer I
    would recommend if it were still available. I have not personally used the
    IP6000 so I can not comment on the issues raised in the magazine reviews.
    If Measekite has actually used it himself you should value his suggestion.
    It is my understanding that his experience is with his own IP4000 with OEM
    ink only, and not an IP6000.

    <eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    > reasons:
    >
    > I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    > visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    > change from my Epson 740.
    >
    > I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >
    > I want reliability.
    >
    > I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    > printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    > get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    > custom.
    >
    > Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    > max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    > choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >
    > I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    > and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    > cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    > ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    > less inviting.
    >
    > Which Canon?
    >
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
    wrotenews:WxUAe.1692$mN1.222@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

    >
    >
    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >><eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >>
    >>>I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    >>>reasons:
    >>>
    >>>I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    >>>visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    >>>change from my Epson 740.
    >>>
    >>>I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >>>
    >>>I want reliability.
    >>>
    >>>I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    >>>printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    >>>get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    >>>custom.
    >>>
    >>>Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    >>>max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    >>>choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >>>
    >>>I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    >>>and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    >>>cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    >>>ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    >>>less inviting.
    >>>
    >>>Which Canon?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>You can go onto the Canon website and do a comparison of three printers.
    >>Of the ones you in which you are interested, the 4000, 5000, and 6000
    >>are the ones to check out in my estimation. The 4000 and 5000 have CMYK
    >>dye-based inks plus a black pigment-based ink for text printing. The
    >>5000 has a 1 picoliter printhead as opposed to 2 picoliter heads in the
    >>other two. The 6000 uses CMYK plus photo cyan and photo magenta which
    >>are low dye-load inks designed to produce more subtle color blends the
    >>the cyan and magenta range. I use the i960, a six color ink printer in
    >>the I series that came before the Pixma line and is similar in color
    >>printing to the ip6000. Since I use this printer only for photo and
    >>color graphics I prefer the six color ink output and have no need for
    >>the pigment-based black for text printing.
    >>
    >>The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate. That
    >>is what I would buy.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    > The IP6000 is not a good choice. According to PC Mag tests it is
    > slower, marginally worse when printing photos, substantially worse when
    > printing text and graphics and more expensive. The only people that
    > should consider this printer are those few who want to print photos
    > without using a computer.
    >
    > If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    > look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    > i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >

    The 3000/4000 are the top rated printers in Consumer Reports and the 6000
    is way down about halfway on the list.


    --
    ---Mapanari---
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
    wrotenews:BJUAe.1487$_%4.110@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

    > Measekite always stresses using OEM inks although he has never used
    > non-OEM inks. Without personal experience, that is his point of view.
    > MIS and Formulabs bulk inks for refilling give comparable results, are
    > one tenth the price, and have proven reliable without harm to the
    > printer with several of the people who post on this NG. I use MIS inks
    > in my i960, the printer I would recommend if it were still available. I
    > have not personally used the IP6000 so I can not comment on the issues
    > raised in the magazine reviews. If Measekite has actually used it
    > himself you should value his suggestion. It is my understanding that his
    > experience is with his own IP4000 with OEM ink only, and not an IP6000.

    He works for canon obviously.

    All the printer companies make all the money on cartridges, not the
    printers.

    In fact, the only reason why Hewlett Packard Computers are even still in
    business, the whole company, is becuase of their absurd pricing for ink
    cartridges. The whole company, all the millions of dollars that Carly
    stole from the shareholders, all that comes from ink carts.


    --
    ---Mapanari---
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Looks like the iP4000 to me!!!
    Thanks for all your information. It has been very interesting to read
    and I appreciate your feedback. THANKS!!!

    eganders
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Looks like the iP4000 to me!!!
    > Thanks for all your information. It has been very interesting to read
    > and I appreciate your feedback. THANKS!!

    Do checkout the deal outpost.com has on the mp750. It's basicly an
    all-in-one unit based on the ip4000.

    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4311355?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    The price is about the same as the ip4000 give or take a few bucks.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Mapanari wrote:

    >measekite <inkystinky@oem.com>
    >wrotenews:WxUAe.1692$mN1.222@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Burt wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>><eganders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>news:1121167104.458861.16810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I am considering Canon printers this time around for the following
    >>>>reasons:
    >>>>
    >>>>I want the option of changing cartridges myself and being able to
    >>>>visually see the levels and individual color cartridges seem a positive
    >>>>change from my Epson 740.
    >>>>
    >>>>I hear the Canon Printers are fast and I want fast.
    >>>>
    >>>>I want reliability.
    >>>>
    >>>>I want good photo results. I am not a professional photographer and
    >>>>printing photos is mostly of interest for photos that would be hard to
    >>>>get from the local suppliers of 4 X 6 & 8 X 10 prints who don't do
    >>>>custom.
    >>>>
    >>>>Now. Which Canon to get? Cost (as long as it is around $200 to $250
    >>>>max) is not the strongest concern. What are are my reasons for
    >>>>choosing between the iP 3000, 4000, 5000 and 6000?
    >>>>
    >>>>I like my Epson 740 for its speed, photo color quality, paper handling
    >>>>and mechanical reliability. I hate my Epson 740 for its clogging
    >>>>cartridges, extremely costly cartridge use/cost, inability to see the
    >>>>ACTUAL ink level and the drying out of the sponge which makes refilling
    >>>>less inviting.
    >>>>
    >>>>Which Canon?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>You can go onto the Canon website and do a comparison of three printers.
    >>>Of the ones you in which you are interested, the 4000, 5000, and 6000
    >>>are the ones to check out in my estimation. The 4000 and 5000 have CMYK
    >>>dye-based inks plus a black pigment-based ink for text printing. The
    >>>5000 has a 1 picoliter printhead as opposed to 2 picoliter heads in the
    >>>other two. The 6000 uses CMYK plus photo cyan and photo magenta which
    >>>are low dye-load inks designed to produce more subtle color blends the
    >>>the cyan and magenta range. I use the i960, a six color ink printer in
    >>>the I series that came before the Pixma line and is similar in color
    >>>printing to the ip6000. Since I use this printer only for photo and
    >>>color graphics I prefer the six color ink output and have no need for
    >>>the pigment-based black for text printing.
    >>>
    >>>The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate. That
    >>>is what I would buy.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>The IP6000 is not a good choice. According to PC Mag tests it is
    >>slower, marginally worse when printing photos, substantially worse when
    >>printing text and graphics and more expensive. The only people that
    >>should consider this printer are those few who want to print photos
    >>without using a computer.
    >>
    >>If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    >>look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    >>i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >The 3000/4000 are the top rated printers in Consumer Reports and the 6000
    >is way down about halfway on the list.
    >
    >
    >

    Burtie Furtie thinks he is a know it all. I think he act like a jerk.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Bought an iP4000 last week at Staples. List price was $149 minus a $30
    > instore rebate minus a $20 Canon rebate. Total = $99

    It's why I made sure to say give or take a few bucks. When you take
    the rebates into account... the ip4000 is often cheaper than the mp750
    from outpost which is $100 + $35ish shipping.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Measekite - the following is a portion of the Terms of Service of your ISP.

    9. MEMBER CONDUCT
    You agree that you will NOT use the Service to:
    (a) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content
    (as defined below) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive,
    harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of
    another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise
    objectionable...

    As a customer of SBC you have agreed to their Terms of Service. Your
    continual changes of my postings and your admission in a previous post that
    your intention is to annoy me is harrassing and abusive behavior. I am
    advising you that I will contact Prodigy, SBC, and Yahoo, if you continue
    this harrassing behavior. If you wish to post responses you have a right to
    state your opinion on this open forum, just as I have that right. You do
    not, however, have the right to harrass me by changing my messages as this
    denies me my right to have my opinion publically stated under my signature.
    Your name calling is also harrassing and defamatory.

    I welcome the open dialogue and responses from all participants, whether
    they agree with me or not. That includes you, Measekite. As you object
    strenuously to people you regard as spammers, I feel the same way about you
    when you change my posts and call me and others names. It is a violation of
    your agreement with SBC and an affront to all who use this forum.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.

    You'll have to check with someone wiser than my self. I've heard from
    many they prefer the output from the i960 than the ip6000. According
    to canon the i960 has 3,072 nozzles [4800 x 1200] where the ip6000
    [4800 x 1200 dpi] has 1536. While the dpi is constent yet the nozzle
    count is higher, I can only assume if these numbers are correct not
    only does the i960 have a different head than the ip6000, but prints a
    wider area at a given time.

    http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html
    http://steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d_pg2.html

    Discuss amongt your selves.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    > The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate. That is
    > what I would buy.

    I'll second that opinion. If you are willing to spend some more ip8500 is
    even better. My experience with ip8500 is just great. Extremely reliable.
    It always works as expected. I believe ip6000 is just as good except it has
    only 6 ink cartridges while ip8500 uses 8.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    >
    > If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    > look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    > i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.

    I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500. Never
    had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of paper
    and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are just as
    good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Mapanari wrote:

    >
    > The 3000/4000 are the top rated printers in Consumer Reports and the 6000
    > is way down about halfway on the list.

    Not I don't believe you but it doesn't make sense. Ip6000 use CMYKPcPM inks
    to print all the colors contained in the image to be printed. Ip3000/4000 use
    only CMYK inks. Some colors will be missing because they are missing the PC
    and PM inks. all these printers use same CMYK inks. It doesn't make sense for
    Canon to produce the highly regarded i960 but screws up on ip6000. I960 uses
    same CMYKPcPm inks as the ip6000 does. Ip6000 is a newer printer than i960.
    It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    > ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    > web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    > with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be corrected.

    The i960 was a $400 printer in 2003. The ip6000 I believe was released
    late 2004 for less money. For all intents and purposes... I think of
    the ip8500 a $400ish (ok $350) as a good replacement for the i960 in
    the fact that there is an improvement and the price mark is about the
    same.

    But I understand where you are comming from, I was shocked as well but
    it makes a fair amount of sense. How could they offer a printer with
    an LCD screen without cutting back somewhere.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be corrected.

    zakezuke wrote:
    >> It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.
    >
    >
    > You'll have to check with someone wiser than my self. I've heard from
    > many they prefer the output from the i960 than the ip6000. According
    > to canon the i960 has 3,072 nozzles [4800 x 1200] where the ip6000
    > [4800 x 1200 dpi] has 1536. While the dpi is constent yet the nozzle
    > count is higher, I can only assume if these numbers are correct not
    > only does the i960 have a different head than the ip6000, but prints a
    > wider area at a given time.
    >
    > http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html
    > http://steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d_pg2.html
    >
    > Discuss amongt your selves.
    >
  19. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Although the ip8500 is
    > rated very highly as a photo printer, the i960 is no slouch. This makes
    > sense if you don't need the lcd screen, two paper feeds, and duplexing,
    >" improvements" that I don't personally need.

    The CD printing I'd find a very useful feature, that and the fact that
    my latté won't fit ontop of the i960 without spilling are the only
    reasons I didn't go with it.

    LCD screen I don't need, but I respect the fact that others would find
    it useful, not that they are trully needed as pictbridge does a fab job
    of allowing cameras to print, but I an still see it useful for basic
    cropping without a pc.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE COMPUTER ILLITERATE PERSON
    > WHO WANTS TO PRINT THEIR WAD WITHOUT A COMPUTER.

    Which is the largest demographic on planet earth. Otherwise why is
    pictbridge so popular?

    Seriously... You know what people do when you tell them that they don't
    need to hookup the printer to the computer? This could include all
    those nice AIOs that are on the market. You know what they do, they
    buy them. Who wants to learn tedius software when you can just pop in
    your memory, press a few buttons, and get prints. You, I, and just
    about anyone else who's computer literate would prefer going into
    photoshop, but we are in the minority. Even among people who own card
    readers, most don't know how to navigate folders down to where the
    images are. I'm not being insulting, this is a fact. And because
    canon's target market is the consumer crowd most of who are hardly
    computer literate (no offence), they are more than willing to sacrafice
    raw print speed in order to just jack in their memory and print bloody
    pictures, and thank the heavens above they don't have to fuss with
    wires or their pc.

    But if you honestly feel the output of the i6000 is inferior, why not
    reccomend the mp750/760/780 to those who actually want the LCD screen
    and ease of use. You points are valid enough that such a
    reccomendation is justified.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1121639202.205001.208010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >> Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    >> ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    >> web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    >> with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be
    >> corrected.
    >
    > The i960 was a $400 printer in 2003. The ip6000 I believe was released
    > late 2004 for less money. For all intents and purposes... I think of
    > the ip8500 a $400ish (ok $350) as a good replacement for the i960 in
    > the fact that there is an improvement and the price mark is about the
    > same.
    >
    > But I understand where you are comming from, I was shocked as well but
    > it makes a fair amount of sense. How could they offer a printer with
    > an LCD screen without cutting back somewhere.

    Still time to buy a new i960 while there are a few in the pipeline (Amazon -
    about $150). I should have bought one when tigerdirect had them new for
    about $80 plus shipping. Just a few weeks ago. Could have just put it ont
    the shelf and saved it til my current i960 dies. Although the ip8500 is
    rated very highly as a photo printer, the i960 is no slouch. This makes
    sense if you don't need the lcd screen, two paper feeds, and duplexing,
    "improvements" that I don't personally need.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    THE IP8500 GETS GOOD REVIEWS. THE IP6000 DOES NOT. IT IS SLOWER THAN
    THE IP4000, MARGINALLY INFERIOR ON PHOTOS AND SUBSTANTIALLY INFERIOR ON
    BUSINESS DOCUMENTS. IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE COMPUTER ILLITERATE PERSON
    WHO WANTS TO PRINT THEIR WAD WITHOUT A COMPUTER.

    Stevelee wrote:

    >
    >
    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >> The ip6000 is available at Amazon today for $112 after a rebate.
    >> That is what I would buy.
    >
    >
    > I'll second that opinion. If you are willing to spend some more ip8500 is
    > even better. My experience with ip8500 is just great. Extremely reliable.
    > It always works as expected. I believe ip6000 is just as good except
    > it has
    > only 6 ink cartridges while ip8500 uses 8.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Stevelee wrote:

    >
    >
    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    >> look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    >> i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >
    >
    > I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    > Never
    > had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of
    > paper
    > and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    > just as
    > good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.


    ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:
    >
    >
    > Stevelee wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> measekite wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    >>> look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    >>> i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    >> Never
    >> had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of
    >> paper
    >> and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >> just as
    >> good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >
    >
    >
    > ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    > ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.

    OEM ink use is not insurance. Registering the printer itself is
    insurance; and it's equally valid for both users or OEM and non OEM.

    And for what it's worth, I use bulk and compatibles in my iP5000 and
    haven't even bothered with registration. Does it look like I'm deeply
    worried. And I don't anticipate the Canon ink "keystone kops" pulling me
    over anytime soon for ink evasion. They're so inept the last time I
    talked to them they asked me to identify (name) the first cartridge in
    my printer beginning from the left. Duhhhhhhh. . . .

    -Taliesyn
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <KfECe.1214$NU2.1050@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    inkystinky@oem.com says...
    >
    >
    > Stevelee wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    > > Never
    > > had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of
    > > paper
    > > and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    > > just as
    > > good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >
    > > > measekite wrote: (shouted, actually)
    > >

    > ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    > ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >

    But what if you saved enough by driving without insurance to buy 2 new
    cars? I haven't seen any sign of problems in 6 months of refilling, but
    even if it was risky, the savings are so huge that they pay for a
    replacemnt printer 2 or 3 times while still under warranty. Using OEM
    cartridges isn't "risky", because it's a SURE loser (no risk involved).
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Stevelee wrote:

    >
    >
    > Mapanari wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> The 3000/4000 are the top rated printers in Consumer Reports and the
    >> 6000 is way down about halfway on the list.
    >
    >
    > Not I don't believe you but it doesn't make sense. Ip6000 use CMYKPcPM
    > inks
    > to print all the colors contained in the image to be printed.
    > Ip3000/4000 use
    > only CMYK inks. Some colors will be missing because they are missing
    > the PC
    > and PM inks. all these printers use same CMYK inks. It doesn't make
    > sense for
    > Canon to produce the highly regarded i960 but screws up on ip6000.
    > I960 uses
    > same CMYKPcPm inks as the ip6000 does. Ip6000 is a newer printer than
    > i960.
    > It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.


    READ ABOUT IT AT

    www.pcmag.com
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >> It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >You'll have to check with someone wiser than my self. I've heard from
    >many they prefer the output from the i960 than the ip6000. According
    >to canon the i960 has 3,072 nozzles [4800 x 1200] where the ip6000
    >[4800 x 1200 dpi] has 1536. While the dpi is constent yet the nozzle
    >count is higher, I can only assume if these numbers are correct not
    >only does the i960 have a different head than the ip6000, but prints a
    >wider area at a given time.
    >
    >http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html
    >http://steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d_pg2.html
    >
    >Discuss amongt your selves.
    >
    >

    www.pcmag.com
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Stevelee wrote:

    > Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    > ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    > web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    > with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be
    > corrected.


    www.pcmag.com


    I told you so but some like to listen to Burtie Furtie

    >
    > zakezuke wrote:
    >
    >>> It really makes no sense for ip6000 to be a poor printer.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You'll have to check with someone wiser than my self. I've heard from
    >> many they prefer the output from the i960 than the ip6000. According
    >> to canon the i960 has 3,072 nozzles [4800 x 1200] where the ip6000
    >> [4800 x 1200 dpi] has 1536. While the dpi is constent yet the nozzle
    >> count is higher, I can only assume if these numbers are correct not
    >> only does the i960 have a different head than the ip6000, but prints a
    >> wider area at a given time.
    >>
    >> http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html
    >> http://steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d_pg2.html
    >>
    >> Discuss amongt your selves.
    >>
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    >>ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    >>web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    >>with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be corrected.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >The i960 was a $400 printer in 2003. The ip6000 I believe was released
    >late 2004 for less money. For all intents and purposes... I think of
    >the ip8500 a $400ish (ok $350) as a good replacement for the i960 in
    >the fact that there is an improvement and the price mark is about the
    >same.
    >
    >

    Yeah, the IP8500 is superior to the i960 and also has twin paper feeds
    and can print duplex. This is a real improvement plus it is nicer
    looking as well.

    >But I understand where you are comming from, I was shocked as well but
    >it makes a fair amount of sense. How could they offer a printer with
    >an LCD screen without cutting back somewhere.
    >
    >

    The LCD screen is a gimmick for most people who really want to fully
    edit their photos.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:1121639202.205001.208010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >
    >>>Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle counts.
    >>>ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    >>>web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent i960
    >>>with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be
    >>>corrected.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>The i960 was a $400 printer in 2003. The ip6000 I believe was released
    >>late 2004 for less money. For all intents and purposes... I think of
    >>the ip8500 a $400ish (ok $350) as a good replacement for the i960 in
    >>the fact that there is an improvement and the price mark is about the
    >>same.
    >>
    >>But I understand where you are comming from, I was shocked as well but
    >>it makes a fair amount of sense. How could they offer a printer with
    >>an LCD screen without cutting back somewhere.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Still time to buy a new i960 while there are a few in the pipeline (Amazon -
    >about $150).
    >
    Who Cares

    >I should have bought one when tigerdirect had them new for
    >about $80 plus shipping. Just a few weeks ago.
    >
    Who cares. Soon the next generation of Pixmas will be out and then the
    i960 will be 2 generations behind.

    >Could have just put it ont
    >the shelf and saved it til my current i960 dies.
    >

    Rather quickly when using aftermarket ink

    >Although the ip8500 is
    >rated very highly as a photo printer, the i960 is no slouch.
    >

    True but why not buy the best.

    > This makes
    >sense if you don't need the lcd screen, two paper feeds, and duplexing,
    >"improvements" that I don't personally need.
    >
    >

    Not interested in your needs. Two paper feeds are always beneficial and
    duplexing can come in handy.

    >
    >
    >
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    >
    >
    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:1121639202.205001.208010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >>
    >>>> Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle
    >>>> counts.
    >>>> ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on Canon's
    >>>> web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an excellent
    >>>> i960
    >>>> with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to be
    >>>> corrected.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> The i960 was a $400 printer in 2003. The ip6000 I believe was released
    >>> late 2004 for less money. For all intents and purposes... I think of
    >>> the ip8500 a $400ish (ok $350) as a good replacement for the i960 in
    >>> the fact that there is an improvement and the price mark is about the
    >>> same.
    >>>
    >>> But I understand where you are comming from, I was shocked as well but
    >>> it makes a fair amount of sense. How could they offer a printer with
    >>> an LCD screen without cutting back somewhere.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> Still time to buy a new i960 while there are a few in the pipeline
    >> (Amazon - about $150).
    >
    > Who Cares
    >
    >> I should have bought one when tigerdirect had them new for about $80
    >> plus shipping. Just a few weeks ago.
    >
    > Who cares. Soon the next generation of Pixmas will be out and then the
    > i960 will be 2 generations behind.
    >
    >> Could have just put it ont the shelf and saved it til my current i960
    >> dies.
    >
    >
    > Rather quickly when using aftermarket ink
    >
    >> Although the ip8500 is rated very highly as a photo printer, the i960
    >> is no slouch.
    >
    >
    > True but why not buy the best.
    >
    >> This makes sense if you don't need the lcd screen, two paper feeds,
    >> and duplexing, "improvements" that I don't personally need.
    >>
    >
    > Not interested in your needs. Two paper feeds are always beneficial and
    > duplexing can come in handy.
    >

    Two paper feeds ARE beneficial. The Canon auto duplexing function is
    more than lame because Manual 'duplexing' is two to three times as fast.
    The auto duplex feature makes fine watching if you're serving a prison
    sentence and have a lot of time on your hands and no TV.

    -Taliesyn
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> Stevelee wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> measekite wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should
    >>>> then look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award
    >>>> winning i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    >>> Never
    >>> had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack
    >>> of paper
    >>> and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >>> just as
    >>> good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    >> ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >
    >
    > OEM ink use is not insurance. Registering the printer itself is
    > insurance; and it's equally valid for both users or OEM and non OEM.
    >
    > And for what it's worth, I use bulk and compatibles in my iP5000 and
    > haven't even bothered with registration. Does it look like I'm deeply
    > worried.

    Children do not worry.

    > And I don't anticipate the Canon ink "keystone kops" pulling me
    > over anytime soon for ink evasion. They're so inept the last time I
    > talked to them they asked me to identify (name) the first cartridge in
    > my printer beginning from the left. Duhhhhhhh. . . .
    >
    > -Taliesyn
  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> Stevelee wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> measekite wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> If you want better results than an IP4000 for photos you should then
    >>>> look at the IP8500, the PIXMA 8 color sibling to the award winning
    >>>> i9900. And be sure to use OEM ink.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    >>> Never
    >>> had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack
    >>> of paper
    >>> and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >>> just as
    >>> good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    >> ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >
    >
    > OEM ink use is not insurance. Registering the printer itself is
    > insurance; and it's equally valid for both users or OEM and non OEM.
    >
    > And for what it's worth, I use bulk and compatibles in my iP5000 and
    > haven't even bothered with registration. Does it look like I'm deeply
    > worried. And I don't anticipate the Canon ink "keystone kops" pulling me
    > over anytime soon for ink evasion. They're so inept the last time I
    > talked to them they asked me to identify (name) the first cartridge in
    > my printer beginning from the left. Duhhhhhhh. . . .
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    Uh, at least in the U.S, you don't have to send in
    a registration card on any purchase. The standard
    guarantee is automatic, the consumer doesn't need
    to do anything (except keep the sales ticket for
    proof of purchase).
  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE COMPUTER ILLITERATE PERSON
    >>WHO WANTS TO PRINT THEIR WAD WITHOUT A COMPUTER.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Which is the largest demographic on planet earth. Otherwise why is
    >pictbridge so popular?
    >
    >Seriously... You know what people do when you tell them that they don't
    >need to hookup the printer to the computer? This could include all
    >those nice AIOs that are on the market. You know what they do, they
    >buy them. Who wants to learn tedius software when you can just pop in
    >your memory, press a few buttons, and get prints. You, I, and just
    >about anyone else who's computer literate would prefer going into
    >photoshop, but we are in the minority. Even among people who own card
    >readers, most don't know how to navigate folders down to where the
    >images are. I'm not being insulting, this is a fact. And because
    >canon's target market is the consumer crowd most of who are hardly
    >computer literate (no offence), they are more than willing to sacrafice
    >raw print speed in order to just jack in their memory and print bloody
    >pictures, and thank the heavens above they don't have to fuss with
    >wires or their pc.
    >
    >But if you honestly feel the output of the i6000 is inferior, why not
    >reccomend the mp750/760/780 to those who actually want the LCD screen
    >and ease of use. You points are valid enough that such a
    >reccomendation is justified.
    >
    >

    Most multifunction devices are not good values. They cost more and when
    one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional. On the
    other side of the coin they do take up less space. One of the better
    MPDs is the Canon MP780 but it is not the best of breed in each
    function. Certain people may find is good for them.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:


    >
    > Most multifunction devices are not good values. They cost more and when
    > one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional. On the
    > other side of the coin they do take up less space. One of the better
    > MPDs is the Canon MP780 but it is not the best of breed in each
    > function. Certain people may find is good for them.

    Worongo dog-breath. Obviously they have a very good place in the market
    otherwise they wouldn't exist, stupid.
    Frank
  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
    > In article <KfECe.1214$NU2.1050@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    > inkystinky@oem.com says...
    >
    >>
    >> Stevelee wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    >>>Never
    >>>had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of
    >>>paper
    >>>and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >>>just as
    >>>good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >>
    >>>>measekite wrote: (shouted, actually)
    >>>
    >
    >>ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    >>ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >>
    >
    >
    > But what if you saved enough by driving without insurance to buy 2 new
    > cars? I haven't seen any sign of problems in 6 months of refilling, but
    > even if it was risky, the savings are so huge that they pay for a
    > replacemnt printer 2 or 3 times while still under warranty. Using OEM
    > cartridges isn't "risky", because it's a SURE loser (no risk involved).

    A self evident truth apparantly not edident to Measekite. Instead of
    1+1=2, to him it's 7. You simply cannot reason with a person like that.

    -Taliesyn
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Most multifunction devices are not good values. They cost more and when
    > one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional. On the
    > other side of the coin they do take up less space. One of the better
    > MPDs is the Canon MP780 but it is not the best of breed in each
    > function. Certain people may find is good for them.

    Your the one who said the ip4000 provides better output than the
    ip6000d. Are you saying that the ip4000 as a printer engine isn't any
    good? I find this most disturbing as this is the one you post about
    all the time. the MP750/760/780 share the same engine and the same
    drivers as the ip4000... are you saying the ip4000 isn't any good?

    >They cost more and when
    > one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional

    This I don't understand. Are you saying that if the scanner fails it
    won't print? If the printer fails it won't scan? If the modem fails
    in the mp780 it won't scan or print? I had no idea.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Most multifunction devices are not good values. They cost more and
    >> when one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not
    >> functional. On the other side of the coin they do take up less
    >> space. One of the better MPDs is the Canon MP780 but it is not the
    >> best of breed in each function. Certain people may find is good for
    >> them.
    >
    >
    > Worongo dog-breath. Obviously they have a very good place in the
    > market otherwise they wouldn't exist, stupid.
    > Frank

    GOOUT AND PLAY IN THE TRAFFIC
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

    >In article <KfECe.1214$NU2.1050@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    >inkystinky@oem.com says...
    >
    >
    >> Stevelee wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my ip8500.
    >>>Never
    >>>had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack of
    >>>paper
    >>>and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >>>just as
    >>>good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>measekite wrote: (shouted, actually)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >
    >
    >
    >>ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD AN
    >>ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >But what if you saved enough by driving without insurance to buy 2 new
    >cars?
    >
    PECKERBLOOMER THAT TELLS ME YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE. ONLY
    ABOURT URSELF.

    >I haven't seen any sign of problems in 6 months of refilling, but
    >even if it was risky, the savings are so huge that they pay for a
    >replacemnt printer 2 or 3 times while still under warranty.
    >

    >Using OEM
    >cartridges isn't "risky",
    >

    THAT IS TRUE


    >because it's a SURE loser (no risk involved).
    >
    >
  40. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
    >
    >> In article <KfECe.1214$NU2.1050@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> inkystinky@oem.com says...
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Stevelee wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I use 3rd party ink and refill from day one when I bought my
    >>>> ip8500. Never
    >>>> had any problem what so ever. Believe me I am talking about a stack
    >>>> of paper
    >>>> and photo (8x11) about one foot thick printed so far. My photos are
    >>>> just as
    >>>> good as those printed with my first set of OEM cartridges.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>> measekite wrote: (shouted, actually)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>
    >>> ITS LIKE DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HAD
    >>> AN ACCIDENT YET THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD DROP YOUR INSURANCE.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> But what if you saved enough by driving without insurance to buy 2
    >> new cars? I haven't seen any sign of problems in 6 months of
    >> refilling, but even if it was risky, the savings are so huge that
    >> they pay for a replacemnt printer 2 or 3 times while still under
    >> warranty. Using OEM cartridges isn't "risky", because it's a SURE
    >> loser (no risk involved).
    >
    >
    > A self evident truth apparantly not edident to Measekite. Instead of
    > 1+1=2, to him it's 7. You simply cannot reason with a person like that.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    WHEN IS YOUR SENIOR PROM? ARE U TAKING UR PRINTER?
  41. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > It is advertisied to have the same print engine as the IP4000 but I am
    > sure there are some differences in the mechanics of how the mechanism works.

    I have the service manual for both printers. I can't find any parts
    that are different except for the power supply which it's a german
    manual with a euro/us auto switching PS and the back feed plastic, and
    the circuit board. Even QM2-1239-000 is identical. The front door on
    the mp7x0 is different and self opening. The print engine, motors,
    gears, the print engine is 100% identical.

    In case you're not aware... Canon has been making print engines since
    your grandfather was in diapers. This is what they do best, make a
    product, mass produce it, and slap other cases around it.

    > I am saying if the printer fails you now have a very expensive oversized
    > scanner. If the modem fails you cannot fax. If the scanner fails you
    > have an overpriced big fat printer and do not have scanning nor send fax
    > capability.

    Overpriced. Street price is $220ish, heck the mp750 was onsale for
    $100 on fry's website, now up to $130 on amazon. The 760 has a low
    street price of $225, where the 780 has the street price of about $180.
    The only thing the 780 has over the 750 is an onboard modem which if
    it fails (unlikely) you can buy seperately. The 750 760 have no
    modem.

    But you seem to be missing the point. You say the ip4000's output is
    superior to that of the ip6000. You say only computer illiterate
    morons would buy the ip6000, which I say makes up most of the
    marketplace. If such a person was going to buy a ip6000 anyway why not
    do something productive and actually reccomend something that prints
    *just like* the ip4000 but takes memory and has a spiffy onboard
    screen. By my estimates you'd pay about $110 extra for these features
    in the mp760, about $20 extra for the mp760 and $70 extra for the
    mp780. It's a question whether you want the color screen (mp760) or
    the sheet feeder (mp750/780) or the modem (mp780).

    But I'm not talking about those extra features, i'm talking about a
    product for people who want to print directly from their cards who
    otherwise wouldn't be able to do so from the pc because they don't know
    how to navigate folders to find the pic or operate the software to do
    it. Unless you are telling me the mp7x0 is so inferior to ip4000 in
    printing dispite it using an identical and I mean identical print
    engine or it's card reader is inferior to the ip6000.

    I know it's hard putting a dollar value on a feature you wouldn't find
    useful. I understand... but given people are willing to spend $200 on
    the ip6000 and you honestly feel the ip4000 is a better choice.... and
    the only feature they need on the mp7x0 is printing from memory cards
    why not recomend the mp7x0? Forget scanning or faxing.... just the
    basic feature of getting an image to paper in as few button presses as
    possible.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>Most multifunction devices are not good values. They cost more and when
    >>one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional. On the
    >>other side of the coin they do take up less space. One of the better
    >>MPDs is the Canon MP780 but it is not the best of breed in each
    >>function. Certain people may find is good for them.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Your the one who said the ip4000 provides better output than the
    >ip6000d. Are you saying that the ip4000 as a printer engine isn't any
    >good?
    >
    No I am not.

    >I find this most disturbing as this is the one you post about
    >all the time. the MP750/760/780 share the same engine and the same
    >drivers as the ip4000... are you saying the ip4000 isn't any good?
    >
    >

    I am not. Multifunction devices are way down on the list in general.
    MP devices usually provide printing, scanning, and fax. You do not get
    best of breed in an MP device. Also, when one goes out fixing is still
    usually cost prohibitive and a pain in the ass. You sort of loose the
    remaining functionality. Also if there is a tech advancement in one or
    the other MP devices you cannot upgrade one function. Like I said they
    are usually simpler to use and take up less space. And while the
    scanning function on a Canon MP780 is not as good as the Epson 4180
    scanner it does have an auto sheetfeeder and a flatbed scanner.

    It is advertisied to have the same print engine as the IP4000 but I am
    sure there are some differences in the mechanics of how the mechanism works.

    >
    >
    >>They cost more and when
    >>one of the multi devices fail the entire unit is not functional
    >>
    >>
    >
    >This I don't understand. Are you saying that if the scanner fails it
    >won't print? If the printer fails it won't scan? If the modem fails
    >in the mp780 it won't scan or print? I had no idea.
    >
    >

    I am saying if the printer fails you now have a very expensive oversized
    scanner. If the modem fails you cannot fax. If the scanner fails you
    have an overpriced big fat printer and do not have scanning nor send fax
    capability.

    In general, it would be better to get an Epson 4180 scanner, and IP4000
    printer, a relatively inexpensive modem, and some fax software. On sale
    all of this would cost less than a MP780 and you can upgrade any of the
    pieces at any time. You also have best of breed.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>It is advertisied to have the same print engine as the IP4000 but I am
    >>sure there are some differences in the mechanics of how the mechanism works.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >I have the service manual for both printers. I can't find any parts
    >that are different except for the power supply which it's a german
    >manual with a euro/us auto switching PS and the back feed plastic, and
    >the circuit board. Even QM2-1239-000 is identical. The front door on
    >the mp7x0 is different and self opening. The print engine, motors,
    >gears, the print engine is 100% identical.
    >
    >In case you're not aware... Canon has been making print engines since
    >your grandfather was in diapers. This is what they do best, make a
    >product, mass produce it, and slap other cases around it.
    >
    >

    JESUS, I DID NOT KNOW THAT CANON MADE PRINT ENGINES WHEN THOMAS
    JEFFERSON WAS PRESIDENT.

    >
    >
    >>I am saying if the printer fails you now have a very expensive oversized
    >>scanner. If the modem fails you cannot fax. If the scanner fails you
    >>have an overpriced big fat printer and do not have scanning nor send fax
    >>capability.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Overpriced. Street price is $220ish, heck the mp750 was onsale for
    >$100 on fry's website, now up to $130 on amazon. The 760 has a low
    >street price of $225, where the 780 has the street price of about $180.
    > The only thing the 780 has over the 750 is an onboard modem which if
    >it fails (unlikely) you can buy seperately. The 750 760 have no
    >modem.
    >
    >

    SOFTWARE MAY BE DIFFERENT. I HAVE NOT CHECKED.

    >But you seem to be missing the point. You say the ip4000's output is
    >superior to that of the ip6000.
    >

    read the review" www.pcmag.com

    >You say only computer illiterate
    >morons would buy the ip6000, which I say makes up most of the
    >marketplace.
    >

    That is not true. That is what a bunch of jerky unprofessional tech
    support people what you to believe. Sure there are many who are like
    that and do not care but not most. I would say that many of this ng
    advisors are worse.

    >If such a person was going to buy a ip6000 anyway why not
    >do something productive and actually reccomend something that prints
    >*just like* the ip4000 but takes memory and has a spiffy onboard
    >screen. By my estimates you'd pay about $110 extra for these features
    >in the mp760, about $20 extra for the mp760 and $70 extra for the
    >mp780. It's a question whether you want the color screen (mp760) or
    >the sheet feeder (mp750/780) or the modem (mp780).
    >
    >But I'm not talking about those extra features, i'm talking about a
    >product for people who want to print directly from their cards who
    >otherwise wouldn't be able to do so from the pc because they don't know
    >how to navigate folders to find the pic or operate the software to do
    >it. Unless you are telling me the mp7x0 is so inferior to ip4000 in
    >printing dispite it using an identical and I mean identical print
    >engine or it's card reader is inferior to the ip6000.
    >
    >I know it's hard putting a dollar value on a feature you wouldn't find
    >useful. I understand... but given people are willing to spend $200 on
    >the ip6000 and you honestly feel the ip4000 is a better choice.... and
    >the only feature they need on the mp7x0 is printing from memory cards
    >why not recomend the mp7x0? Forget scanning or faxing.... just the
    >basic feature of getting an image to paper in as few button presses as
    >possible.
    >
    >

    It is took big.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > I believe that they did not rank the IP6000 very highly not because it
    > is a bad printer but Canon has others in the line that they (and I
    > agree) are much better. An example would be the IP4000 and the IP5000.

    I think if you actualy read the articile they say "The iP6000D's
    performance and quality for business applications make it a poor choice
    as an all-around printer. But its photo performance, quality, and
    photo-printing features make it a reasonable choice if you want a
    second printer specifically for photos." In fact if you look at their
    review on the ip8500 they basicly say the same thing "Text/graphics
    quality and speed are good but not in the same league as photo quality
    and speed.".

    This is why I don't read PC mag but rather made my own judgement. To
    me the ip6000 seems just dandy for a dedicated photo printer esp among
    those who don't want to be limited to PC printing.

    As a pure photo printer, the ip6000 is just fine... if a tad slower
    than the older model i960, but keep in mind the ip6000 is cheaper than
    the ip5000. But I do agree with you the fact that text printing is my
    primary application and while I have older lasers they have reached the
    point that I don't want to muck with them any more, and the ip3000 and
    mp760, while more costly per page for black, are a reasonable
    substute.. if not perfect. I would consider the ip6000 as a
    replacement to my epson r200 for CD printing, covers, and photos.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    " Stevelee" <" Stevelee"@hotmail.com>
    wrotenews:cz1Ce.3677$Rv7.2639@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

    >
    >
    > Mapanari wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> The 3000/4000 are the top rated printers in Consumer Reports and the
    >> 6000 is way down about halfway on the list.
    >
    > Not I don't believe you but it doesn't make sense. Ip6000 use CMYKPcPM
    > inks to print all the colors contained in the image to be printed.
    > Ip3000/4000 use only CMYK inks. Some colors will be missing because they
    > are missing the PC and PM inks. all these printers use same CMYK inks.
    > It doesn't make sense for Canon to produce the highly regarded i960 but
    > screws up on ip6000. I960 uses same CMYKPcPm inks as the ip6000 does.
    > Ip6000 is a newer printer than i960. It really makes no sense for ip6000
    > to be a poor printer.
    >

    Go buy a copy or get a subscription or go the library and read why for
    yourself....about 2-6 months ago.

    --
    ---Mapanari---
  46. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    " Stevelee" <" Stevelee"@hotmail.com>
    wrotenews:qYwCe.4205$_%4.3993@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

    > Just looked at specifications and realized that fact about nozzle
    > counts. ip6000D looks indeed inferior than i960. ip6000 is no longer on
    > Canon's web site. I am shocked at the fact that Canon replaced an
    > excellent i960 with an inferior ip6000. Thanks for the heads up. It's
    > good to be corrected.
    >

    You're welcome.

    Now go out and get a year's subscription to Consumer Reports; online it's
    only about $14 a year!

    --
    ---Mapanari---
  47. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrotenews:4kECe.1235$NU2.687
    @newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:


    >>
    >>http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html
    >>http://steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d_pg2.html
    >>
    >>Discuss amongt your selves.
    >>
    >>
    >
    > www.pcmag.com
    >

    Dumbshit...if you're going to be snarly and smirky and a smartass, at least
    post a full earl!

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1756583,00.asp

    --
    ---Mapanari---
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Canon Peripherals