SRV Record for PDC not being created

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation where the SRV record for the PDC Emulator is not being
created in DNS. I have a local PDC Emulator on my local subnet and the
record then gets created. If I change the role to a remote PDC Emulator, the
current record gets removed, but a new one does not get created.

Anyone know possibly why this happens, no error is logged. Is it perhaps
because the PDC Emulator is on another subnet ?

Thanks
More about record created

    "Chris & Val" <vb@nospam-please.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have a situation where the SRV record for the PDC Emulator is not being
    > created in DNS. I have a local PDC Emulator on my local subnet and the
    > record then gets created. If I change the role to a remote PDC Emulator,
    the
    > current record gets removed, but a new one does not get created.

    Although you may have "checked everything" without you
    having supplied details it makes sense to offer you the standard
    advice about DNS and AD (below **).

    > Anyone know possibly why this happens, no error is logged. Is it perhaps
    > because the PDC Emulator is on another subnet ?

    That should not matter -- DNS doesn't care about subnets.

    ** DNS for AD
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

Subnet Emulator DNS Windows